mtbr member
    May 2007

Need Help Choosing Front Fork!!

Just got into Mt. Biking after a long hiatus. All opinions are welcomed. Just bought a 04 Jamis Dakar XC frame and have all the parts i need except a front fork. I really need some help picking out the right one, don't want to spend more than 500, been looking at FOX but so damn expensive! What does everyone recommend? THANKS!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    For the price range my first choice would probably be a Reba or a Marzochii Marathon. I've also been impressed with the Magura Asgard, original list of $400, now selling on eBay for $200. Not the end all be all fork, but great value for the price.

Former Bike Wrench
    First off, for a Dakar XC...you need a 100mm travel fork. You don't mention your weight so I'll give you some general advice on stanchion (upper tubes) diameter. If your a lighter rider...say under 150lbs than a super lightweight 28-30mm diameter will be ok. 150-190lbs go with at least 30mm and if your over that, might want to stick to 32mm stanchions.

The Reba is a great balance of stiffness and weight. The Marzocchi forks are nice as well, though a bit on the portly side for XC forks. I would also suggest looking at the Manitou R7...its heavily on the XC side of things, but a good, lightweight 100mm fork.

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006

More Dakar fork ?s

I am also looking to upgrade my fork. I have a 19" Dakar XC Expert ('05) and I am currently running a 100mm fork. I am contemplating a 130mm fork like the manitou minute :03. I am about 6'1" and 210lbs.

First off, will the 130mm fork screw up my geometry significantly? Also, do I have to have 32mm stanchions, or can I get away with 30mm? I ride XC, and it is pretty mild. No drops bigger than a foot and a half or so.

Thanks!

Former Bike Wrench
    I used to ride a 2003 Manitou Black on a "trail" full suspension bike. I actually found it to be not so bad for a 30mm stanchioned fork...though it's not as stiff as say a Fox with 32mm stanchions. But for mild trail riding, you'd probably be OK (I assume your looking at a '05 since the '06 has 32mm stanchions).

As far as screwing up your geometry, figure about a degree slacker on the headtube angle and a slightly higher BB. You'll lose a little nimbleness on tight singletrack and the front wheel may wander on steep climbs. But on the flip side, you'll gain some downhill stability.

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006
    I just put my new minute 03 (130mm with 32mm stanchions, 2006) on as well as my new fox rp23. IT IS AN ENTIRELY NEW BIKE!!!

As far as the geo goes, I do notice a very slight bit of wander on my front tire going uphill, but it is hardly even there.

the rp23 is absolutely incredible, and works well with the minute.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

I've got a Reba Race on my Dakar XC Pro...

...and it's an outstanding fork. It's light, highly tunable, utterly reliable and rides great. I would highly recommend it. I have the Poplock remote on mine, which is pretty handy at times, though obviously not a necessity.