Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Making my Parker pedal better...(and 30lbs)

I've been riding the Parker on just about everything now. The 2:1 suspension leverage ratio is freakin' killah FUNj!!! XC, AM, Light FR, whatever. The only thing about it is that it pedals like a Hippo. There are 3 reasons the Parker pedals so hard for XC.

1. 14.5" seat tube / 350mm seatpost (I'm 6'1")
    2. FSA Gravity Step Up short 170mm crank arms
    3. The thing is 36.25lbs

The two most noticeable things that are going to help are a Thomson 410mm seatpost and Hone crankset. This will get me full leg extension on the more "pedaly" rides. A Gravity Dropper would help, but I'm not going to spend $250 on a post just yet. I had one on the Komodo and loved it though.

Regarding weight...

Jamis was really smart in saving money on the bike by spec'ing things like heavy Step-Up cranks, wire bead Nevegals, heavy syncros bar, boat anchor saddle, etc....

I'm going to build mine as a light FR / AM rig b/c a slopestyle rig was designed to be ridden smooth anyhoo.

Over the next year or two, I will morph mine into a 30lb 8oz funbike:

Folding 2.35 Nevegal R / Excavator F tires.
    Shimano Hone crankset...(already have it) It's pretty tough...trust me.
    Thomson post won't save much weight...but every little bit helps.
    SRAM PG990 or XT cassette.
    Hope Pro 2 / DT wheelset....(or something similar)
    Argyle RCT fork. (basically the same as the PIKE solo Air)
    -- Could do a fox 36 Float...but this bike at 5" is really fun.
    Easton EA70 bars. (I've never seen one break)
    WTB Team Ti saddle

These component changes will drop my bike to 30.39lbs.

The most noticeable weight savings will be in the fork, tires, crankset, wheels, and bars. Daggum, I can save almost 1/2lb in just the handlebar!

I'll keep this thread alive as I upgrade stuff.
    I get my boards at Lux-RC.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The 2 biggest savings will be:
    Tires: 1.89lbs
    Fork: 1.75lbs

Australia = phun
    Sep 2010
    I'll try copy you as best I can. My parker III is like a pig, I agree.
    How much are you estimating to spend?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Well...I can't do it all at once. I'm a scavenger. I'm not at a point in my life where I can just go out and buy a set of wheels just b/c they're $300 off MSRP. I have to save up and snag things that are super-cheap.

I'm still undecided on a fork. I've been looking at Lyrik's, Argyl RCT's, Fox 36 Float's and Van's. The best deals I've found for myself are PIKE's. I got my PIKE for $220 shipped. There are a couple at Bob's Bikes right now for a decent price.

I just don't know if I'm ready to give up that last 20mm of travel. 160mm up front is alot of fun, but I really wonder if I will even miss it if I don't have it after a bit. The bike feels really good at 140 too.

Regarding total cost...I dunno...whatever I can afford when it comes along. The Sun-Ringle Charger Pro is on sale for 432 bucks. The Charger Expert is 282 bucks. That's insane. I don't know if I'd do any 6' drops on the Parker with them though. That's pushing the limits of AM. The Chargers are designed as an AM wheelset. I'm thinking about putting them on my Komodo though since my Komodo is built as an AM rig with a PIKE and AM kit. I could go tubeless just to see if I like it and lose another 2.31lbs in the process by nixing the heavy duty tubes I've got as well as the extra weight over my current wheelset. That in itself would bring the Komodo weight down to trail bike weight...dang near XC weight...and still retain a full AM build.

My Pro2 5.1d wheelset has really taken a beating on the Komodo. It's tough as crap. I'd move it over to the Parker probably. Wouldn't lose a ton of weight, but a little. I was really surprised to discover that the majority of the weight was in tires and cassette. The 2010 Parker's wheelset is kinda light compared to what I had expected. The hubs are supposedly sealed bearing hubs too...haven't varified that yet. The Alex SX44 rims are merely XC rims. I may hold off on wheels for now and concentrate on fork over the next season. I'd save alot more weight there. I have seen Used / nearly new Fox 36's for $450-$550 with a little patience. As I said already...my PIKE was $220 shipped and was basically a new OEM take-off.

Spending $300-$400 on wheels and saving 1/2 pound sounds dumb compared to spending $300 on a PIKE and $60 on tires and losing 3.5lbs right there. Not to mention that I think I'm getting a seatpost and bars for Xmas which will shed another 1/2lb w/o me buying anything. I'm also getting a crankset for Xmas and moving the Hone over to the Parker...there's another over 3/4lb there.

So...for say less than $400 with a little patience and scavenging...I can drop the Parker from 36.25lbs down to 31.5lbs and still have it set up as something that I'd do light FR / AM on with no inhibition.
    Last edited by chelboed; 11-27-2011 at 08:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Ya know...you could get silly-stupid and just build the Parker as an AM rig:

Saved weight:
    Tubeless - 1.65lbs
    WTB Rocket V Team Ti - .24lbs
    (ea70 bars) - .39lbs
    Argyle RCT - 1.75
    SunRingle Chg Pro - 1.26
    Sram PG 990 11-34 - .10
    Thomson post - 0.13
    Hone crankset - .83
    Nevegal Excavator 2.35dtc - 1.89

Bringing it in at a theoretical 28lbs, LOL!

You would be compromising the "slopestyle'ability" of it though. I think I'd rather err on the burlier side.

Australia = phun
    Sep 2010
    I'm just questioning your choice on the fork - my conception of an Argyle is a DJer.
    I was thinking to buy myself a Sektor 20mm thruaxle, but I'm a light rider (doing aggressive stuff).
    How you planning to use your fork?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Well...I'm questioning it too. The Argyle "RCT" is a 140mm all mountain fork. It's the same as the PIKE. It is the only 140mm AM fork that I know of. It's tough as nails. Not quite a F36, M55, or Domain, but much stronger than the Sektor / RVL, 44, F32's. It was made to have the piss beaten out of it.

It will handle anything I'm willing to throw at it. Remember...the Parker isn't technically a FR bike. I wouldn't do 8 foot drops on it. Maybe 5-6'.

But as I said...160mm is plush and I don't know that I'm quite willing to give up that last 20mm.

I'm using my Parker as an All Mountain bike and urban play bike. I'm pretty sure the RCT would handle it...just not sure if I wanna give up my last inch.

Check this out:
    2011 Argyle RCT Review | NSMB.e.MAGAZINE - Freeride, Extreme and North Shore style Mountain Biking

Australia = phun
    Sep 2010
    Having read the review for the argyle I feel a little better and understand you decision, but I'm still skeptical ... tall price.
    How heavy (I'm getting extreme ) dya reckon the frame is? And how light could you build it (xc, xtr, Sid, etc...)?
    Last edited by icalebkim; 11-30-2011 at 07:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    An OEM coil PIKE would be nice, but I'm still leaning more toward the F36 or maybe a Marz55Ti for that extra inch.

The frame is around 8'ish lbs. I don't know how light you could build it with an XC build. I think an XC build is a waste of time and an insult to the frame. Bare minimum needs to be a 150mm QR15 fork with a decent AM wheelset and a crankset that you won't snap in half.

I'm 200lbs though...so I erron the side of heavier than the stereotypical MTB'er.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'd recommend a U-Turn Rock Shox Sektor if you can find one for a good price. I haven't ridden one, but from everything I've read, it's kinda taken the place of the Pike and lighter. Seems like a natural pairing for the Parker
    You guys wanna ride bikes?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Yeah...that's kinda what I was aiming at with the Argyle RCT. It's a tougher version of the Sektor. (no UTurn though)

Dunno...

...I should just pull the PIKE off my Komodo and see how it feels on the Parker.

Australia = phun
    Sep 2010
    What axle does the pike have?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    It's a 20mm TA. It's basically a 140mm Argyle with aluminum stanchions...where IMO...the Sektor is more like an inexpensive Recon or RVL. It's all up in the air though.

PIKE's are tough:
    Last edited by chelboed; 12-01-2011 at 10:09 AM.

mtbr member
    im gonna be getting a parker soon, and while im not a big WW and i dont think 36lbs is gonna bother me much, i prob wil want to lighten it up in the future for sure
    2009 Jamis Trail X2
    2002 Raleigh Mountain Scout
    2008 Trek fuel ex7

slap happy
    i've got one with a joplin r on it....38lbs isn't even noticeable with the fork locked out and PP on.
    Consequences dictate our course of action and it doesn't matter what's right. It's only wrong if you get caught.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I don't have a fork lockout or PP. I've got a Domain 302 and Float R. ( also don't have the strength:weight that you do)

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Updates:

No pic's, but I went a little different route than planned due to schnazzy christmas gifts.

Crankset: (already had it) Shimano Hone
    Bar: (free Xmas) Answer Protaper 720 (cool red ano)
    Seatpost: (free Xmas) Thomson Elite Layback 31.6x410
    Tires: ($43) Kenda 2.35 Stick-E Nev.
    Saddle: ($48) WTB Rocket V Team Ti

This should "in theory" (on paper) drop my overall weight on the Parker from 36.25lbs to right around the upper 32# to lower 33# range. The tires will probably be the biggest difference in weight. Add to that the fact that it's rotating weight, and you get a seriously better feeling bike.

The 5mm longer crankset + 410mm seatpost have made the biggest perceived difference when it comes to making this bike a better pedaler. I can get fuller leg extension. The crankset was the hugest difference for sure.

I'd say by next week, I'll have a 33# Parker that pedals well for $91.00

I'll weigh it and shoot some pic's when I get the tires and saddle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I think I'm going to stop there for now.

I can drop 2# in a fork if I do the 140mm Argyle, but I don't really wanna go 140mm at the moment. I could drop 1lbs and do a Fox Float, but that won't "feel" any smoother than the Domain in my experience due to the buttery stanchions. I could drop a bit in a wheelset, but $300-500 seems silly to be able to lose 1/2-3/4lb of "hub weight. The Alex rims are already light.

$91 for 3.25'ish lbs is fantastic...but the next 3lbs will cost at least $1000, LOL. I think I'll keep it at 160mm for now. I could take that $1000 and buy a closeout XCT next fall instead of blowing it all on this thing.

As I already stated...the purpose for this project was to make the Parker pedal well. When I first bought it, I couldn't stand it. A HiRise bar made it feel better, but I still couldn't stomach how awfully the thing pedaled on trails. (I know it's not supposed to be a trail bike, but I do it all) Now my long legs feel satisfied by the longer cranks, I don't think dropping it all the way to 30lbs is going to be worth it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    huck and roll has marz 55 micro Ti's for 359 bucks, go get one. I just ordered mine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Ya man, that's a really good deal! I'm going to hold off for now though. I've hit that sweet spot of weight : $ saved ratio. Lemme know how it goes though. I had a 55r and was sorely disappointed in it. They have SR Suntour innards, LOL. A Suntour sticker right on the damper barrel. Changed the damper out for a TST2 and sold it b/c I couldn't in good conscience sell a MarzSuntour. I know the Micro Ti has much better dampers.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    i was talking to a few people and marz stuff for '10 and newer seems to be back on track. I have heard of very few problems, complaints. I only hear how stiff and plush they are. I will let you know how it is. I remember the '08 55r's...i was hesitant because of that myself.

this should bring my xam down to 33.5 lbs. my goal is a heavy 32, but considering i have a freeride/heavy AM build...33 isnt bad.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Yep...mine was an '08. To be fair, I had much more confidence in the tst cargridge. I just found a Domain 318 before getting the tst cartridge from Marz, so I kept the RS and sold the Marz.

33 is good for a Xam. My old XLT was 32 and that was with a 130mm travel Fox 32 Vanilla R and a $500 wheelset. (it was a 9lb frame with a coil shock) As others have already stated...38lbs is doable as long as everything fits well. I just live in Missouri where there are no extended DH's, so buying a slopestyle rig with short leg reach was an obvious "stupid" on my part, but I knew that if I could get it to fit right, it'd be a really fun bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed View Post
    Updates:
    Tires: ($43) Kenda 2.35 Stick-E Nev.
    Saddle: ($48) WTB Rocket V Team Ti

I'd say by next week, I'll have a 33# Parker that pedals well for $91.00

I'll weigh it and shoot some pic's when I get the tires and saddle.
    Well, the saddle was a bust. I got it from the eBay seller and it was torn to piss and the rails were bent. I got a refund and he told me to keep the saddle. I may try to straighten the rails and put it on the Krapper, but I'm not using it on the Parker. I took my saddle off though and it was a bit lighter than I'd planned. The OEM Pure V cromo must be different than what's listed on WTB's site. I now believe that a new saddle is no longer a feasible upgrade b/c I'll only save like 1/8lbs or so which is hardly worth the coin. No further upgrades will be done for the time being b/c of the cost:savings ratio will be too high IMO.

On paper though...it should weigh 33.05lbs with the new tires, so I'm expecting it to be 33.25# in reality. (paper always lies, LOL)

So...dropping the Parker from 36.25# to 33.25# for a mere $43 is just a kick in the pants for me.

IMO it's a really rideable weight for a 4x6 gnar shredder.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Man...I was waaaaay off. I don't know if I Kenda's site is off or what, but there isn't that much difference between the 2.35 DTC Wire Nev's and the Folding nev's. I could have sworn that I weighed the wire bead ones at 2300g for the pr. I weighed them tonight and they were 1lb 15oz each. (I'll bet some of my issue is that some of the tread is worn off the wire ones b/c it's been a few months since I weighed them.

Well anyhoo...I dropped the bike down from 35lbs 4oz to 34lbs 4oz with new tires, so I'm sure a full pound of rotating weight will be noticeable.

Still...I dropped two pounds off my bike for $48.

What?
    I need to think about putting my bike on a diet. Its a porky 38.5lbs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast