Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I think this winter i am going to tear mine down and strip the paint off it. All the paint is chipping off, so i may just strip it and clearcoat it. or have it painted the same color as the general lee haha.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Here's my 2005 Jamis Komodo

It has a Rock Shox Recon 351 w/lockout
    Avid Juicy 3's w/ 7in rotors
    Yeti ODI grips
    IRC Trailbear tires 26X2.35

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    nice builds,

chelboed, what front hub do you have? Is it convertable? I see you using 20mm and QR forks on it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

thought i added a pic last time

Here's my 2005 Jamis Komodo

It has a Rock Shox Recon 351 w/lockout
    Avid Juicy 3's w/ 7in rotors
    Yeti ODI grips
    IRC Trailbear tires 26X2.35

08 Jamis Parker
    05 Jamis Komodo

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfman00
    nice builds,

chelboed, what front hub do you have? Is it convertable? I see you using 20mm and QR forks on it.

Sorry guys, I've been out for a while.

The hubs are Hope Pro 2 convertible. Yes, the front convertible from 20mm to 9mmQR in like 30 seconds.

2silent: I gave the Conti's to a friend.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Smile Komodo

Here is 1 I built about 5 years ago-I really like it.
    Jack

lets see some komodo's-komodo-001.jpg

lets see some komodo's-komodo-002.jpg

mtbr member

2009 stock komodo 1

looking to upgrade the forks and tires .. any suggestions?
    Last edited by rossbourne14; 05-25-2010 at 09:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rossbourne14

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2009 stock komodo 1

Looks nice! I didn't realize they'd taken weight out of the downtube over previous years' models as well as the rear triangle.

As for the fork and tires; I can definitely recommend a PIKE, the travel adjustability really lends to the bike's do-all capability and it's super-smooth. I've got a WTB MotoRaptor that came with the bike up front and a WTB Velociraptor rear tire. I guess it depends on what you're doing with it. Your Larsen's probably good as a rear tire, but you may want to look into something with a bit more bite on the front. I'm going to be swapping out the MotorRaptor with a slightly worn 3C Minion in the front as the current WTB tire has started to wash out in fast turns.
    You guys wanna ride bikes?

mtbr member
    I got that same Komodo. Another upgrade will be the seat. WTB makes a seat with thicker rails. You WILL bend your rails after landing enough jumps. I highly reccomend the WTB Jaxon. It will look even better on your bike, is comfy and can handle a lot more.,

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Komodo Old School

Ahh memories...

I bought a Komodo LT new in 2001 and rode the living crap out of it up and down the west coast for 9 years. I upgraded everything attached to it at least twice during that period. The geometry was perfect for my style of riding which is aggressive XC, I think everybody calls it trail riding nowadays. Climb, descend, haul ass, techincal - this bike did it all and mostly proved that FS bikes are overrated for 90% of all trails. The frame was Easton Ultralight and had beautiful welds and a nice CNCd dropout section. This bike was well ahead of it's time when it came out and I loved every minute of every ride on it. I looked at other bikes the last few years and contemplated new ones every season but once I rode the Komodo on a nice spring epic, I kept it every time.

Sad as it is though, the frame finally cracked on one of the chainstays and I had to retire it this year. Nice thing though is that I was able to build a rippin singlespeed out of the leftover parts on a different frame.

RIP old friend.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic. It's got the 14" frame. It's my girlfriend's bike.

Last edited by rhanson94; 06-11-2010 at 11:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I would love to get a hold of one of the newer frames. That one looks really good. Much better than my nasty orange haha.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I like the way the black on black looks also. I think her bikes looks better than mine....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfman00
    I would love to get a hold of one of the newer frames. That one looks really good. Much better than my nasty orange haha.
    Yeah I love my 09 black frame. It is one of the toughest looking bikes you will see. Once you swap seats and make it even blacker, it just looks better. I upgraded the platform pedals on mine, and that makes a huge difference in control.

This bike runs best with the seat dropped for shorter tech trails that have big rollers, and of course downhill. For flatter trails, you have to crank the seat up so you don't burn out your legs, but it really is a tough bike and goes over everything like a tank.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Oh yeah, i forgot to tell you- your bike called me today, it wants a pike. haha

but seriously, the pike and a komodo frame is a match made in heaven.

mtbr member

ill pitch in

komodos rock
    Last edited by justinber95; 07-12-2010 at 12:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rossbourne14

2009 stock komodo 1

There is no better fork for that bike than the PIKE. I have had several forks on my Komodo...
    Marz 55 5"
    Marz 55 6"
    Rockshox Domain U-turn
    Fox Float 140
    The PIKE U-turn that I have is about 1.5yrs old and is incredible. Tough enough for anything I'll do with the bike as a clyde who likes to jump stairs...but still versatile enough for XC rides. Lateral and fore/aft sturdy. 20mm TA is KILLAH for aggro XC stuff.

It's just a great fork.

As far as tires...IMO there' isn't a better tire out there for "mountain biking" than the Kenda Excavator. The caveat with the Komodo is rear tire clearance. The frame has a tough time clearing a 2.35 Excavator...so I run a 2.35 Nevegal in the back...which is has a little less rolling resistance anyhoo.

So...2.35 Excavator front / 2.35 Nevegal rear.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have 2.4 moto raptors on mine at the moment. for dry stuff...not too bad, not great. When its wet- might as well be slicks, they suck. I will probably get some nevgals. I rarely hear anything bad about them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Hey Rossbourne14, what size is your komodo?

Curb Jumper
    Just ordered my '09 Komodo! It should be here by... next week

Curb Jumper
    Hm... I was told it would be 3 days for assembly and then another 4-5 days for shipping. I placed the order today and just received an email saying it was shipped! Oh man, if I get this bike before the weekend...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Sweet - post some pics when it shows up!
    You guys wanna ride bikes?

Curb Jumper
    Looks like it'll be here Saturday. My mom will be in town though so I'll have no time to take her on her maiden voyage until Monday. Pics will definitely come.

mtbr member
    whats the biggest tire you could put on the 09 komodo? i was wanting to go with the maxxis high roller - minion setup.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I run 2.4 moto raptors

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast