Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Columbus, GA

My New Jamis XCT 2.0!!

I finally got my hands on my new bike today. It was a little trickier getting it together than I thought but it all eventually went together. I love it. I took a ride around my trail at home and on the street and it's so smooth and quiet. I've got a little bit of tweaking to do, but it's awesome as is.

Diamonback Sound Pedals (only $15!! and they're actually quite well made)

Columbus, GA
    Got a Planet Bike Protege 9.0 Wireless bike computer for it:

mtb
    sweet!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Good to see you're happy with it.
    09 Jamis XCT2 Marzocchi RC3 ti forks, XT/XTR drivetrain, Mavic Crossrides/ Kenda Nevegal DTC=29lbs

Blunt Blazer
    Oct 2010
    hell ya mane enjoy!!!

Columbus, GA
    Thanks guys! Hopefully I'll be able to get in a good ride tomorrow and I'll report back.

usually cranky
    jenson bike? very sweet, almost got one but with a xam.

Columbus, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    jenson bike? very sweet, almost got one but with a xam.
    Yup, got it from Jenson for about half off MSRP.

I went for a 10 mile bike ride today and I bent the rear derailleur quite badly somehow. I bent it back and it's almost back to normal. It was amazing though. The way it grips in the corners and just the way it soaks up the bumps is awesome. It's quite a change after being on a low end hardtail for 7 years. The brakes are better than expected, though the levers need to be adjusted. Overall a great bike.

Columbus, GA
    I just wanted to make an update.

I went to North Carolina about 2 weeks ago with my friend. We rode trails at Pisgah and Dupont. It was awesome. This bike loves to fly over the rollers and it soaks up everything rather well. We rode about 40 miles over 2 days and I had no problems with the bike.

The front brake has now developed the turkey squabble syndrome, and from what I read it's not too uncommon on Juicy brakes to have the problem. I guess I'll test out the warranty.

Also, the paint chips and gets marred very easily. It's not a big deal, as it of course doesn't affect the bike, but I hope Jamis is using some better quality paint now.

A great bike overall, though. I'm very happy with my purchase.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Glad to see you're happy with the bike and its getting some use. I agree that the paint chips too easily but these bikes are meant to be ridden and damage will happen. If mine gets bad enough I might strip my paint off and leave the aluminum with a raw finish depending on how it looks. If I don't like it I'll have to spend the time polishing it out.

You might try cleaning the pads and rotor to see if it will take care of the turkey gobble. I use just a damp paper towel to clean the dust off and it usually does the trick.
    09 Jamis XCT2 Marzocchi RC3 ti forks, XT/XTR drivetrain, Mavic Crossrides/ Kenda Nevegal DTC=29lbs

mtbr member
    What size lizard skin do you have? I want to order one before my xct comes in the mail and don't know what size to get.

Columbus, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by fell_brook View Post
    What size lizard skin do you have? I want to order one before my xct comes in the mail and don't know what size to get.
    I got the Jumbo size which fits pretty well.

Obsessed Rider
    May 2011
    Change out that seatpost!!!!! My 2010 xct1 oem ritchey seatpost cracked on me!!!! Look closley....the seat post is a two piece construction. You can see the faint seamline near the top of the post....ive since rlaced it with a easton havoc bombproof post. Ps.....i like your ride

Columbus, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by graciebarrabjj View Post
    Change out that seatpost!!!!! My 2010 xct1 oem ritchey seatpost cracked on me!!!! Look closley....the seat post is a two piece construction. You can see the faint seamline near the top of the post....ive since rlaced it with a easton havoc bombproof post. Ps.....i like your ride
    I'll look into that. But so far so good. And thanks.

Columbus, GA
    Just making another update...

Over the summer I removed the brake pads and discs and sanded them. The turkey squabble came back pretty quickly, but this time I moved the front disc to the back. It seemed to go away for a while, but I think it's back again. It's not too bad though, since it's in the back and it doesn't get used as hard.

I went to North Carolina again. The bike did well. I recently rode at the local trail here and after the ride I noticed the fork won't rebound all the way. Hopefully I can figure something out with that. I think I'm going to sell the fork and get something else once I get it fixed. I've read about Marzocchi's subpar reliability and other people having similar problems.

I think I may get another derailleur, it seems I've bent it again somehow, and after reading some reviews of it I see other people have had problems with the cage. The cranks creak as well, so I guess I'll pull them off and grease them and see if it helps.

Everything else is pretty much stock still, I'll update again if I do anything else to it. I'm going to bleed the brakes soon.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rcmaster1029 View Post
    Just making another update...

Over the summer I removed the brake pads and discs and sanded them. The turkey squabble came back pretty quickly, but this time I moved the front disc to the back. It seemed to go away for a while, but I think it's back again. It's not too bad though, since it's in the back and it doesn't get used as hard.

I went to North Carolina again. The bike did well. I recently rode at the local trail here and after the ride I noticed the fork won't rebound all the way. Hopefully I can figure something out with that. I think I'm going to sell the fork and get something else once I get it fixed. I've read about Marzocchi's subpar reliability and other people having similar problems.

I think I may get another derailleur, it seems I've bent it again somehow, and after reading some reviews of it I see other people have had problems with the cage. The cranks creak as well, so I guess I'll pull them off and grease them and see if it helps.

Everything else is pretty much stock still, I'll update again if I do anything else to it. I'm going to bleed the brakes soon.

Glad to see you're getting some good riding in on it. I rode the same bike for a while and had an awesome time on it. The 67.5 head angle on these takes a bit to get used to, but rides to your benefit once you have time on them.

I had the same issue with my fork a couple times. The seal would leak, letting air outside the air chamber and not letting it return. The seal kits will run $30-50 I think. I ended up going with a rockshox sektor coil u-turn. If you are looking to upgrade, it's a reasonably priced option and it is great. If you rebuild it you could get a decent return on it. If not, it might not be a bad idea to keep another set of seals in the toolbox. I almost felt like the fork held the other end (the float r) back as far as balanced feel on the bike.

Keeping the bottom bracket clean and greased and these don't seem to die for whatever reason. It's nice to quiet the bike down too.

What kind of shape are the rotors in? Could be part of the brake noise.

Just curiouse, what pressure are you running in the rear shock?

-Tim

Columbus, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by T174M View Post
    Glad to see you're getting some good riding in on it. I rode the same bike for a while and had an awesome time on it. The 67.5 head angle on these takes a bit to get used to, but rides to your benefit once you have time on them.

I had the same issue with my fork a couple times. The seal would leak, letting air outside the air chamber and not letting it return. The seal kits will run $30-50 I think. I ended up going with a rockshox sektor coil u-turn. If you are looking to upgrade, it's a reasonably priced option and it is great. If you rebuild it you could get a decent return on it. If not, it might not be a bad idea to keep another set of seals in the toolbox. I almost felt like the fork held the other end (the float r) back as far as balanced feel on the bike.

Keeping the bottom bracket clean and greased and these don't seem to die for whatever reason. It's nice to quiet the bike down too.

What kind of shape are the rotors in? Could be part of the brake noise.

Just curiouse, what pressure are you running in the rear shock?

-Tim
    You're right about the head angle, at first I was annoyed by it but then I got used to it quickly and it feels weird trying out my old hardtail.

I found a thread on how to fix the fork...it requires a larger o-ring. I think I'll still sell it and get something else, though. I'll check out that Sektor...I've also been eyeballing an X-Fusion Velvet RL.

The rotors, from what I can tell, are in decent shape. I've got a little less than 300 miles on the bike. I've read that many other people have the same problem so I guess it's just some slight imperfection in the rotor that causes it. But the problem is more than just noise, it pretty much vibrates the bike, though it's not nearly as bad in the back as it was in the front.

And I'm actually not sure what pressure I'm running in the rear shock. It seemed fine for me from the factory so I didn't rush in checking it out (even though I should have). I finally got a shock pump today and I only checked the fork. I'll see what it is tomorrow and I'll set it up properly and report back on what I set it at.

I think I read in another XCT thread that you broke your frame and got a 2011 frame? I wish mine would break so I could get that frame as well. I mean I like my frame a lot, it just seems like the new ones are quite a bit better built.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    You're right about the head angle, at first I was annoyed by it but then I got used to it quickly and it feels weird trying out my old hardtail.

I found a thread on how to fix the fork...it requires a larger o-ring. I think I'll still sell it and get something else, though. I'll check out that Sektor...I've also been eyeballing an X-Fusion Velvet RL.

The rotors, from what I can tell, are in decent shape. I've got a little less than 300 miles on the bike. I've read that many other people have the same problem so I guess it's just some slight imperfection in the rotor that causes it. But the problem is more than just noise, it pretty much vibrates the bike, though it's not nearly as bad in the back as it was in the front.

And I'm actually not sure what pressure I'm running in the rear shock. It seemed fine for me from the factory so I didn't rush in checking it out (even though I should have). I finally got a shock pump today and I only checked the fork. I'll see what it is tomorrow and I'll set it up properly and report back on what I set it at.

I think I read in another XCT thread that you broke your frame and got a 2011 frame? I wish mine would break so I could get that frame as well. I mean I like my frame a lot, it just seems like the new ones are quite a bit better built.

Sweet. Messing with fork/shock pressure should be fun, definitely wakes the bike up. I had no complaints with how my 09 rode other than I felt the frame was a little too long for my liking (not the frames fault, my fault for sizing). I ended up with a shoter stem on mine also. The stock stem felt a little twitchy over a slacker bike like the xct for me, but that is probably pretty personal.

And yeah, my frame failed with that wierd support bar under the shock (I'm thining it was added late in the design phase), and they sent me a 2011 frame in two days. The angles are similiar, but the linkage, tubing is different, as well as an updated tapered head tube.

If you end up upgrading the fork, you should be glad you ended up going for it. You'll really appreciate the differences between your rear shock and what the 44 was doing for you. But for now, even just messing with pressures might improve the ride pretty well if you haven't been doing that yet. Just ride a trail your very familiar with and adjust pressures/take notes of how it rode at them and see where you like it best.

I think the xct is a pretty under rated bike. It isn't the flashiest thing, but it's fun when you get on it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    The brakes were one of the first things I replaced on my XCT because they sucked so bad. I went with Hayes and haven't had any compaints since.

Columbus, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver77 View Post
    The brakes were one of the first things I replaced on my XCT because they sucked so bad. I went with Hayes and haven't had any complaints since.
    Yeah, I just looked at your thread again today. It's bad because I want to upgrade so many things on it now, though I think what I want to upgrade most right now is the fork. Good brakes seem to be so expensive (since I already want a new fork), and mine stop me pretty well as is even if they aren't very good overall. I also bought a bleed kit, so that should help a bit as the brake levers have a little too much travel in them, especially the rear brake.

I need to get a job. I'm in school right now, but I only have classes in the morning so I could be working in the afternoon. I think I'll upgrade it in this order : fork, rear derailleur, brakes, tires...and then we'll see from there.

Just wondering, how much did your brakes cost?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yeah, I just looked at your thread again today. It's bad because I want to upgrade so many things on it now, though I think what I want to upgrade most right now is the fork. Good brakes seem to be so expensive (since I already want a new fork), and mine stop me pretty well as is even if they aren't very good overall. I also bought a bleed kit, so that should help a bit as the brake levers have a little too much travel in them, especially the rear brake.

I need to get a job. I'm in school right now, but I only have classes in the morning so I could be working in the afternoon. I think I'll upgrade it in this order : fork, rear derailleur, brakes, tires...and then we'll see from there.

I'm in your shoes too man. Full time engineering student, working 25-30 hours a week at the bike shop. Keep an eye on Chainlove.com: Six Six One Evo Pressure Suit - $94.99 - 62% off , they have good brakes on there every once and a while for atleast 50% off.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

I got them on closeout for $99 each with rotors. I'd say wait until December or January when all the 2011 stuff is getting cleared out. The same goes for the forks too.

Columbus, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by T174M View Post
    I'm in your shoes too man. Full time engineering student, working 25-30 hours a week at the bike shop. Keep an eye on .com: Six Six One Evo Pressure Suit - $94.99 - 62% off , they have good brakes on there every once and a while for atleast 50% off.
    I had heard about that website but quickly forgot about it! This time I installed a nice little add-on to Firefox to remind me when something new pops up.

I was doing engineering as well but decided it was too hard for me. Now I'm in business.

I got them on closeout for $99 each with rotors. I'd say wait until December or January when all the 2011 stuff is getting cleared out. The same goes for the forks too.
    Not too bad. I think I can wait until then.

Columbus, GA
    Do these look like a good buy?

Hayes Stroker Trail Disc Brake 2011 at Price Point

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have the '09 XCT 3, and it came with those brakes (obviously the '09 models though). I have had no issues with stopping power. I always feel like I have enough braking power, even in emergency situations. The easy lever-reach adjustment is great too. My only gripe is that they make a gurgling noise at low speeds ( I usually only experience this around tight switchbacks), but IMO a little noise is worth the stopping power. Besides, how often are you NOT hauling serious beans on the XCT.

I would buy them at $99. That is a great deal IMO.

Editted to let you know I've put probably more than 500 miles with these brakes, and have not had a single issue. None.
    Last edited by mtbmc82; 10-31-2011 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Additional info

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast