Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
    banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed View Post
    Is the Lyrik or Domain a U-Turn? My vote would be one of those two. If you don't like it, "all travel" it down to 140.
    No, either one are U-Turn. I am used to 150" to 203" travel forks anyways, and my big hit HT (IH Yakuza Gashira) has the Lyric on it right now. The 100mm travel fork on it now feels real odd for me....LOL

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I'm really impressed with the Domain for the money. If the Lyrik feels the same and is lighter, cool...otherwise stick with the Domain. I had a Domain on my Komodo for a while and it felt great. IMO, coil trumps air if that helps sway the decision.
    I get my boards at Lux-RC.com

banned
    Nov 2011
    I'm really impressed with the Domain for the money. If the Lyrik feels the same and is lighter, cool...otherwise stick with the Domain. I had a Domain on my Komodo for a while and it felt great. IMO, coil trumps air if that helps sway the decision.
    Yeah, I like the Domain 302 I have, though i also like the Lyrik as well, but my Domain is just sitting right now. Lyric is air and the Domain is coil with air assist.

Thanks so much for your valuable input bro!

BTW, what size tire do you run for your rear tire?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I usually run a 2.35" Kenda rear tire. I have run a 2.5" tire before, but as big as I am...I get a little bit of rub. (not a big deal, I guess) If you string up your wheels a little tighter so they don't flex, you could get away with 2.5's alright.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfman00 View Post
    Jamis typically only likes dealing with dealers, but- go on googlemaps, type g joannou cycle and you will find their direct number. call them and ask them about the fork and see what they say/recommend.

The newer komodo is designed around a 100mm fork for DJ, SS. the HA on it is 68, the older design was 67.5. If you threw a 160mm on the current design, your HA would be around 65.5 unsagged and with sag probably a touch over 66 (depending on how you set it up. Having said that...you "could" run a 160, but if you would have to find a fork with the lowest axle to crown for starters, run more sag 25-30%, and run more compression since your going to either be running it will less air or a softer coil. I say running alot of sag so you can keep your geo somewhat reasonable and trail-rideable. A set up like that could work out very well.
    Still call jamis though.
    If all else fails- find an old pike, newer sektor, or marz 44 micro ('11 or newer)

make sense sorta?
    I've called Jamis before for info. They were pretty helpful. It's been a while, but here's my contact info for them:

eight hundred 2two2 0570
    two01 seven6eight 9050

banned
    Nov 2011
    I usually run a 2.35" Kenda rear tire. I have run a 2.5" tire before, but as big as I am...I get a little bit of rub. (not a big deal, I guess) If you string up your wheels a little tighter so they don't flex, you could get away with 2.5's alright.
    Thanks bro! I put a Maxxis Ardent 2.4 on the front and rear, but damn, the rear one looks so big compared to the front one. It fits, but just fits.

Thanks for the contact number for Jamis, i will give them a shout tomorrow. I have been trying to get a hold of the one down in Miami, but unsuccessful though.

Thanks again!

banned
    Nov 2011
    Well, I just heard from Jamis and they said that 140mm is the max for my bike without undue stress on the headtube and frame. He said the '04 to '07 frames were designed for 140mm plus forks.

I am not going to debated them, but it's hard to see that only 20mm travel will really negatively effect the headtube and frame that much. I understand the headtube angle will change, but anymore stress to the frame for only 20mm is hard to understand sorta of....LOL

Anyways, thanks guys for all your great input and feedback, it's all been awesome!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    It's a canned "cover my butt" statement. $160 would be fine too...they are limited by the paperwork, not the design.

Either way...I still think the Argyle RCT is the perfect Komodo fork. It's a tough DJ style fork, but it's 140mm.

banned
    Nov 2011
    Thanks chelboed! Yeah man, those Argyles are sweet forks by far. I know a few riders that have that one (140's that is), and they rave about them. The Argyle reminds me of my Totem I have on my big bike, and they remind me of the Lyric and Domain that I also have. Of course my wife is not going to let me spend another dollar on another fork for now anyways, so I guess the Komodo will either get the 145mm Nixon or the 160mm RS Domain 302. Mmmmm, decisions....LOL.

Thanks again chelboed and yeah, I know what you mean about the "cover their butt" statement....

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Well...as I said, you could always "all travel" the Lyrik or Domain down to 140mm. Just make a PVC "top-out" spacer and install.

banned
    Nov 2011
    Well...as I said, you could always "all travel" the Lyrik or Domain down to 140mm. Just make a PVC "top-out" spacer and install.
    Very true....

banned
    Nov 2011
    OK, here is my new Komodo with a few upgrades and more to come (bigger fork, 1x9 set-up, white or purple pedals, and a few other minute changes).....

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Daggum, buddy! I'm usually an anti-girl-color-bike kinda guy...but that looks HAWT!! The Odi rings really accent well. On a side note regarding all-traveling a 35mm fork...it looks freakin beastly and awesome!

Here's my '05 with a Domain UT set at 115mm.

banned
    Nov 2011
    ^^^

Thanks man! Everyone was saying the same thing, but after they saw it, their jaws dropped....LOL.

I love purple (amethyst is my favorite stone), so i flew with this, and it is still not done yet.

One thing for sure, that DJ fork (100mm) just is not hacking it for me, I need some front lift....LOL.

BTW, like that steed of yours bro, that's sweeeet! I like that style frame better, but I am getting used to this style frame on mine.

banned
    Nov 2011
    Is that Holy Rollers i see on that rig of yours?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Holy wha? Aren't Holy Rollers made by maxxis?

Edit: I'd steer clear of the white pedals. Mine on the Parker are looking pretty haggard.

banned
    Nov 2011
    Holy wha? Aren't Holy Rollers made by maxxis?

Edit: I'd steer clear of the white pedals. Mine on the Parker are looking pretty haggard.
    ^^^

.....LOL! I meant to say K-Rads. I was thinking of my Holy Rollers...LOL. I see they look like Nevegals now, after looking a bit closer. My bad bro!!

Thank for the heads up on the white pedals, as i have been debating that one. I think most white pedals are powder coated anyways and not anodized anyways.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Yeah, back then I was running 2.5 / 2.35 nev's. I also ran a 2.7 / 2.5 setup, but it was tight. I'm running a 2.35 Excavator F / 2.35 Nev rear now.

Australia = phun
    Sep 2010
    The purple looks really good on the new 'dj' style frame of the komodo.

Flying in High in the Sky
    Jul 2011
    Ordered the last 2010 Komodo 2 small frame from JensonUSA. Bike should be arriving on Tuesday. So excited! Can't wait to take it for a test run.

Australia = phun
    Sep 2010
    What's your build gonna be?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Here's my 08

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Question for you guys...

I bought a 2009 Jamis Komodo II in size 14. I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam, and I originally built it up as a rigid street bike. It was great in that mode, but I decided to turn it into a slopestyle/gravity bike with a 120mm travel fork and a 1X8 set-up.

Any of you riding a small frame at my height? I mostly ride XC and used to a low, stretched out riding position. The trails I ride require a lot of climbing to get to anything good... so do you just deal with the cramped climbs to enjoy the flickable small frame?

I'm just hoping I didn't make too big of a mistake by going with a smaller frame. Here's how it looks like decked out in street mode. I decided if I'm going to ride street, I'm doing it on a 20" BMX.

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Question for you guys...

I bought a 2009 Jamis Komodo II in size 14. I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam, and I originally built it up as a rigid street bike. It was great in that mode, but I decided to turn it into a slopestyle/gravity bike with a 120mm travel fork and a 1X8 set-up.

Any of you riding a small frame at my height? I mostly ride XC and used to a low, stretched out riding position. The trails I ride require a lot of climbing to get to anything good... so do you just deal with the cramped climbs to enjoy the flickable small frame?

I'm just hoping I didn't make too big of a mistake by going with a smaller frame. Here's how it looks like decked out in street mode. I decided if I'm going to ride street, I'm doing it on a 20" BMX.

Very nice set-up indeed, but not sure if a small was a smart move for your size, but if that's what works for ya, then no worries. I am 5'10"/5'11" and fly with the medium frame, and it is awesome. I do have a 15.5 frame, but another brand, and it is kinda cramped fro me. I do like the large frame bikes, as they bulky and not very flickable. Ride it and see how it feels for you bro.

Again, sweet build!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I am 5' 10" and ride the 16.5" frame. It still feels a bit small for the climbs but the descents are pretty sweet.

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast