Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Not sure where to get new pins, most replaceable pins are screw in. Ours seem to be pressed in. Did a quick search but didn't find anything. that's one of the parts I'll just ride tip it needs to be replaced.

and down here in south Louisiana, there's not much to ride but DJ and a few miles of singletrack. For that reason 130mm was never essential for me. Honestly, I'm not sure the launch is even capable of 130 full mm. I've ridden Bmx all my life and have no other forks to compare really, but the DJ1 is hands down light years ahead if the launch. A lot of adjustability and love the way it feels. And it's amazing what nearly 2lbs less on the front end will do. And a steal for $199 at wheelworld

Wanna ride bikes?
    Cool, cuz I've had this bike for a little over a year now and DEFINITELY need to change the fork, and I was wondering if I should go for more or less travel. There's not a jump area here and it's mostly rocks but I think I'm gonna go with the DJ1 just because it's such a steal right now.

I'm guessing you got the 20mm version since you changed wheels?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    i would not suggest a dj1. it is far too stiff for rocks, go with at least a 55 even if u have to get it used. i put the dj1 on my friends komodo to upgrade from the launch and it was just as bad... its simply too stiff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mfrench2013 View Post
    i would not suggest a dj1. it is far too stiff for rocks, go with at least a 55 even if u have to get it used. i put the dj1 on my friends komodo to upgrade from the launch and it was just as bad... its simply too stiff.
    Hmmmmm, that fork may have been defected bc when I first installed mine it was way too soft. I used about %75 of the travel just by pedaling hard, until I got the right fork pump and was able to stiffen it up to my liking. unless ur friend weighs 95 lbs I can't say this fork is too stiff. Especially compared to the launch.

As for the axle, DJ 1 only comes in 20mm. The dj2 I believe has diff options which is about $20 more at wheel world. I was I bit of a noob when I bought the fork, and was going on specs I read about the Komodo instead of doing the research and finding out myself because my hub was certainly not 20mm thru. So the fork sat in my garage for a few weeks til I bought new wheels.

Side note: on wheel worlds customer service, my buddy got this same fork and and right out the box had a loud clanging and topped out very easily. Rode on it for a week making adjustments trying to fix, but could never get it right. Wheel world told him to return it and they would replace it. No questions asked

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by bradknob View Post
    Hmmmmm, that fork may have been defected bc when I first installed mine it was way too soft. I used about %75 of the travel just by pedaling hard, until I got the right fork pump and was able to stiffen it up to my liking. unless ur friend weighs 95 lbs I can't say this fork is too stiff. Especially compared to the launch.

As for the axle, DJ 1 only comes in 20mm. The dj2 I believe has diff options which is about $20 more at wheel world. I was I bit of a noob when I bought the fork, and was going on specs I read about the Komodo instead of doing the research and finding out myself because my hub was certainly not 20mm thru. So the fork sat in my garage for a few weeks til I bought new wheels.

Side note: on wheel worlds customer service, my buddy got this same fork and and right out the box had a loud clanging and topped out very easily. Rode on it for a week making adjustments trying to fix, but could never get it right. Wheel world told him to return it and they would replace it. No questions asked

That's pretty good service. And I was wondering about the 20mm thing, does it really improve the ride?

I would rather not buy new wheels, but if it would really help I'd bite the bullet

mtbr member
    Nah, I don't think the 20 mm makes a huge difference. The launch was so stiff I could barely feel it working anyway. Plus the DJ1 is air adjustable so u can stiffen or loosen it to your liking.

The wheels and fork Combo made it feel almost like a whole diff bike. So I would recommend upgrading both, but that's not in evryones budget so if ur wheels have 20mm axles I'd say use them with a new fork until the wheels go out.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Nah, I don't think the 20 mm makes a huge difference. The launch was so stiff I could barely feel it working anyway. Plus the DJ1 is air adjustable so u can stiffen or loosen it to your liking.

The wheels and fork Combo made it feel almost like a whole diff bike. So I would recommend upgrading both, but that's not in evryones budget so if ur wheels have 20mm axles I'd say use them with a new fork until the wheels go out.
    So you're saying just keep the current wheels till they're totally schwacked?

Cuz I do enjoy having a QR, makes thing simple with all the flats we get out here in the desert

mtbr member
    I'm saying if you can afford em, buy em. If you can't afford em, wait til you can. My rear wheel rubbed my chainstay no matter how I clamped it to the bike so it was time for me. And I believe Marzocchi makes a 20mm quick release axle, bc QR does make life a lot easier.

Wanna ride bikes?
    I'm saying if you can afford em, buy em. If you can't afford em, wait til you can. My rear wheel rubbed my chainstay no matter how I clamped it to the bike so it was time for me. And I believe Marzocchi makes a 20mm quick release axle, bc QR does make life a lot easier.
    Thanks man. Which wheelset do you recommend? I'd really preffer not spendng over 200-250

mtbr member
    There aren't a lot of options in the 20mm wheelsets but I did a lot of research and looked hard into these. Good price, and strong. Downside is they weigh about the same as the wheels that come on the Komodo which are on the heavy side.

FSA GRAVITY Wheelset 26" Mtb Downhill 135mm 20mm NEW | eBay

Or if u wanna save up a little longer, look into the transition revolution. I was set in these til I found the azonics for a good deal. And my buddy at my local store is putting these on his new build. Strong and light

TBC Transition Revolution 28 Wheelset Black ****NEW**** | eBay

Now, I have no experience with either of these. I'm going off reviews and opinion I've read from around the net and at my local bike store.

I also think u can custom build a set at bicyclewheelwarehouse.com for around 250.

icalebkim
    Boy oh boy... If you've ever ridden a 20mm -- You will notice a difference.
    I got a 20mm with a killa deal on a parker - way better than any qr i've noticed. And just as easy to change the wheel. The tracking is spot on. the legs are way stiffer. Go 20mm - specially if you are heavier.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Only had it a couple of days and like it. Took it riding today, had a wreck, still like it.
    " width="549">

" width="549">

Oh and my wreck.
    " width="549">

mtbr member
    LOL @ the wreck. not sure how u managed that one. but hey, what doesnt kill u only makes u stronger right?

komodos lookin fresh tho. keep us posted on how it treats ya

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    it rained while we were riding so, the trail was really slick. Imagine going up a hill at an angle with a bank head high on one side and steep downhill on the other. I ended up leaning to the downhill side and put my foot down but it was so far down I just went on over into a headfirst flip. Steve said it was the funniest wreck he ever witnessed. After I sat up he did ask if I was OK but then said, hold on, let me grab my camera.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Has anyone built a Komodo for BMX?

I bought an 08 Komodo almost 2 years ago. It got me hooked on riding. I quickly found it's limitations and annoyances.... Cheap cranks, brakes, and fork. Which led me to build a full suspension park bike and love it. The Komodo now sits in the garage.

I recently started riding BMX in the cruiser class. I started on my 34lb park bike. It takes too much energy to race. Now I'm riding a loaner 24" rigid cruiser. I've thought of stripping my Komodo down to single speed and racing it. Eventually changing to a Fox 831, or a Marz DJ fork. Thoughts, ideas? Waste of money? I think I prefer a 26" hard tail over a 24" rigid, but I can buy a complete race ready rigid cruiser for less than a better fork for the Komodo....

There aren't a lot of options in the 20mm wheelsets but I did a lot of research and looked hard into these. Good price, and strong. Downside is they weigh about the same as the wheels that come on the Komodo which are on the heavy side.
    Check out Forte Xenduro from Perfromance:
    Forté Xenduro Front Wheel - Forté Wheels
    I have had good luck with these wheels. They are lighter than the FSA, you can run the front 9, 15 or 20mm. I got them out the door on sale for $207 front & rear. I run them ghetto tubless with NO problems.

Wanna ride bikes?
    I snapped my derailluer hanger, anyone know where I can get a new one?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    you can find them here. you have to pick depending on year and model (I or II). see #23, #38, #55 or #105

Jamis Derailleur Hangers
    Last edited by coyboy; 09-25-2011 at 11:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

2005 Jamis Komodo FX 2.0

Hello to all, and the creator of this sweet komodo thread. Here is my 2005 Komodo FX 2.0, features an aftermarket Manitou Travis Single 150mm TPC Fork w/ FSA ThePig DH Pro Headset, SRAM X-9(Shorty) Rear Derailleur, SRAM X-7 Shifters Front/Rear, KENDA Short Tracker DualCompound(John Tomac SigSeries) 26x2.50 DH casing Tires and super heavy duty DH tubes w/ metal stems , and a roller chain guide. I still have the stock fork as well. Thanks Jeff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lets see some komodo's-imag0505.jpg  

lets see some komodo's-imag0506.jpg  

lets see some komodo's-imag0507.jpg  

lets see some komodo's-imag0508.jpg  

lets see some komodo's-imag0511.jpg  

nattyboh74
    whoa haha I'm looking to upgrade mY 05 that's been siting for years. This thread will be of help.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunchbox362 View Post
    I snapped my derailluer hanger, anyone know where I can get a new one?
    Two Holes

Looks like #38 to me.
    I get my boards at Lux-RC.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    havent posted a pic in a while, now shes sitting with 200mm front rotor and a 180mm rear rotor. got some free ride tubes too because i kept popping tubes, and also threw on a little wider/flatter bars. rides awesome now!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    You guys have some seriously sick looking bikes! It has me ready to pull the trigger on jenson, but the largest size frame they have left is a 16.5....I'm 6'2'' would that frame size work for some jumping/urban/ and xc with friends on the side?? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Nah man...you need a large.

mtbr member
    my buddy just built a kona five-0 with a 20" frame and hes 6' 3" and for DJ or free ride, that frames too big, but xc its 'perfecrt size. i grew up on bmx so i like my frames smaller, so its really personal preference. im 5' 11 and love the sizing of the komodo

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Well I've been searching for one of these bikes for 2 days straight in a LARGE. It's like searching for a freaking unicorn. Anyone have any ideas where I can pick one of these up, I'm not really picky on the year....

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    It's not really about seat tube length, but more so "top tube length". I built a size Medium RM Flow and felt like the handlebars were going through my belt loops. Way to short. Now way I could shred on that thing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Looks like the only place online is a complete from RBikes:

Jamis Komodo - RBikes.com Selling Bikes Since 1910

You could always check into the Brodie Holeshot, Bruzza, Hellion, or Groove.
    Look for an older Brodie Brute.
    Rocky Mountain Flow.
    Transition TransAm

There are quite a few beefy hardtails out there.
    Last edited by chelboed; 10-01-2011 at 09:55 PM.

Curb Jumper
    Good looking Komodos in here guys!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    RBikes doesnt ship...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I am 6'2" and I'm riding the 08 16.5. It felt a little small at first, but I like it now. Haven't hit my knees on the handlebars or anything. I like it for messing around. Have yet to ride any long distances. Only complaint is its heavy, and the chain stay is pretty long. Hard to bunny hop compared to the BMX bikes I used to ride.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by ja66 View Post
    I am 6'2" and I'm riding the 08 16.5. It felt a little small at first, but I like it now. Haven't hit my knees on the handlebars or anything.
    Word. I'm 5'10" and the 16.5 08 is good for me, at first it seemed really short but it feels good now.

The chainstays are a little long and the headtube a bit slacker than the usual jump bike, but again it's more of a trail/jump bike, so it's alright.

It's a good bike for people looking to ride more trails and long downhill jumps, as opposed to bmx-style doubles.

Great for what it does.

EDIT: As far as weight goes, it is pretty porky, but something tells me if you were willing to pay for some upgrades in the parts department it could be decent.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Went out to Landahl today...had a killah time on the Komodo with a crappy phone pic to prove it...

After riding the Parker almost exclusively for the last few months, the Komodo feels different...roomier, more nimble, less of a limousine and more of a straight up XC ride. The 2:1 Parker running the Domain at 160mm really makes me feel the shortcomings of the hardtail on rough terrain. It makes the PIKE feel like less than 140mm as well. It does what it does really well, but the Parker really makes me want a Heckler for general trail riding.

That said...it slays the Parker on flat, twisty singletrack and climbs. It feels like a rocket with every pedal stroke. Still very flickable and easy to get in the air.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    hi guys

new on the forum here and just picked up a komodo 2 '08 from jenson this past week. I'm hoping those in the know may be able to chime in here. I'm looking to replace the seatpost QR clamp with a lip-lock collar much like Salsa Lip-Lock Seat Collar at JensonUSA.com[/url]
    in hopes to deter any sticky fingers for the seat when i do use it to ride around the city and lock it up. Don't think they come in a 30.9mm as those are the specs on the Jamis komodo 2 for seat post. Would i have any luck in another size? Thanks!

Wanna ride bikes?
    Hey does anyone know the rear hub spacing?

I was thinking of getting these wheels and was wondering if they'd fit

Gold Azonic Outlaw Wheels - Pinkbike.com

mtbr member
    Yep, 135mm will fit

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drewvoros View Post
    hi guys

new on the forum here and just picked up a komodo 2 '08 from jenson this past week. I'm hoping those in the know may be able to chime in here. I'm looking to replace the seatpost QR clamp with a lip-lock collar much like Salsa Lip-Lock Seat Collar at JensonUSA.com[/url]
    in hopes to deter any sticky fingers for the seat when i do use it to ride around the city and lock it up. Don't think they come in a 30.9mm as those are the specs on the Jamis komodo 2 for seat post. Would i have any luck in another size? Thanks!

The seat post itself is 30.9, if ur looking for the collar, u need a 35mm. 34.9 will work also

Wanna ride bikes?
    Yep, 135mm will fit
    Sweet. I'm gonna pick up these and a PUSHed Pike with U-Turn and I think I'll be good to go for awhile.

Also gonna switch my tires to Holy Rollers, although I'm open to suggestion?

mtbr member
    Sweet, def throw up some pics with the gold. I've been beating on my wheels pretty good so far and love em.

Have heard good things about the pike. And as for tires, I'm still rockin the Larsen tts that came on the bike so I can't really suggest much.

BTW my bottom bracket finally went to $hit, which I'm surprised it lasted that long, so I bought the truvativ descendant crankset. should lose about 1 lb but I'll keep you all posted. Should be here by the weekend

Wanna ride bikes?
    Sweet, def throw up some pics with the gold. I've been beating on my wheels pretty good so far and love em.

Have heard good things about the pike. And as for tires, I'm still rockin the Larsen tts that came on the bike so I can't really suggest much.

BTW my bottom bracket finally went to $hit, which I'm surprised it lasted that long, so I bought the truvativ descendant crankset. should lose about 1 lb but I'll keep you all posted. Should be here by the weekend
    I'll definitely put some pics up. They may clash with my green handlebars a bit haha, but screw it, I don't put my bike in a beauty pageant

Can't wait to get these parts, finally my komodo might go more than one or two rides with breaking something,.....

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks for the info!

Wanna ride bikes?
    So I was thinking of cutting down my seattube to get my saddle lower. What do you guys think?

mtbr member
    I cut about an inch off mine

Wanna ride bikes?
    I cut about an inch off mine
    How's it now?

mtbr member
    Way better, I got a pivotal seat post andseat so I can slam it lower than stock post and seat and am thinking about cutting a lil more off. Still plenty high enough if I'm ridin trails and need to jack the seat up, and plenty low enough if Im jumping and don't want seat to get in my way.

IMO looks way better too

Wanna ride bikes?
    Way better, I got a pivotal seat post andseat so I can slam it lower than stock post and seat and am thinking about cutting a lil more off. Still plenty high enough if I'm ridin trails and need to jack the seat up, and plenty low enough if Im jumping and don't want seat to get in my way.

IMO looks way better too
    What'd you use to cut it? hacksaw? Dremel?

Did you have to cut a bit down the middle for the clamp to still work?

mtbr member
    I wrapped it in painters tape and used a hacksaw. Then used the saw to make the slit I lil bit longer. Works as good as stock

Wanna ride bikes?
    I wrapped it in painters tape and used a hacksaw. Then used the saw to make the slit I lil bit longer. Works as good as stock
    I think I'll probly just dremel it

Wanna ride bikes?
    I cut down the seat tube about an inch more or less, and also cut quite a bit off the seat post to the saddle, saved some weight.

I'll put pics up when I get my new outlaws and pike in the mail

mtbr member
    Sweet, stock seatpost is heavy as hell. Lost about 1lb when I changed my seat and post.

Also lost almost a lb when I swapped to the outlaws too