Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

new jamis AM/FR bike?

Anyone have any clue what the next bike will be to fill the void of the parker and xam? I am really curious

the test dummy
    looking at there site nothing...
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    The XCT series are for XC right? But the geometry looks like it's for trails?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    the XCT series are basically a light AM bike. A while back I heard rumor of a new fr/am bike, but no date. I was curious if any more news cam out.

mountainfreak
    Aug 2009
    Hey Wolfman... we're still testing prototypes here at Camp Jamis. Hang tight! Keep your eyes peeled at Sea Otter this year and you may catch a glimpse of something...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    excellent!

usually cranky
    something like a xam with xct geo would be excellent! really excited to see what they come up with!

I'm SUCH a square....
    Sal, I sure hope there WILL be something at the Otter that will change my mind -- call me a grouch, but nothing in the Jamis lineup now comes close to the XLT! I've heard stories about breakage with the XAM (grain of salt), but the frame geometry leaves me out, I'm too big.

I LOVE my XLT, but have to look elsewhere for future replacement, I know it won't last forever. (Should have bought an extra frame or two from Jenson when they clearanced them....)

As if to support what I said above about the quality of the XLT -- mine's coming up on 4 years old, i ride it EVERY DAY, for everything, it has something around 17,000 miles on it; I'm a big guy, like I said (clyde), and I don't ride easy unless I have my little nephew with me. I'm on my third wheelset, 2nd shock, 3rd saddle, probably 8th set of tires.... My 'baby' still rides like a dream, no pedal bob, I get full use of the travel, and there's NO frame flex.

mtbr member
    Based on no posts about the XLT lately, I thought I was the only one who absolutley loves it as much as the day I bought it. Mine are 2005 year vintage and I've had several shocks and forks on them. I did buy a few extra frames so I hope to have them for a while. I'm not inspired by the XAM and unless something like the XLT rolls around again, I may move on to another brand.

usually cranky
    wouldnt get your hopes up for a new xlt. the chances of jamis going back to fsr is slim to none.

I'm SUCH a square....
    Just FTR, b-kul, Jamis abandoned FSR after '03. My '05 is the "faux-bar", with the pivot above the dropouts. Still an awesome ride.

RSab, you did what I should have -- stocked up. And since '05 had 4 models, all different colors, it would have really been fun to have one of each frame! But the 1.0 was all that was available when I was buying -- no performance diff, I know, but aesthetics count for something......

My XLT has outlasted every car I've ever owned, as well.................

mtbr member
    Yes, I have 3 2.0 (Red) and 2 1.0 (Silver). the are the same, but the shock is different. I took my swinger off when it started acting clunk (SPV sticking). I bought a FOX Float R on Ebay from Bikewagon, $140 or so. Not as adjustable, but more consistant.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Sal, I hope it's already in the works but please get a feature video here or on vital to promote this bike, even if just in prototype form. Actually - especially if it's in prototype form. Build some hype. I love my Jamis, and would love to get a FS bike from you guys, but wish it combined the best of the Parker and Xam with something like adjustable travel. If you could make a bike with 4-6 inches of adjustable travel, I'll put a deposit on it now!
    You guys wanna ride bikes?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Wow! Good to see some Jamis love. I was a bit worried about broken chain stay stories, but I got such a good deal on a used XLT, I couldn't pass it up.

It's my 1st FS, but ridden a few other FS brands when the opportunity arises. Loving the XLT more and more each ride. I must have gotten really lucky to find such a gem for the price.

Sal has been real helpful and my confidence grew.

Jamis hasn't got much fan base where I am, so the price is good for the specs. Can't wait to see what's in store next!

Australia = phun
    Sep 2010
    Jamis hasn't got much fan base where I am, so the price is waaay to expensive for the specs. Can't wait to see what's on its website!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    BUMP

Anything to share Sal???
    You guys wanna ride bikes?

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpedaler
    Just FTR, b-kul, Jamis abandoned FSR after '03. My '05 is the "faux-bar", with the pivot above the dropouts. Still an awesome ride.

RSab, you did what I should have -- stocked up. And since '05 had 4 models, all different colors, it would have really been fun to have one of each frame! But the 1.0 was all that was available when I was buying -- no performance diff, I know, but aesthetics count for something......

My XLT has outlasted every car I've ever owned, as well.................
    yeah i know, i have a 08 jamis xam, favorite bike ever! i think im a jamis guy for life

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I wouldnt mind something that is a cross between the xam and parker. I love my parker, but at times I wish I had a longer Top tube. 22 is kinda short for a 17" seat tube. 22.75 or 23 would have been sweet.

Acutally, a bike like the banshee rune/transition covert would be awesome. Something that targets those directly.
    -can take up to a 170mm fork
    -adjustable rear travel (also would tweak bb and ht angle, like the spitfire)
    -single pivot
    -a medium would have a 17 seat tube and 23" top tube. with 67 deg head angle and 74 deg seat tube. would decend well and then climb

that is what I would want.

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfman00
    I wouldnt mind something that is a cross between the xam and parker. I love my parker, but at times I wish I had a longer Top tube. 22 is kinda short for a 17" seat tube. 22.75 or 23 would have been sweet.

Acutally, a bike like the banshee rune/transition covert would be awesome. Something that targets those directly.
    -can take up to a 170mm fork
    -adjustable rear travel (also would tweak bb and ht angle, like the spitfire)
    -single pivot
    -a medium would have a 17 seat tube and 23" top tube. with 67 deg head angle and 74 deg seat tube. would decend well and then climb

that is what I would want.
    that would be a sick bike. better yet it could take a 180 fork for the bigger days and be able to be dialed down a bit for the trail. with adjustable rear travel from 160-180.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    that would be it. 180 talas or totem 2step

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfman00
    that would be it. 180 talas or totem 2step
    ive never got the 2 step. doesnt it go from 180 to like 115? how is that useful?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I am pretty sure its 180/135. RS forks usually have 45mm of travel adjustment.

usually cranky
    ahhh, your right, dont know where i was pulling those numbers from.

mtbr member

will this hold you over?

light all mountain no problem....
    Attached Images Attached Images

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by alive2ride
    light all mountain no problem....
    no, we wanna see the proto fr bike, not a stock 650b.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast