mtbr member

Cracked XCT Comp Frame

I bought my bike new a year ago June. It was a left over 2013 Jamis XCT Comp. So shortly after buying my bike I found this web site and there was not much info on this bike except that quite a few have broken and or cracked at the weld where the top tube comes into the seat tube. So I got into the habit of checking this weld most every time I rode. I would inspect before and after. Did an hour and a half today with one of my friends and upon getting home and washing the bike I discovered what appears to be a crack along the top weld where it goes into the seat tube. It was not there before the ride as I had looked at it. I am not one to allow my wheels to leave the ground being 55 years old. I do not fly down gravity trails and I mostly just ride trails both up and down and earn my turns the old fashioned way, pedal up and ride down. To say I am bummed is an understatement as I retired last year and this is what I do in the summers and I snow ski a lot in the winters.

If you look along the top of the weld you will see the line that has appeared. I will say that the tubes have not separated but if history has shown us anything it is that this is terminal. I really really liked this frame and bike as it fit my style and was a lot of fun to ride. I will be going down to the valley on Monday to pay a visit to the bike shop I bought the bike from.

Edited to add another picture showing the crack from inside the seat tube. I also want to add I ride with at least 6 inches of seat post into the tube while climbing and sometimes I do lower the seat if it is a technical down but I usually just leave it be.

Looks like another cracked XCT Comp Frame-img_8315.jpg
    Looks like another cracked XCT Comp Frame-img_8307.jpgLooks like another cracked XCT Comp Frame-img_8311.jpg
    Last edited by ratskrad; 08-11-2015 at 07:14 PM.
    Such a long long time to be gone, such a short time to be.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Hi Ratskrad,

Sorry to see the issue you are having with your XCT Comp, please PM the details of of the shop you are working with and we will do our best to expedite your claim.

-JAMIS BIKES

mtbr member
    Thanks @Jamis for the quick reply I will send you the info with a PM.

mtbr member
    Just heard from my LBS (Wild Rose Sports) in SLC and the replacement frame is there and I'm on my way down to have the components switched over. So at shop broken on Monday, new frame on Thursday and riding this weekend I hope. Great service by Jamis Bikes and Wild Rose Sports. It looks like it is a 2015 frame because I asked what the colors were and he said I think it's black and white and those are the colors for the 2015 XCT Comp.

mtbr member
    Just got back from the big valley and dropping off my bike. It turns out it is an XCT Pro but it does not match the colors of the Pro from 2013, 2014 nor 2015. So I have no idea what year the frame is. It is black and silver/grey in a high gloss paint job. They are going to have it ready for me tomorrow. The frame weighed 6.94 lbs when hung from a scale.

Looks like another cracked XCT Comp Frame-img_1071.jpg

mtbr member
    I know these posts must be getting old lol. So I picked up my "new" bike today from the shop and it is as good as new and then some. So I guess without any real info that this is more then likely a 2016 XCT Pro frame. Talked with the guy at the shop who did the swap on the parts and he had not seen this color scheme until now. Once again thank you to Jamis and Wild Rose Sports for the quick turn around.

Looks like another cracked XCT Comp Frame-img_8317.jpg
    Last edited by ratskrad; 08-15-2015 at 10:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Glad to see they did right by you with the new frame!

See my earlier post about my friend's 2012 model year XCT comp breaking at the chainstay.

The question now is: have the problems that caused the failures been identified and fixed?
    D

mtbr member
    I do know that the 2013 XCT line changed from the 2012 with the rear triangle being redesigned and it being bigger and beefier by maybe 25% so the chainstays were pretty much fixed then. Jamis also beefed up the top and down tubes in 2013. This is stated in the 2013 catalog. Did this fix the issues time will tell. I know my problem was the weld as it cracked right along the top of it and that was an issue with the welding process. Talking with the shop guy who put my rig together he said they have seen less of this issue the past two years but this is also hearsay and only Jamis can say what the reality is. So at this point I am sitting here with crossed fingers that I get a bunch of years out of this ride.

TRANCER
    Nice! Go Jamis !!! Some of the other companies should do business like this. I've been reading horror stories about frames cracking with other companies and people having to wait months to ride their bike again. This is definitely a change. Good stuff
    Ride

mtbr member
    I had a '12 XCT Comp new old stock. It cracked in the same place as yours. Jenson kept farting around & was also trying to push another model on me that was not similar in geometry or travel. I emailed Jamis about it & mysteriously Jenson said Jamis would send out a '11 carbon XCT4 frame as a replacement because it was the only 26" with the same geometry left. So yeah, Jamis was cool. Jenson...not so much.

mtbr member
    Everybody trashes Jamis, but this XCT4 is awesome. I loved the XCT Comp until the crack happened.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I don't trash them, one reason is I've had good experience w/ their warranty efficiency before. The real reason I like the company is their bikes, I'd love to ride that new 5 incher they have.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jim c View Post
    I'd love to ride that new 5 incher they have.
    That's what she said?