mtbr member
    Sep 2011

New Jamis Dragon 29 Sport

After bugging people all over this forum for the past few weeks, asking the same questions every other new guy asks, I finally took the plunge, rode quite a few bikes in my price range and made a decision. I bought the 2011 Jamis Dragon 29 Sport this week. It just felt better than everything else I test rode. The components felt sharper, and the bike just fit me. 2 minutes on the test ride and my mind was made up. Thanks to everyone who helped me with an opinion here, or gave me clarification on what some component quality or terminology meant. I have ridden most every day this week and I love the bike. Now, I just can't wait to get it off road a little. I have my first trail planned for Monday afternoon. Can't wait!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Jamis Dragon 29 Sport-img_0793.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Your going to have a blast, the blue looks sharp also

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I am considering the 2012 model. Can you post the size of your bike and how tall are you? I am little over 6 ft tall (183-184 cm) and normally 19"/L-size frames fit me perfect, but the Dragons seem to be a bit on the shorter side when compared to other 19" frames (in terms of wheel base and top tube at least).
    Last edited by nimm_zwei; 10-05-2011 at 07:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'm 6'1", weight 215 or so, and my inseam is 34". I got a large, and the bike fits me perfectly. I tried a few XL's, and I could ride them, but I felt like I was stretched out over the bike too much. I agree that the Dragon 29 is a little shorter in the top tube, but I fit perfectly on a large. The advice I got was to ride both, and if still confused, err on the side of caution and go with the smaller size.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You're gonna love that bike. I picked up the same one about 2 months ago and have put several hundred miles on it with no big issues. Components are solid and take all the abuse I can throw at it. The only thing I have changed is the saddle and the seat post clamp. I found the post would work it's way down about a quarter to one inch over the course of a ride, I just replaced with a salsa clamp and works great. Have fun.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil129 View Post
    You're gonna love that bike. I picked up the same one about 2 months ago and have put several hundred miles on it with no big issues. Components are solid and take all the abuse I can throw at it. The only thing I have changed is the saddle and the seat post clamp. I found the post would work it's way down about a quarter to one inch over the course of a ride, I just replaced with a salsa clamp and works great. Have fun.
    I'm loving it so far. I've put some miles on it in the past few weeks, and I'm very happy with my purchase. One question for you...have you had any loud screaming from the Juicy brakes, while going downhill? My front brake is obnoxious. It works fine...just loud as hell. I've seen the Juicy brake thread over in the brake forum, but I haven't had any luck getting the turkey sound to go away yet. Still working on it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yup have the same problem. I just end up loosening the skewer a bit and move the wheel a bit and then tighten things up again, if that makes sense. Had a buddy sugest this and it seems to work, says it moves the rotor just enough from the pad. It happens to him on occasion on his yeti. Hope that helps cause its annoying as hell.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I thought of you while I was cussing the other day on the trail. I was struggling my ass off going up a hill, and didn't feel like it was that steep of a grade. It was late in the ride and I was sitting and granny gearing it up the hill. I couldn't figure out why it was so hard....until I almost hit my elbows with my knees. My seatpost had fallen almost all the way down. It seems the clamp was loose. I tightened it up and it didn't happen the rest of that ride or the next ride. I suppose I was just enjoying myself and didn't realize I was sliding down slowly...lol. Oh well, if it keeps happening, I'll be looking at that Salsa clamp for sure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Man that sounds familiar lol. Yeah I know that frustration when you' say why the hell is this climb so hard and then you look down or like you said you're elbows almost hit you're knees. I've been on several rides now since I've changed over to that salsa clamp and seat post is still where I set it, well worth the 30 or so bucks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Man that sounds familiar lol. Yeah I know that frustration when you' say why the hell is this climb so hard and then you look down or like you said you're elbows almost hit you're knees. I've been on several rides now since I've changed over to that salsa clamp and seat post is still where I set it, well worth the 30 or so bucks.
    Okay, I've tightened and tweaked this seatpost collar all I can, and I'm still adjusting my seat height 2-3 times per ride. You said you got a Salsa collar....did that completely fix the problem? Also, I have the quick release type, not the kind that required an allen wrench to adjust. Did you get another quick release that works fine, or did you get just the collar that requires the wrench to loosen and tighten? I love having the ability to quickly adjust my seat height, but I don't like slowly sliding downward. Do any quick release collars actually hold the seat in place properly?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yeah I got the salsa with the quick release and it completely solved that issue, no more movement at all. Sorry for the slow response got real busy the last few days, haven't even had time to ride which sucks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I contacted Jamis, and it seems that their customer service guys patrol this board. They even sent me a PM in response to my post. They're sending me a new seatpost clamp by mail. Great customer service, and makes me even happier I went with Jamis. I love the bike, and love knowing that they stand behind their products and are so proactive in taking care of their customers. Big thumbs up to Jamis Bikes!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I've had the same issue in the past. When I had my Gravity Dropper, I used a bolt on clamp. Now that I'm back on a Thomson post, I've got a Salsa QR. IMO...best bang for your buck and for a dude like me that's often cresting 200lbs...essential.
    I get my boards at Lux-RC.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mayberry32 View Post
    I contacted Jamis, and it seems that their customer service guys patrol this board. They even sent me a PM in response to my post. They're sending me a new seatpost clamp by mail. Great customer service, and makes me even happier I went with Jamis. I love the bike, and love knowing that they stand behind their products and are so proactive in taking care of their customers. Big thumbs up to Jamis Bikes!
    Very Cool, glad you're issue got worked out through Jamis. It always nice to have a company stand behind their product.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    How does the steel frame ride? It's Reynolds 853, right?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    It's Reynolds 520, not 853. It's a little heavier, but the frame rides great. I didn't know what people meant about steel frames until I rode one. You really can tell a difference. I considered buying a FS rig until riding the steel hardtail 29er. It rode so much smoother, and just had a better feel to me than any of the aluminum frames I rode. That may have something to do with the geometry of the bike, too....I'm not certain. I just know from the moment I crawled on this bike and pedaled around the parking lot, I knew I was taking it home. It's a great bike, with great components for the price. I couldn't be happier with it. My next upgrade bike could very well be the Race version to lose a few pounds and upgrade a few components.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    mayberry,
    how stable is the front wheel in climbs - any more unwanted front wheel lift in steeper climbs compared to other geometries you may have tried? I hated how my old FS Stumpjumper 26er behaved in that regard, and I couldn't keep the front wheel from zigzaging uphill even after experimenting with stem positions. Also, any toe overlap issues so far?
    Last edited by nimm_zwei; 11-06-2011 at 01:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nimm_zwei View Post
    mayberry,
    how stable is the front wheel in climbs - any more unwanted front wheel lift in steeper climbs compared to other geometries you may have tried? I hated how my old FS Stumpjumper 26er behaved in that regard, and I couldn't keep the front wheel from zigzaging uphill even after experimenting with stem positions. Also, any toe overlap issues so far?
    Front wheel feels very stable on climbs. Being not an advanced rider yet, I sometimes have a little front wheel lift, but it's strictly because of my sitting and granny gearing up hills, and only happens when I come to a very slow speed and try to kick it over something. Normally, I should be standing to do that, anyway.

As for toe overlap, I haven't had a problem. I have slightly scrubbed my shoes, but only on platforms, when turning and pedaling. Even then, it was only a scrub, and when my feet were too far forward on the pedals. I put on clipless pedals today, and tried to scrub the tire, and couldn't when clipped in.

It's a great bike, and I love it. If you're considering buying one, I can't give you a single reason why you shouldn't, unless you can afford and justify spending over $2000 on a new bike.