Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
    Curb Jumper
    This weekend I was inspired (by chelboed ) to go do a little sunrise shoot with my stock '09 Komodo I. I found that I'm not terribly creative first thing in the morning, especially when I still have a little buzz lingering from the night before

Komodo Sunrise 1 by FLWill, on Flickr

Komodo Sunrise 2 by FLWill, on Flickr

Komodo Sunrise 3 by FLWill, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Nice bokeh!

Keep em coming!

Sent from my daggum phone because I have no life.
    I get my boards at Lux-RC.com

Curb Jumper
    Thanks! Like I said, of all my hobbies that I try to photograph (cars mostly) I never thought to shoot my bike. You've opened my eyes to a subject that has been sitting in front of me this whole time. I had no idea what I was doing at first so I just used my automotive knowledge to do what I could...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Komodo brethren, Limited space with our new baby and my new FS trail/AM bike being the preferred bike when I hit the trails I'm actually thinking of getting rid of my Komodo

It's a 2008 M and I'm probably going to take most of the components and use them to build up a bike that's more suited to the urban area I've moved into. I think the Komodo's a great AM/ Trail bike but the long chainstay and slack geometry make it a little odd over an urban landscape (maybe I just need to get better )

Anyway, this is not an ad but I guess I'm asking you guys what you think I could get for the frame/fork? It's a Push'd Coil Pike and both are in very good condition.

Maybe you have thoughts on making it more urban-friendly? I've already swapped out for Maxxis DTH tires, Chain Guide and no Front Derailleur.

Thanks all. Maybe the answer is just hold on to it?? I sold my first legit MTB, a Gary Fisher some years back and lived to regret it.
    You guys wanna ride bikes?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    You'll regret it, lol.

When I bought my coil PIKE, it was basically new OEM take-off from Teton gravity forum. I got it for $220 shipped.

(if that helps)

You could just sell the frame. The pike would be a good urban fork. (assuming it's a U-Turn like mine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I just found this on a Russian forum:

"my friend went to crack where
    connect the upper blade with seat
    tube frame only 2011 year."

Looks like an '06 that cracked at the welds in 2011 where the Seat stays meet the seat tube.

It's a straight-up freeride forum though...and these guys are really punishing their hardtails...crap!

Nice ride:
    Last edited by chelboed; 08-11-2012 at 03:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Here is my 08

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lets see some komodo's-uploadfromtaptalk1344734552248.jpg  

lets see some komodo's-uploadfromtaptalk1344734656105.jpg  

lets see some komodo's-uploadfromtaptalk1344734688383.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Digg

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Chelboed - awesome post. Can't believe I missed this.

The only thing I would add in between the 2008 and 2009 models is that in 2009, they appeared to also go to a smaller diameter downtube. I'm 195 with gear on and definitely grew in confidence because of this bike.

For all newcomers to Komodos, upgrades go like this:

Blackspire Stinger 1st!

What?
    I wish Jamis would sell a better version of the Komodo. Drop the crappy cable brakes and RST fork and put something nice it its place. I would buy it in a heartbeat. I dont want to buy a new one and change out all the parts before riding it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    They used too, but evidently the market wasn't there so they dropped it. Problem is...the guys with the coin are riding xc in Spandex. Jamis makes some serious xc bikes. The Komodo is catered to the thug life of the MTB world, lol. Thug life is po, broke, and hongry!

If they'd spend any time at all on the forums (Skip used to be a fixture here), they'd see how many people love the Komodo.

Seems like the people i see riding them are 13y.o. Kids that do redonk drops to flat, or middle aged big guys like me who don't have any cash but need a tough bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Tell ya what men, looking at the Dragon 650 alot more lately. That sucker would be a killer trail bike for my local trails.

If i had the coin, I'd be all over that thing. It's spec'd to shred right outta the box.

68deg HA, 120mm travel, short stays, wider bars, shorter stem, higher BB for log clearance...holy smokes, man!

It wouldn't make me sell my Komodo, but I'd sure ride the heck out of it.

Go check it out with an open mind. That Reynolds tubing is strong.

(sorry for the off topic post, back to the Komodo)

Last edited by chelboed; 08-14-2012 at 09:56 PM.

New kid
    Hi i know this is off topic but i need some advice. Ive been looking for bikes under 700 bucks and the komodo is 750 and i also found the brodie groove which is 775(dont hold me to it.) Im looking for a burly strong bike to handle whatever i find because im a big clyde(275) who rides motocross so i like to fly a little bit! Considering all options but im new to mtb so i dont know all the manufacturers etc.

-Pat
    05 Crf250 - Cheaper than a lot of high end MTB or roadies for some reason.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big P View Post
    Hi i know this is off topic but i need some advice. Ive been looking for bikes under 700 bucks and the komodo is 750 and i also found the brodie groove which is 775(dont hold me to it.) Im looking for a burly strong bike to handle whatever i find because im a big clyde(275) who rides motocross so i like to fly a little bit! Considering all options but im new to mtb so i dont know all the manufacturers etc.

-Pat
    The Komodo is my first MTB and I love it. That being said, out of the box the RST fork and tektro brakes are junk. RST for weights a ton, has loads of stiction, and the preload adjusters don't work. Replaced it with a rockshox sektor r 150mm travel. Also, I replaced the brakes with BB7's. Everything else is getting replaced as it breaks or goes bad. I say go with the Komodo but I don't know anything else; not sure if I want to either.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    2013 scares me a bit. Hope they have tall enough seat tubes to be a decent AMHT. Really wish they'd go back to a bridged stay on at least the caliper side. I'm starting to not like it anymore. May have to make my next AMHT a Ragley Bagger and write Jamis off. I've been a long-time Jamis fanboi because of the great value mixed with well thought out design, but it's starting to crap out. I'm still very intrigued with the Dragon B...but my favorite bike has now become a Grom Tool.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    yeah, i have to agree. Every year the spec gets weaker and weaker. No gravity-offerings, no serious AM/Enduro bikes. Nothing.

I still love my Xam, but I have been checking Konas new stuff, they are on point this year. The Kona Process is wicked.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Hey guys, my 2003 Komodo (17" frame) is about to see a little love. I want to convert to 1x9 and notice a lot of you are successfully running a bashguard sandwich. In simply looking at my chain stays, it looks like I may have a clearance issue with the inner bash hitting the chainstays. Can anyone deny or confirm that there is or isn't room down there? - before I start spending/wasting money

I plan to use a 32t ring with bash and BBG inner, if it would fit.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    If anything...you can take a dremel to it. Just install it and start shaving if it's too tight. I've done that twice now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    2013 US site:

Specifications
    Frame
    7005 aluminum main tubes, 1.5 - 1 1/8" tapered head tube, heavy-duty stays, ISCG tabs & replaceable derailleur hanger

Fork
    RST DIRT, external preload adjustor, coil/MCU spring with hydraulic damping, magnesium lowers, 32mm steel stanchions, 130mm travel

Headset
    FSA Orbit 1.5 Zero-Stack internal cup, for tapered head tube, 30mm shim stack

Wheels
    Alex TD25 double-wall disc-specific rims with reinforced spoke bed rims, Formula alloy 6-bolt disc hubs, 14g black stainless steel spokes

Tires
    Geax Mezcal, 26 x 2.3"

Derailleurs
    Shimano Acera rear mid-cage, Shimano M190 34.9mm dual pull front

Shiftlevers
    Shimano M310, 8-speed

Chain
    KMC Z82

Cassette
    SRAM PG-820, 8-speed, 11-32

Crankset
    TruVativ Blaze 2.0 AM, 36/24 heat-treated chromoly rings, with alloy bash guard, 170mm

BB Set
    TruVativ PowerSpline, sealed cartridge, 73 x 113mm

Pedals
    Flats, full alloy with pedal spikes

Brakeset
    Tektro Novela mechanical disc brakes with 160mm rotors & ML-330 levers

Handlebar
    FUNN Flat Out riser bar, 31.8 x 30mm rise x 710mm

Stem
    FUNN Crossfire alloy 4-bolt bar clamp, 3D forged w/ center CNC bore, 6° rise x 50mm

Grips
    Jamis Lock-On, dual density

Seat Post
    FUNN Crossfire alloy micro-adjust, forged one-piece, 31.6 x 400mm with alloy QR clamp

Saddle
    FUNN Solace, water-resistant cover, impact-resistant base

Sizes
    S (14"), M (16.5"), L (18.5")

Color
    Ano Halo or Primer Grey

Weight
    33.00 lbs

Descr:
    If you thrive on connection to the trail, if you live for big air and the flow of a screaming descent — Komodo will take you there, without the added weight and complexity of dual suspension.

It takes a unique rider to appreciate what Komodo has to offer—its redesigned-for-’13 frameset is built for strength, with yoked chainstays, a 73mm BB shell with ISCG tabs, and a down tube that’s ovalized to a hefty 67 mm at the tapered head tube for supreme front-end stiffness. This is a gravity-inspired frame, with slacker head and seat tube angles for high-speed handling and the strength and stability to handle big landings.

But this is more than a downhiller’s specialty bike—the impressively short 410 mm chainstays tuck that rear wheel in tight, for corner-on-rails handling and climbing traction to rival our top-tier cross-country bikes.

zaiceoperator
    Dec 2011
    OMG, Acera.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    It's the trickle-down effect, right? Yesterdays XTR is todays Acera?

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

What?
    I dont know about that

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    New Komodo looks sweet and with the seat tube sizes I think you're happy right Chelboed? The bike is also now officially listed as AM on the website.

I'm seeing a new top, down, and head-tube there and what look to be the burly seat stays from the '08 model year.

Confession: My '08 has been stripped down and the parts are now riding around on my Giant STP. Per the recommendation of this thread I've kept the Komodo frame and maybe I'll find the time / $ to build it into a trail machine someday. Its trail duties were previously replaced by an Intense Tracer VP.

zaiceoperator
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed View Post
    Yesterdays XTR is todays Acera?
    It depends. I've 'upgraded' from '08 Acera to '11 Alivio, but this actually looked like a downgrade: old Acera seems to be a lot more stiff and clear.
    Anyway, Acera instead of X4 looks rather strange to me.

What?
    The shop I worked at over the summer called me today to tell me they want to part out a 2011 Komodo(mentioned I wanted to build one)

Should I snatch up the frame and build it up as a play bike or should I look for a different model year. I would be buying the frame and head set only and building the rest up from there. What do you guys think?

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast