mtbr member
    Jul 2011

My Jamis XCT 1.0

I finally got my Jamis bike. Ordered it from Jenson had it ship via APO all the way to Kuwait. It came in one box with the handles, wheels, rear derailleur, pedals and seat apart. It took me like an hour to put it all together and another hour removing all the stickers. You won't believe how many stickers I had to remove off the bike, my finger nails are in pain from all the stickers I peeled.

My previous bike was a 2005 Cannondale F400. First thing I noticed is the welding, while on my F400 you could barely see any welding, the Jamis is like the exact opposite. I guess thats common with most bikes though.

All the parts of course are better than my older bike but not sure why Jamis would include a 2.0 tire with the bike. Another part that felt cheap was the rear hub skewer. The thing at the end which you screw with is made of plastic and looks like it'll be one of the first things to break. The front skewer though was a surprise, I hadn't see one on a bike before but it's a push in from one side and then pull out from the other side system. A lot quicker then the regular screw method.

Anyway had an issue with my rear deraillure so took it over to the local shop and turns out I had mounted it wrong. While there we noticed a problem with the front disc brake. One of the pads wouldn't retract after releasing the brake leaver and so it ends up scraping on the disc. Will leave it for now and check back on it in a week or two after some riding.

My F400 is pretty light and I noticed a good difference in weight between it and the XCT. It's obviously got to be heavier because of the full suspension but I was hoping the difference would be less. That's the only thing I miss in my old bike though.

First modification I did was swap the tires on the Jamis, installed the Botranger FR3 2.35. Second modification will probably be swapping the white grips for black ones.

Gonna take the bike out today, can't wait

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just an update after my first ride.

- The pedals seem to have less ground clearance than my old bike
    - The shift leavers require a double click to change gears? Not sure if that's a problem or that's how it's supposed to be
    - Is there any seat that is actually comfortable?
    - Heavier than my older bike but feels lighter when riding it
    - I have a problem with my front brakes, one of the pads doesn't retract

mtbr member
    Make sure you post a new pic after you make your changes. And some ride updates too once you get your brake issue sorted.
    He who dares....wins!

Australia = phun
    Sep 2010
    Why don't you like stickers?

usually cranky
    it should not take two clicks to shift one gear.

mtbr member
    do hit us up with more post ride reports!

Obsessed Rider
    May 2011
    I ordered the same bike from jensonusa as well. I had a difficult time withe the rear derailer shifting properly...i took my bike to My LBS to have it adjusted....best 20 bucks u can spend....have taken the bike on several technical trails with no major issues....i did notice that the pedals do not clear obstacles as easy as my old trek 4500 hardtail....i keep the rear shock at a pretty high psi (150) and the epicon fork at about 100 psi. The geax saguaro tires are very slippery in wet/muddy terrian...i like the bike alot and is a great full suspension ride for the money. Im taking it to the Tsali trails (NC) next week....change out the tires and the bike is good to go!