Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    Curb Jumper
    I got mine for trail riding, mostly AM/XC stuff with DJs and drops thrown in for good measure. I'm also starting to dabble in some light FR with her. She seems like she can handle the abuse and hopefully will be a great all-around bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    do you know if there is a difference in the 08 to 09 models. jenson doesnt have the 09 in my size but bicycle bananas has the 08 in my size. just curious

-shaun h

Curb Jumper
    I'm about 5'11" and about 155-160 lbs. The 16.5 fits me great. The 18.5 would be too large and the 14 would be tiny. It's a burly bike so it may feel a little bigger than it is. When I got it I was like "Damn, kinda big..." but when I started riding around I realized that I can't even extend my seat post enough to get full extension of my leg. The standover height is just right also.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    cool thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    awdspider,

The difference between 08 and 09 models is apparently in the rear triangle and the downtube as near as I can tell. The 08's had a burlier looking rear triangle and a larger downtube. This adds to the frame's weight. In 09 they revised these parts of the bike and the result looks pretty awesome and should be just as capable with none of the weight penalty. That being said, I have an 08 and love it.

P.S. I also see the great deals out there on 09's and am trying to come up with some sort of rationalization for getting one... HA!!!!
    You guys wanna ride bikes?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 7PointMe
    awdspider,

The difference between 08 and 09 models is apparently in the rear triangle and the downtube as near as I can tell. The 08's had a burlier looking rear triangle and a larger downtube. This adds to the frame's weight. In 09 they revised these parts of the bike and the result looks pretty awesome and should be just as capable with none of the weight penalty. That being said, I have an 08 and love it.

P.S. I also see the great deals out there on 09's and am trying to come up with some sort of rationalization for getting one... HA!!!!

i ended up buying an 08, i found too good of a deal to pass up.
    thanks for the info 7point.

any info you could give me on the 08's .....like what might need fixing, replaced or just to watch out for in general would very much appreciated.

-shaun h

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    well i got the bike on friday (08 komodo1), i cant for the life of me get the brakes adjusted properly. i either get the brake cable to loose or to tight. if i loosen the cable where the pads no longer drag i dont feel i get enough pressure to really stop the bike but if i tighten it bit more the pads drag. i have also been having problems of the lever not returning to its ideal positon. when i grab the brake and then release it sometimes only returns about 75-80% of the way.

i have seen others upgrading various parts on these bikes but right now my biggest concern is the brakes. the last bike i rode (big hit fsr) had stop right now power. i know this bike isnt in the same league as that but i feel as though they should be better than my brothers bike with "v" brakes. im i wrong?

im new to biking so i need answers in laymen terms. im learning on how to work on this myself.

shaun h

mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Shaun,

I have the 08 komodo as well and i have to admit that I, too have the same problems as you...tighten them a bit....and they drag as loud as a horn...but loosen them and you're gonna crash because theres no brake pads touching.....I still couldn't fix these to the point where it skids and I can do stoppies...etc...I have a feeling its those cheap tektro caliper...IMO

Hope this helped.....

Justin

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    well that sucks. im thinking about just upgrading to BB7's and ditching the stockers.

shaun h

mtbr member
    I wanted to upgrade to the BB5's yet lots of people said to not buy any of the BB series since they are hard to adjust and dont stop as well as other brakes.....

I bet with a day of fine tuning and dialing, you could fix them pretty well though...

Curb Jumper
    Here's a quick artistic shot of my Komodo (and my gals record... "collection")

mtbr member
    Looks great!! Though I could never understand why you guys ride with the seat soooo high!!

Curb Jumper
    Quote Originally Posted by justinber95
    Looks great!! Though I could never understand why you guys ride with the seat soooo high!!
    Thanks! My seat-height depends on what/how I am riding. In FL if there is a downhill section there is more than likely an uphill section to get you there, so for trail riding and those leg-burning urban assauls I keep the seat up. When I'm going to be getting both wheels off the ground (FR/DJ/street) I drop the seat down.

Australia = phun
    Sep 2010
    How low?
    Oh yeah, and how much did that cost you?

Curb Jumper
    Quote Originally Posted by icalebkim
    How low?
    Oh yeah, and how much did that cost you?

Usually slammed if I don't plan on sitting. It's mostly up because I ride around my neighborhood a lot and it's a lot of climbing,

The bike cost me $415+shipping (~$450 shipped)

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    2008 komodo 2 i got for 700 new this summer as a left over stock, added a e thirteen lg1+ chain guide, new grips, pedals, and a 2010 bomber 55 tst 2 (big improvement over the dj 1) i got for 300 new on sale. use mostly for light dh and light free ride. bb is shot so in goes a saint this winter. old fork 2008 dj 1

Curb Jumper
    Gorgeous! I love the 08's! They have the frame shape of the 09's but the beefy stays like the 05-07's. The 09 weighs a bit less so... I guess I have that going for me...

Nice bike sir!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    thanks! urs too, dig the black frame. my friend has the 08 1 with the silver frame, its almost blinding to look at lol.

Australia = phun
    Sep 2010
    OMG, that 08 is beautiful! I always loved the burliness of the 08 komodo's. Too bad there are none at JensonUSA; bang, I'd have bought it. BTW, I thought Marzocchies were good?!?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    whom said marzocchies werent? im on my second one and love it!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Curb Jumper
    Damn, an 08 Komodo 1 from there is ~$30 more than my 09 Komodo 1 from Jenson. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing...

Australia = phun
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mfrench2013
    whom said marzocchies werent? im on my second one and love it!
    Oh yeah, sorry for the misinformation.

Quote Originally Posted by mfrench2013
    (big improvement over the dj 1)
    Marzocchi dj1?

Australia = phun
    Sep 2010

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by [dB]Will
    Damn, an 08 Komodo 1 from there is ~$30 more than my 09 Komodo 1 from Jenson. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing...

Good for me, bad for you.

Curb Jumper
    Quote Originally Posted by icalebkim
    Good for me, bad for you.

I really like the 08's too. I think I may be starting to regret my purchase again.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast