Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

My two Jamis frames...

2009 XCT2 after ~250 miles:

2010 XCT3 after ~550 miles:

I also had the linkage bolts shear off at about the 450 mile mark on the XCT3.

Buyer beware... I ride fairly hard, and I'm not small (215lbs), but I'm not taking massive drops or anything, and these welds are obviously problematic. The first break resulted in a reasonably quick end-of-season warranty turnaround via Jenson (1 month from breakage to riding again), the linkage bolts/bearings were also promptly shipped out when they broke, and it they are working on a replacement for the second frame (they sent me the 2010 XCT3 to replace the XCT2), but I'm done with these bikes - replacement will just be sold to defray costs on the 575 I ordered. Jenson have been really great with all of this.

Obsessed Rider
    May 2011

Ouch

I recentley purchached a jamis dakar xct1 from jenson and i love the bike. On my first ride downhill i managed to crack the oem seatpost. Needless to say that was painfull! The bike its seems soild. I weigh 175lbs and i ride it very hard. Seeing that crack in the seems scary

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I suppose you could draw a parallel to cars. Sure there are the occasional issues but overall the thing does what it is intended to do. Im not looking to start a war but what is the point of posting this?

I am waiting on an XAM and in spite of posts regarding cracked chainstays Im still getting the Jamis.

Im serious, dont all brands have issues at times? Isnt there an occasional "lemon" that makes it into the biking community.

Hey Im new to all this so is the point to alert us so we can inspect the affected area ( on your bike) more frequently to avoid injury/accident or are you just unhappy with Jamis.

I see lots of these posts on all brands but to what end???.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    To the end that I think people should look at different brands - 100% of the Jamis frames I've owned have broken after short periods of use - for me, combined with all of the other reports I see/hear of people having the same exact breakages on this brand, it's not the case of it being just an occasional lemon. All brands of course do have the occasional lemon, and any bike can be broken in the right circumstances, but the LBS says they see more broken Jamis frames than any other brand.

The reputation of the brand has absolutely been proven accurate in my experience, so if I think someone can learn from my 'mistake', why would I *not* post?

EDIT: I'm also giving Jenson a thumbs up, which was my other point...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by LookerBob View Post
    To the end that I think people should look at different brands - 100% of the Jamis frames I've owned have broken after short periods of use - for me, combined with all of the other reports I see/hear of people having the same exact breakages on this brand, it's not the case of it being just an occasional lemon. All brands of course do have the occasional lemon, and any bike can be broken in the right circumstances, but the LBS says they see more broken Jamis frames than any other brand.

The reputation of the brand has absolutely been proven accurate in my experience, so if I think someone can learn from my 'mistake', why would I *not* post?

EDIT: I'm also giving Jenson a thumbs up, which was my other point...
    Understood! If the Jamis frames are in general "substandard" why has this not been addressed by Jamis or for that matter why do "we" continue to support Jamis?

I bought Jamis since for the price I was getting what I consider to be a great deal.

Of course if my chainstay cracks, not a good deal at all.

Again, just trying to learn,

J

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by drjay9051 View Post
    Understood! If the Jamis frames are in general "substandard" why has this not been addressed by Jamis or for that matter why do "we" continue to support Jamis?

I bought Jamis since for the price I was getting what I consider to be a great deal.

Of course if my chainstay cracks, not a good deal at all.

Again, just trying to learn,

J
    Well... I think that a lot of people support them for the same reason you listed (and the reason I bought one to begin with) - we found a great deal on one, with much better components than we could get on a different bike for the same money.

I think they are trying to address the issue with new frame designs (see the 2011 complete redesign of the XCTs). Also, I would imagine that even if these bikes are more likely to break than other brands, most of them are still not going to break (for example, a female friend of mine has the same XCT - she'll never break it... she also weighs 125 pounds)... it still was/is financially viable for Jamis to sell the bikes and warranty those that break. You can't just pull a new design out of a hat - it has to be researched, developed, tested, tweaked, etc.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I think they are trying to address the issue with new frame designs (see the 2011 complete redesign of the XCTs).... .[/QUOTE]

I do believe they are addressing issues. i had inquired here about cracking chain stay after my purchase and was advised there was redesign starting with 2009 XAM frames. I feel better about this as mine is an 09'.

Obsessed Rider
    May 2011

Wow

The above pictures are very disturbing.....whats your riding style and what kind of terrain? Serious drops or fall? Do tell because if my 2010 jamis xct1 does the same i will be very upset

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Terrain is usually single track with combination smooth sections, rooty sections, rocky sections... no huge drops... generally no more than 12 - 18", and that rarely. The XCT3 went to Moab and did top of the world/porcupine/etc.

As I mentioned before, I'm not small (215), and I ride fairly hard, but nothing too crazy generally.

The orange bike came apart while I was riding *up* a hill.

Obsessed Rider
    May 2011
    Oh boy....that should not have cracked like that...my old trek 4500 hardtail went over 7 years without any major issues....from falls, drops, jumps and more falls...i took a chance with the jamis xct1 because like u said...bike with better componets at a good price...I'm currently upgrading the componets to prepare for my moab trip....but if the frame fails...then why bother

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    You'll probably be fine - I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    There *are* a lot of frame failures, J. That doesn't mean that every single frame is going to break.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    You'll probably be fine - I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it!
    I have been losing sleep over the last week waiting for my XAM to arrive.

Delivery today!!

I'm praying I have no frame issues but if I do Im sure Jenson will back me up.

What I am not clear on , LookerBob is if there is a manufacturing error in the frame wouldnt there be lots of frame failures? Or is it a matter of a substandard batch of aluminum?

Just not sure why not an across the board problem?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

J

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    LBS says that they see a lot of Jamis breaks on welds... both of mine were!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    There *are* a lot of frame failures, J. That doesn't mean that every single frame is going to break.

Did not know that!

Wonder if its poor aluminum or manufacturing error?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I rode my 2002 Jamis Dakar Comp for 8 years and never broke the frame or chainstay. I did manage to break a pivot bolt a couple years ago but that was the only thing that ever went wrong with the bike. I think Jamis frames might be a little too light weight for heavier riders. Light weight riders should be ok. That said though I have seen broken frames from other manufacturers but not in the numbers of broken Jamis frames.
    09 Jamis XCT2 Marzocchi RC3 ti forks, XT/XTR drivetrain, Mavic Crossrides/ Kenda Nevegal DTC=29lbs

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm waiting for my 2010 XCT 1.0 to get delivered any day now. I really hope I don't end up with a cracked frame, I'm moving from a Cannondale to a Jamis and don't want to regret it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'm hoping that the problems with the Dakar XCT frame is resolved with the 2011 redesign. I started with a 2009 XCT 3 and it broke in the exact same place as the 1st pic (orange frame). It was replaced with a 2010 XCT 3 frame (white) and that cracked on the chain stay in the exact same place as pic #2. That was replaced by an asymmetrical swing arm. A month later the frame cracked in the same place as pic #1 again.

The 2009 frame broke on a Saturday but I was riding on the new replacement by the following Thursday. Very fast response. The swing arm cracked on a Sunday and I had the bike back on Friday of that week. This last replacement took 3 weeks due to supply issues but my LBS turned it around on the same day it arrived. I really hope the 2011 is solid cuz I don't have the $$$ to replace it with something else.
    I'm confident in Jamis warranty process but wish I didn't have to use it.

I'm also 215, no drops, no jumps, just rocky and rooty single track.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    So they are sending you at 2011? Interesting. Makes me think I should build up my 2010 and go ride it until the frame breaks again so I have something worthwhile to sell.

I got the same symmetrical swingarm for mine last week. It sort of took a while... I can't say exactly how long since I had already moved on to a new bike and I wasn't paying attention.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I had the same problem with my 09 xct 2 and Jenson sent me a 2011 XCT 2 thats is bad as hell. I love it lets just hope it does not crack as well. The suspension design is totally different, the shock is straight down almost like a Trek fuel. The only part I dont like is the linkage that holds the shock and seat stay toghether. It looks a little weak but time will tell.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Here is a pic of my 2011 Jamis frame they sent me as a replacement. I may also say that Jenson has been top notch through it all!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My two Jamis frames...-dsci1933.jpg  

Getaway Cycle Center
    Nov 2007

everyone breaks frames

My buddy broke his trek ex8 3 times last yr(09 seat stay, 09 chainstay, and the 2011 replacement on the chainstay. It happens to all of them.

I have many xct that left the shop and none have came back, i have had a few issues with a Xam for the same chainstay crack, but i love mine and still ride it.

Jensen is killing the LBS, i can sell XCT's anymore because of Jensen. You guys are case & point.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Yeah, but I don't live in New Jersey... and there is no local Jamis dealer, for that matter.

I sympathize with LBSs losing business to the internet, and I would certainly pay more to buy from my LBS... but when they are often asking for a price that is *above* MSRP on most items, and well more than twice the cost of buying the item online, as well as often saying it will take a week to get it, when I can have it delivered to my house in two days, it's *really* hard to justify those purchases.

Case in point, I needed a new cassette - I could get a 2010 PG990 for $65 online. MSRP is, I believe, about $110. LBS was asking $128. I would be an idiot to buy that. If the LBS had asked $90, I would've paid it... but there is absolutely no meeting halfway, which is a business model I don't understand.

I know that the LBS probably pays $65 or $70 for that cassette themselves, and they need to make money - I know that they can't match the online price, and I don't expect them to, but it does seem like there is some sort of middle ground where the LBS would make similar or better money by coming down to something reasonable and not losing those sales to the internet. I guess they think that a certain percentage of people through the door don't know enough about components, etc. to bother to look, so they just pay what they are asking, and that (in their mind) is making up for guys like me who come into the shop informed.

In this particular instance (a full bike, in a previous year model), I don't see how you could compete at all, and that certainly sucks for you as a LBS, but as a consumer, I don't have the financial resources to pay twice as much for the same thing (especially when we start talking in thousands of dollars), no matter how much I might like to spend my money locally... but it's not my 'fault' for being a savvy consumer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I was considering the 2010 XCT 1 from Jenson. I went into my local Jamis dealer and they told me they stopped carrying them due to the rear triangles breaking all the time. I still was considering Jamis on the new bike due to the bang for the buck I got. And was still considering Jenson because of how damn cheap they are. But I ended up finding the Dragon 29er for about $150 less than Jenson was offering online at my local shop and I got to ride it the same day I bought it. Ask for a discount and you' just might get one
    Last edited by pkmffl; 08-23-2011 at 08:58 PM.

Getaway Cycle Center
    Nov 2007
    I dont blame you guys at all, i would do it, cheaper and faster how could you argue.
    I actually price match most with in a few $s and I install it too to combat the issue.
    sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt, nature of the business i guess.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast