mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Need some help...Changing gears on my XLT

First off my XLT is brand new, and has less than 100 miles on it! Often times when I change through the gears on the rear sprocket I feel quite a bit of slipping while pedaling. I try to change gears "Lightly" under little power. Any ideas or advice is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Sean

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    That's one of those questions that is not well answered w/o having the bike in hand. You may need to adjust the rear derailleur. Often times on a new bike build, "cable stretch" occurs and you need to do a 1 month'ish tune up.

I'd check that first, also check to make sure your chain is not too long.

Is this occuring when you're climbing?

You have a Deore RD on there, right?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Deore XT. It happens when climbing or riding on a flat surface! I have yet to get my first tune up, so hopefully it will be fixed then. How much play should I have in my chain?
    Thanks,
    Sean

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Hopefully that will fix it.

As far as chain slack...I don't really think that's the case. Shouldn't be anyway. You should be able to shift the chain to the large ring and large cog with just barely enough teeth in the chain to do so. You should never ride in that ratio, but if you ever accidentally shift to it, you won't break anything.

I've been running an XT RD for almost two yrs now and no problems. Love it more than X.9 stuff by far.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks chelboed!!!
    Sean

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006
    Sean,

If I remember correctly from your first posts, you bought your bike from your LBS right? If so, you should take it back to them and they should take care of you pretty much without question or much money. If not, you need to find a new shop.

Secondly, as Chelboed indicated, cable stretch is common, and usually you don't have to do much more than adjust the indexing on your shifters. It doesn't take much, and some pretty good info can be found at http://www.parktool.com/repair/bikemap.asp . Click on the part in question, and you will find quite a few good articles about most everything involved with DIY maintenance. I would start here, if nothing else it will help you build a good knowledge base. If indexing is the problem, it basically means that your derailleur is trying to shift when you don't want it to, and hence the slipping.

What exactly do you mean by "slipping"? Does it feel like you pedal and then the chain pops off the sprocket and then hooks up again? If so, I think you mean skipping. Skipping can happen for multiple reasons that can sometimes be a pain to isolate. If skipping is the problem, there are generally two ways that it happens.

If the skipping doesn't happen every revolution (complete cycle of the pedals), but it happens every 3 or 4, it is likely a bent or stiff link in the chain. This can happen for multiple reasons. It is possible that your chain is in fact new, but that you flipped up a stick or small rock while riding that got crunched in it or something like that. You can figure out just which link it is by putting the bike on a stand (or just lifting up the rear end) and pedaling it backwards slowly, watching the chain go over the cassette, when it skips, there's your link. You could probably have it replaced, and people have different opinions as far as how this will affect the chain in the long term. This happened to me and I just opted to replace it with a higher quality chain.

If the skipping happens every revolution and you have already ruled out derailleur problems, and it is skipping in the back, then it is likely a problem with your cassette. If it happens only in one cog, then you probably have a bent or broken tooth. In this case you pretty much don't use that cog, or replace the cassette (which shouldn't be more than $60 for something decent).

Anyway, I hope that helps.
    Last edited by matamua; 09-02-2007 at 10:14 PM.