mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Need help identifying Jamis model

I'm considering picking up a used Jamis Dakar but it would have to be shipped to me. It's on Craigslist and the owner doesn't know anything about it. I was hoping someone on here could tell me what model Dakar it is and the year. He's asking $700 so wondering if that a good deal too.

Thanks!

Crappy photo:

mtbr member
    The picture is not very good, but to me, it looks like a 2005 Dakar. It shared the frame with the dakar sport, which was a higher model, had an air shock and cable discs. Jenson was clearing the standard dakar out a few years ago for $449 new, but it was stock and had rim brakes, but disc hubs so the upgrade was painless. To me, that sounds high unless there is a bunch of work done. Even then, if you went to Jenson USA, you could by a new Dakar XCT which has 5" of travel rather than 3.5, and get a year warranty for $300 more.

Se here:
    http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...akar&Type=bike

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks! Looks like the one to me. Only thing is that the ad says fox shock and fork and the stock one comes with Manitou. For a 6 year old bike it's very possible they switched it out though. I was hoping it was a higher spec model but oh well!

mtbr member
    The picture of the fork looks like the stock one. Fox has a front arch, Manitou has a rear arch like the photo. The shock is a Fox Vanilla coil, with no adjustments. The wheels are upgrade, the stock ones were rim brakes, the photo look like WTB Speed disc wheels, a minor upgrade.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks man, great eye. I think I'll pass on this one if they were selling for $459 with the other wheels.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I know I'm late to the party but I just sold my 01 custom build Dakar with Rhyno Lites, Bomber Fork, full XT drive train, and Avid BB7 brakes with big rotors for $600. Has the same frame. He's just starting too high. I wouldn't pay more than $400