'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006

Maiden voyage for my XLT in the dirt + questions/observations

I had an hour to kill between classes today, so I rode up Dry Creek for my XLT's maiden voyage. Overall, it was awesome. I was anticipating more front wheel wander than actually happened (I came from a XC Expert, and this has a much more slack head tube angle), which was definitely a pleasant surprise. The descents were also pretty impressive.

I did notice a few things though. First, I noticed that there is a bizarre creaking sound coming from the bike. I can't quite tell whether it is from the headtube/fork, or the bell crank/seatstay linkages. The flippin' bike is a ventriliquist. When I think I've isolated it, it sounds like it is coming from somewhere else.

I have heard people with the minute :03 talk about the "click" noise that happens when the SPV threshold is broken and the fork engages, but this is different. The most frustrating thing is I haven't figured out what is causing it (i.e., it happens when I don't expect it, and I can't reproduce it).

Also, I have a question for about brake cable routing. I have seen quite a few XLTs with zip ties going across the top tube in multiple locations to secure the lines. How are you guys doing yours?

Typically, I would route the rear brake cable on the rider's right hand side of the head tube, but it seems to work/fit better on the left hand side, so that's what I am running. Also, I have a temporary fix for my cables staying in the channels. I took a piece of small black ziptie and cut 2 strips about 1/2 in long, then I wrapped it around the line making a u-shape and shoved it in the channel. I made sure to send enough cable through so that when the suspension engages, it doesn't pop out.

One more thing, does anyone know where I can get a conversion factor from kg-f to in-lbs so that I can make sure that things are all torqued properly?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    check the bellcrank where it connects the top tube for the squeak... un- hook the shock and cycle the suspension.. my makes a creak right there, kinda sounds like the seat creaking. i have had mine apart and greased it twice now ( this bike is only a month old, XC PRO, so it may be a little different) and it still creaks... not when the suspension is moving much just the slight weighing and unweighting as i pedal ( really noticeable on the road)
    as far as converting the KFG to FT/lb i just googled it and found it. i had it written down but have mis- placed it.

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006

Torque Specs

Thanks. I'll try that out. Just in case anyone is wondering, lb ft x .138 = 1kgf/m, but more appropriately for Jamis stuff, multiply kgf m x .868 to determine the correct amount of torque in ft lb.

I am assuming that all of the torque specs located at http://home.cfl.rr.com/limeyland/tech_file/convert.html are in kgf m. If anyone knows whether to assume kgf m or kgf cm, please let me know.

This site has any conversion factor you could possibly want to know http://home.cfl.rr.com/limeyland/tech_file/convert.html

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Minute "click"

Make sure you have enough pressure in theSPV side...35 PSI is minimum, IIRC. Try 50 PSI, and see (hear!) if it goes away.

mtbr member

Try the main pivot... nearest the BB

Quote Originally Posted by matamua
    I had an hour to kill between classes today, so I rode up Dry Creek for my XLT's maiden voyage. Overall, it was awesome. I was anticipating more front wheel wander than actually happened (I came from a XC Expert, and this has a much more slack head tube angle), which was definitely a pleasant surprise. The descents were also pretty impressive.

I did notice a few things though. First, I noticed that there is a bizarre creaking sound coming from the bike. I can't quite tell whether it is from the headtube/fork, or the bell crank/seatstay linkages. The flippin' bike is a ventriliquist. When I think I've isolated it, it sounds like it is coming from somewhere else.

I have heard people with the minute :03 talk about the "click" noise that happens when the SPV threshold is broken and the fork engages, but this is different. The most frustrating thing is I haven't figured out what is causing it (i.e., it happens when I don't expect it, and I can't reproduce it).

Also, I have a question for about brake cable routing. I have seen quite a few XLTs with zip ties going across the top tube in multiple locations to secure the lines. How are you guys doing yours?

Typically, I would route the rear brake cable on the rider's right hand side of the head tube, but it seems to work/fit better on the left hand side, so that's what I am running. Also, I have a temporary fix for my cables staying in the channels. I took a piece of small black ziptie and cut 2 strips about 1/2 in long, then I wrapped it around the line making a u-shape and shoved it in the channel. I made sure to send enough cable through so that when the suspension engages, it doesn't pop out.

One more thing, does anyone know where I can get a conversion factor from kg-f to in-lbs so that I can make sure that things are all torqued properly?

Thanks in advance.

There's a rather large bolt at the main pivot nearest the BB... Early on with my NOS 2004 XLT (bought last year), this bolt loosend and creaked. It's actually 2 bolts that go together. take it all out, apply locktite to threads, reinsert with grease (phil wood, or similar). tighten and wait. Mine has not loosened or creaked in over a year.

Tie wraps/zip ties -- no other way around it, man... It's one of my gripes too. IT makes the bike look a little messy, but overall, it's a good bike.... He's an old picture from when I uilt it a year ago... I now have a 2006 minute 3 (awesome fork!) and a bunch of other upgrades since a year ago.....

I wrote some reviews a year ago that you can search for , or PM me if you wnat any other info...
    Attached Images Attached Images

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006
    Thanks! Hopefully I'll tear it down this weekend.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I route my rear brake cable on the left. My rear der. on the right. Fr. der in the middle.

I occasionally have a teeny "click" sound. I haven't isolated it yet, but last time I had it, I lubed up the main pivot and my crankset. Dunno which it was, but it got rid of it for a while. I don't notice it on the trail b/c it's so quiet.

Overall, a killer bike though.