Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

lets see some komodo's

89K views 458 replies 58 participants last post by  chelboed 
#1 ·
Hey, I finally got my '07 komodo done last week, its been a slow build. Its built for AM riding mostly. I will get some pics up in the next day or so.

But, I know lots of you have em, post em up! Also, if you have a chain guide...definitely post that up haha.

Lets see em!

#2 ·
Alright, wolfman...but where's yours?
Here's the progression / digression / sidegression of mine:

It all started out as a 2004 Komodo Team frame with parts carried over from my XLT:

That frame didn't work out b/c the rear tri was too flexy, so they warrantied it out for a 2005 frame.

I first built it up as a 31lb FRHT:

I had issues with the 55r, so I got a Domain 318 and dropped down a tire size:

I found myself doing more aggressive XC/trail riding than Freeride...so I dropped it down to 26lbs with a little lighter build:

I'd like to build a 2008>newer FRHT version...they have ISCG.

Okay...here's my 1998 Komodo. I got the frame off ebay for $6. It's set up as a rigid SS XC rig. Pretty dang fast:

#5 ·

Here's my 2005 Komodo got the Frame for $60 and built the rest up from scratch

2006 Marzocchi AMSL 130mm of travel
2008 RaceFace Evovle Cranks, Bar, Stem, & Post
BB7's 185 in front 160 in rear
2008 X-9 Triggers and Rear derailleur X-7 Front
Mavic Xm 819s on Dt Swiss Rear & Specialized Stout Front
WTB Rocket V saddle
ODI Rogue grips
Mavic Holy Rollers for commuting, DJ, & DS
Panaracer Cinder Rear and Fire Freeride Front for Single track
Atomlab Trailpimps for Commuting & DJ
Shimano 520's for everthing else

Next Upgrade is a Pike 454 slider and Xt 20mm hopefully soon.

#8 ·
wolfman00 said:
I like your '05. I need to weigh mine and see what its at.

I will go take a photo of it now actually, since im bored.
Thx BTW.

I'm beginning to think the Float was a mistake. I love it and it serves as a fantastic trail bike fork. I just have this hankerin' to go huckin' now and then. I probably wouldn't go crazy anyhoo b/c I'd hate to jack up my freakin' $500 wheelset and Hone crankset doing things that they weren't made for.

What I really need to do is get me a 16.5" built up with a DJ or FR build with a stout set of wheels, cranks, and fork so I can go downtown and have me some fun when the trail is too sloppy!

#10 ·
2silent said:
no current pictures-

I have an '04 with-

marzocchi all mountain sl fork (2006)
azonic outlaws
holy rollers/swamp things
deore crankset with 24/36t and e13 dual ring guide
wtb laser v in camo
x5 shifters and derailleurs
203/160mm juicy 5s
magnesium flat pedals

It works well for trail riding and for screwing around downtown- great bike
Are you sure it's an '04? Does it look like this:

Or this:

Reason I ask is b/c your build is more of a FR/AM build. If you have the 2004...then you've got a "trail bike" frame sorta overbuilt or built heavy. Oddly...I've got the 2005 Freeride Hardtail frame but under built it (light). Almost just swap your frame for mine and the bikes would be built proper:D

#11 ·
yeah, mine is the 1st one but in grey

it is "overbuilt" but that's 'cause I got the frame for $50 and could care less how "fast" it is. I wanted a bike my friend's could keep up with me on when I rode with them... heh (actually, seriously)

I also really wanted an 'indestructable' bike that I could ride cross country trails on (so I do like this geometry)

-Drew

#12 ·
2silent said:
I also really wanted an 'indestructable' bike that I could ride cross country trails on (so I do like this geometry)

-Drew
I feel ya there, Drew. I have broken a few frames, tacoed a few wheels, broken cranksets, pedal spindles, saddle rails...at 200lbs, I can't skimp in the area of durability and I can't afford to buy new components all the time. I've gotten to the point where I pretty much use "All Mountain" componentry for plain ol trail riding. It may be 26-27lbs, but I don't have to worry about destroying it and not having a bike to ride.:thumbsup:

#14 ·
chelboed said:
I feel ya there, Drew. I have broken a few frames, tacoed a few wheels, broken cranksets, pedal spindles, saddle rails...at 200lbs, I can't skimp in the area of durability and I can't afford to buy new components all the time. I've gotten to the point where I pretty much use "All Mountain" componentry for plain ol trail riding. It may be 26-27lbs, but I don't have to worry about destroying it and not having a bike to ride.:thumbsup:
yeah, def. true. Even more true when the only reason you have that bike is for screwing around. I have a mamasita with a very light build and a monocog 29er as well.

#15 ·
2silent said:
yeah, def. true. Even more true when the only reason you have that bike is for screwing around. I have a mamasita with a very light build and a monocog 29er as well.
ThuperThweet!

I'm working on a RM Flow DJ right now. I got a great deal on the frame from a dude...and I picked up a Saint crankset for $26:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

#16 ·
Here's My Freeride / All Mountain 08 Komodo 1. Excuse the poor quality of the cellphone pic, but I'll post some better pics soon.

Upgrades include:

Funn Fatboy bar
Juicy 5s
ESI Racers Edge grips
Crank Bros 5050xx pedals
Alienation Pivotal saddle and seatpost
Sun Doubletracks (heavy, but I got a good deal so I'll ride them until I can afford something lighter/cheaper. Can't say I'll ride them til they break, b/c these wheels are tanks)

Best Upgrade: Push'd 426 Pike (You can see the humble fork it replaced in the background)

Attachments

#19 ·
I didn't posted mine yet, because it's 100% original, not realy exiting.
A great bike anyway, I think I'll start to upgrade with the brakes one day they'll fall apart.
I use my Komodo as an Freeride / Allmountain bike, and used to old canti brakes, the mecanical disk brakes of the komodo aren't that bad either.

Regards
surfer

#21 ·
My 07 komodo

I cant get a pic to uploadbut I have the orange and black 07 3.0.I bought the frame and built it up.I went all mountain build and it weighs in a 31 pounds.
Componets are:
09 Fox vanilla r 140
Sram x9 shifters and rear derailuer
Shimano SLX cranks with bash ring.
WTB fx 28 wheels with XT hubs.
BB7 brakes with 160 rear and 185 front disc.
IRC Trail Bear tires.
Race face bars with easton all mountain stem.
Chris King headset.
Deore LX front derailuer.
I could drop some wieght if I went tubeless.I run slime tubes with tire liners.

#22 ·
Alright men...the Komodo has taken a turn for the better. I found a PIKE from an individual that bought a Pitch and wanted a Lyrik, so he let me have the PIKE for $220 shipped. Fox Racing Shox is supposed to be God's gift to suspension, but this PIKE is 100% smoother than my Float or Vanilla. Specialized calls it a 351, but looking at the spec's, it's basically a 426 w/o the external floodgate. The only problem is that the HT length on a 2005-2007 Komodo is pretty dang tall, man!! 140mm!

The solution was a low stack headset from CrankBro's and a short-stack stem from Spank.

-Rockshox PIKE 351 Coil U-turn / Motion Control / Lockout / Intl Floodgate
-Crank Brothers Iodine AM headset (20.56mm stack)
-Spank Spike FR / DH stem (26mm stack)

(I also got a 2.35 Nevegal and Excavator to throw back on b/c Conti's IMO are an inferior tire)

#23 ·
Chelboed,

Bike looks great! Is that a single ring setup on your Komodo? How does it pedal, or how has it changed your biking? I've been thinking of going that way and have been leaving it in the second ring to practice. What's your chainring size and cassette range?

Glad you like the Pike, I got a used 426 recently and had PUSH rebuild it - it's butter.

#24 ·
It used to be set up as a 1x9. (32f / 11-34r) Loved it for a while. Switched back for 2 reasons:
1. My knees have been grumpy, so a granny helps.
2. The drivetrain is SO MUCH SMOOTHER when not using those more extreme gear cominations. There is noticeable drag and gear noise when in the 32/34 or 32/11 combo's.

I like my main ride to be smooth and quiet.

The 1998 Komodo that is pictured further back in this thread was set up as a SS, but I went back to a 1x9 on that one. (32 / 11-34) It works well for a light/rigid bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.