Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
    Curb Jumper
    I've been kind of neglecting my Komodo. I mean, it gets ridden and put away. The frame is getting scratched up so it may be time for a paint job. Who knows... :\

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    i'm actually thinking of stripping mine to raw aluminum.

banned
    Nov 2011
    Here is the near almost finished Komodo, but newer improved from a month ago....

A month ago....

New upgrades....

Have a white MRP and switching over to 9-speed instead on stock 8-speed.

Sorry, second pic was done with my cell phone, not my camera like the first pic, so thus not as crisp....LOL

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Win + Fail Awesome MTB Jumping - YouTube

vid of me jumping a creek/ gully.

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Pea-Ta View Post
    Win + Fail Awesome MTB Jumping - YouTube

vid of me jumping a creek/ gully.
    BAHAHAHAHAHAHA........

Nice jump, but damn that second end coming was too funny! I didn't see it the first time until I backtracked the video and then saw him nose dive that turn. Good one I must say...LOL

mtbr member
    I broke my 08 Komodo the other day.Broke where the seatpost goes in the fame.Sent it in to see if they will warranty it.I will miss it.I hope they will swap a 29er Excile frame for it.I dont like the new Komodo.
    09 Ventana El Bastardo 650b
    10 Banshee Viento

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Pic?
    You guys wanna ride bikes?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    +1...I suspect the seatpost wasn't in far enough and shock wasn't absorbed with legs, rather butt.
    I get my boards at Lux-RC.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed View Post
    +1...I suspect the seatpost wasn't in far enough and shock wasn't absorbed with legs, rather butt.
    Seatpost was in far enough.I ride with a bike mechanic he said it was fine.I have been riding with the same set up for 4 years.
    09 Ventana El Bastardo 650b
    10 Banshee Viento

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Well that's definitely a first for me. I've not seen a broken Komodo before. Hell hath frozen. You could try to get them to give you credit toward a 650 Dragon. That looks like a fun frame.

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Moodrid View Post
    I broke my 08 Komodo the other day.Broke where the seatpost goes in the fame.Sent it in to see if they will warranty it.I will miss it.I hope they will swap a 29er Excile frame for it.I dont like the new Komodo.
    Wow, that is a rare thing that happened there. I have never heard of any Komodo's breaking at all anywhere on the frames. Not saying yours did though.

Well, at least it was not the main part of the frame like most bikes...LOL

Wanna ride bikes?
    Can anyone recommend me a solid chainguide for my 08?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Forgot about this thread. I haven't ridden the Komodo since 2010. Going to sell it this year. In the meantime, I converted to ride BMX cruiser class until I find a better frame. Not much Komodo left in it. It is way out of balance for DJ, but otherwise quick and light for racing and manuals. Current weight 24 lbs.
    XT cranks, Mavic Crossride wheels, Maxxis DTH tires, X-Fusion Velvet (100mm), Kore 50mm stem, Spank 777 bars, ODI rogue grips. 32x14 gear works perfect for the dropouts! Going to swap to pivital seat, composite pedals and XT hydraulic brake. That should get it down another pound.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Clean Komodo there!

Here's mine.

@ lunchbox: I'm using a blackspire stinger for chain guide/ chain tension. Works well so far.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    hey guys, have a few questions....
    just getting into biking. i raced bmx back in the day and still race motocross. i cant run anymore due to an injury and wanted to get a bike to start riding and stay in shape.
    what is everyones opinion on the komodo for an all around bike?
    i was looking for something more AM oriented because i know ill enjoy jumping more than most and definitely downhill, but will have i good share of uphill, singletrack, and even a few commutes here and there.
    also, what size frame should i look towards for a good all around frame? im 5'6-5'7 but the local jamis place does not have any komodos in stock yet. have to order one :\
    also, any advice or insight on the bike would be awesome!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Has this never been answered? Crap! The Komodo sized right, is an excellent platform for anything from a trail bike to all mountain to dirt jump to freeride. I first built mine with a 160mm freeride fork, gravity dropper post and 2.5/2.7 inch meats. Then I got more into XC and went with a fox float 140 and other diet parts to bring it down to 26#. Built it back up to a great AM hardtail with a 5.5” PIKE and a nice mid-gnar build. It handles best with approximately 140-150mm fork and is a very tough frame.

I highly recommend it on a regular basis.
    Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Don't know if I posted this here, but I'm back to the good ol' 1x9 with some swanky red Atlas cranks.

Still my favorite frame to date.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Updates:

I had been hearing a couple of "tick" noises coming from my PIKE / bars-stem area. I couldn't narrow it down at first b/c it sounded like it was 2 different noises. I assumed one of them was the coil shield shrink-tubing working its way down and the spring coming in contact with the inside of the tube, but the other sounded like aluminum noise.

-I took the stem / bars off and regreased everything. Aluminum tick went away, but the coil tick was still there.
    -I tore the PIKE apart and saw that the shrink tube had worked its way "up" to the top of the spring. I moved it back to center. Coil tick gone...
    -ReAssembled it all and saw that my stem is cracked.

To those of you who don't know...this is a very special setup. I bought this fork with the intentions of rebuilding a RM Flow. The Flow was too small for my liking, so I sold it, but kept the fork for my Komodo.

Problem: Komodo head tube is really tall.
    Solution: Crank Bro's Iodine headset has an ultra-low stack height. Spank Spike Original stem has an ultra-low stack height. (26mm!!) Problem solved and I've been ballin the Komodo for over 2 years now.

New problem: Spank Spike Original is no longer being produced. New Spike is 35mm stack height.

Solution: Funn Funnduro stem has a 30mm stack height. Just enough to make it work.
    Problem: Funnduro stem is "No Longer in Stock" in any store that I can find.

Solution: The Ragley Stubbing Stem is a 30mm stack height too. Evan's Cycles is the only place I saw a quote and it said: "I 'believe' it's 35mm." He's full of crap because you can see on the picture that the 31.8mm clamp hole is larger than the stack block. It's 30mm and it's $67 shipped from CRC. OUCH!!

The Funnduro is now available from Universal cycles and looks cooler IMO, but they were out of stock when I ordered the Stubbing.

Well, the Ragley Stubbing got here today. Ironically, the Funn Funnduro is now available. Had I known it would be so quick, I would have gotten the Funn due to the crazy-cool looks.

IMO, the Ragley is still one of the nicest stems I've ever had in this price/weight range. Seems very stout. Low 30mm stack height works perfect with the PIKE. I couldn't have asked for a more perfect fit.

Much tougher build quality than my Thomson.

Sent from my daggum phone because I have no life.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Hello all,

I've been a long time lurker mostly in the DH forum and I want to pick up a hardtail. I found a 04 Komodo FX on craigslist was trying to find some info on it. i saw one in this thread and i was wondering if anyone had any more info or experience with it?
    Last edited by grndzro26; 08-01-2012 at 12:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by grndzro26 View Post
    Hello all,

I've been a long time lurker mostly in the DH forum and I want to pick up a hardtail. I found a 04 Komodo FX on craigslist was trying to find some info on it. i saw one in this thread and i was wondering if anyone had any more info or experience with it?
    Hey man, welcome!

If you lurk back on page one of this large thread, there's a picture on the second post of my 2004 Komodo Team 19" that I built from the frame up:

The Komodo has gone through 4 major overhauls since it started AFAIK.

Early on, it was an Easton RAD tubed XC race frame. (I've got a 1998)
    Around 2003 or 2004, it became a nice / light trail bike. (my img above)
    2005 was the best step forward IMO. It became a Freeride Hardtail. (I've got an '05)
    2008 saw the rifled TT for more clearance. (Like the current model) Now it has ISCG.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

2000 (looks like a riser bar to me)

2001 (back to flat with a butt-bumper post)

2002 (slightly bridged stays...internal cup type headset)

2003 (the new trail bike...notice the DT/HT gusset for the longer travel fork?)

Last edited by chelboed; 08-01-2012 at 10:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Beginning of the Freeride Hardtail design:

2005 (massively bigger tubing, bridged stays, gussets all over the place, traditional headset, slacker, etc...)

2007 (upgraded to a 30.9 seatpost)

2008 (arguably the diamond in the rough / best year for the Komodo: new rifled TT, internal cup type HS with shorter stack HT, and my favorite...the only new style rifled Komodo with bridged stays...if you see one, snag it!)

2009 (removed bridged stays...saves weight...shorter chain stays, I believe)

2010 (same through 2012 AFAIK)

IMO, (Jamis...listen) they need to bring back the 2008. Keep the chain stays short, but get those bridge supports back in there so us big guys can mash on the brakes hard without twisting the rear triangle enough to cause noisy brakes from mis-alignment. This was why I got rid of my 2004. When you crank down on the brakes, the mildly flexy rear tri tubes visibly twisted the brake caliper out of alignment causing awful brake noise. Little dudes don't experience this because there's less stress on the frame...hence, less brake force needed to stop a 160#rider versus my 200#'s.
    Last edited by chelboed; 08-01-2012 at 10:04 PM.

Curb Jumper
    I always keep an eye on this thread but I always fail to post. Of all the things I photograph, my bike is rarely the subject. I really need to change that up and get some shots of my rig. It's a stock '09 but this 160lb rider loves it! Nice and light for me, yet durable enough to take all the sh!t I put it through, including but not limited to copious amounts of urban assaults.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks for all the info Chelboed. The one on craigslist is the black 2004 you posted.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    That's a fun frame. Really lightweight but still a good tough trail bike.

Sent from my daggum phone because I have no life.

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast