Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

This little rubber piece was loose in my box. All I can think of is that it's supposed to go between the bars and the stem. Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Got me. A little more in focus and sitting next to a quarter or a ruler for size reference would be helpful though.
    I get my boards at Lux-RC.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    looks like one of those cable bumpers that jagwire makes, you know...to keep the cable from rubbing the frame. At least, from the photo thats what it looks like to me.

Australia = phun
    Sep 2010
    *nevermind*
    Last edited by icalebkim; 11-27-2011 at 03:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Sorry about the misinformation on the 08 Komodo chain guide size the other week, but I see you guys have straightened that out and obviously it's an ISCG05.

I have to say that the recent activity on this thread has given me some ideas and got me interested in accelerating the re-build of my own Komodo. You see I borrowed a ton of parts from it to build up my Tracer VP. I've been slowly upgrading the Tracer so that I can shift some of the parts back to the Komodo and should be able to complete it next weekend, after my new Havoc wheelset arrives.

In the new incarnation, the bike will be a 1x8 setup (sounds simple right?) with a new stylo crank and sram 8 speed cassette.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lets see some komodo's-komodo.jpg  

You guys wanna ride bikes?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Noice fork!

Wanna ride bikes?
    Lovin the pike, the uturn is awesome

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by geek81 View Post
    Awesome. I was contemplating getting one for my 8 yr old, who is 4'6". Thought it would be too big, but it looks like your son fits on it fine. I just ordered one from Jenson.
    Very cool. Can't wait to see some action shots. My kid loves his. I put him in a full face, shin gaurds and compression shorts. Now he bombs down almost anything.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed View Post

This setup is lighter then the Blackspire Blackguard and IMO looks a bit less cobby. Cleaner look. Still loving the BBG outer bash too!
    Well...I've decided to go back to a granny. These new trails that I live near aren't necessarily all that "climby", but there are alot of little techy sections and short punchy techy/boulder climbs that really need the granny. I've walked them twice with my 1x9 setup. Never with the granny. I'll leave the 1998 Komodo set up as a 1x9 though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Here are some pics of the build. Chain and pedals after I get a shifter cable from my LBS today. It'll be done eventually, but it's feeling pretty light right now. Those Havoc AM wheels weigh next to nothing. Not too sure about 24 spoke wheels, but we'll see how they hold up. Setup is going to be 1x8 with the stinger in there as a chainguide. I think I'm going to trail it from time to time so I'll likely be adding a front brake. Any thoughts on the build welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lets see some komodo's-lightbox-photos.s3.amazonaws.com%252fphotos%252f6fa10f884da1a933fe89ab8007cb8e8e_242451_lrg.jpg  

lets see some komodo's-lightbox-photos.s3.amazonaws.com%252fphotos%252faaa45f8b7a790bb22fdc57ac4efdebf5_129836_lrg.jpg  

lets see some komodo's-lightbox-photos.s3.amazonaws.com%252fphotos%252f4f72316edcbdadc12d725b87ecfcce36_264874_lrg.jpg  

What?
    Why is your damper on the left?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    the image is flipped, hence what FUNN is backwards.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Ha, that's weird. The whole image is reversed

What?
    I didnt notice it was only flipped in one picture

Wanna ride bikes?
    Shot this quick video the day I got my Go Pro.

Last edited by Lunchbox362; 01-11-2012 at 07:12 PM.

Wanna ride bikes?

Nother video on my komodo, plus a crash I thought might entertain you guys

Cheaa
    Anyone 5'8 or 5'9 that run a 14inch frame? Also do you recommend the 08 1.0 for $350 or the 2.0 for $499?? Thinking about ditching my Response Sport
    Faith-Love-Drive = drs, Kanjii *Cheaa* ++XC ++

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dstaks View Post
    Anyone 5'8 or 5'9 that run a 14inch frame? Also do you recommend the 08 1.0 for $350 or the 2.0 for $499?? Thinking about ditching my Response Sport
    Yeah man, it is well worth the $499 for the '10 Jamis Komodo I just got. It is a sick ride fo sho. Of course i would never dismount my big steed though, but this bike is awesome by far bro. It is my new FR/DJ/street!

As per size, nah man, you need to stick with the medium frames. I like a smaller frame to flick around, and I am 5'11 (used to be 6' a few years ago, so I guess when they say you shrink with age, I believe that now....LOL), and a medium fits that ticket.. I ride a 17 to 17.5" frame (medium), but the Komodo I just got is a medium (16.5") and it fits great for me. Any smaller, it would be too cramped and just not feel right per say. Just saying...

Anyways, if you can get it in a medium frame, you would be better, but unless you like the feel of those little frames...LOL.

Here is a stock pic of mine before I am pimping it out....

The Bomber fork on the '10 Komodo is tip top bro!

banned
    Nov 2011
    Hey guys, I got a question for all you Komodo riders, though i am part of this elite group now per say...LOL.

I have tried to get a hold of Jamis directly to find out what the top travel fork can be used on the '10 Jamia Komodo, but cannot get anyone contact me. Strange i must say....LOL.

My question is.....What is the most travel that the Komodo can handle as per a fork?.

I know it can not handle a 180mm or better fo sho, as that would be way too much fork for this bike and too much stress on the head tube and frame.

Is it OK for a 150 to 160mm fork? I have seen Komodo's with 150's on them, and a couple with a 160mm travel fork. I have a 150mm and a spare 160mm travel fork to put on this new steed of mine. I do have love for the 100mm Bomber on it now, but I feel so weird trail riding with that fork. So, what is your recommendations for this frame.

Thank you in advance!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonsai-CP View Post
    Hey guys, I got a question for all you Komodo riders, though i am part of this elite group now per say...LOL.

I have tried to get a hold of Jamis directly to find out what the top travel fork can be used on the '10 Jamia Komodo, but cannot get anyone contact me. Strange i must say....LOL.
    Jamis typically only likes dealing with dealers, but- go on googlemaps, type g joannou cycle and you will find their direct number. call them and ask them about the fork and see what they say/recommend.

The newer komodo is designed around a 100mm fork for DJ, SS. the HA on it is 68, the older design was 67.5. If you threw a 160mm on the current design, your HA would be around 65.5 unsagged and with sag probably a touch over 66 (depending on how you set it up. Having said that...you "could" run a 160, but if you would have to find a fork with the lowest axle to crown for starters, run more sag 25-30%, and run more compression since your going to either be running it will less air or a softer coil. I say running alot of sag so you can keep your geo somewhat reasonable and trail-rideable. A set up like that could work out very well.
    Still call jamis though.
    If all else fails- find an old pike, newer sektor, or marz 44 micro ('11 or newer)

make sense sorta?

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfman00 View Post
    make sense sorta?
    Makes a lot of sense, thanks bro!

I do have a Nixxon fork with 145mm travel I would love to throw on it, and most likely would help the geo better with much less chance at stressing the frames.

I guess i can always get a hold of our local dealer as well and see what they have to say as well.

Thanks again, as that made great sense!

I am soo stoked with having this bike, and can't wait to pimp it up some more...LOL

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    You're not going to hurt the frame unless you ride like an idiot. It will handle a160mm fork just fine. If you spend more time going downhill than pedaling, it will feel really good at 160. As stated...a Sektor would be alright, but the coolest fork for it would be the Argyle RCT 140mm. It's basically the new Pike.

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed View Post
    You're not going to hurt the frame unless you ride like an idiot. It will handle a160mm fork just fine. If you spend more time going downhill than pedaling, it will feel really good at 160. As stated...a Sektor would be alright, but the coolest fork for it would be the Argyle RCT 140mm. It's basically the new Pike.
    Yeah, I kinda figured that, though still wanted to ask some of the Komodo clan...LOL. I have the 160mm Domain and the Lyric, along with the 145mm Nixon. The Nixon has been an awesome fork on my FR bike, so that why I though I would bring that one over on the Komodo if it would not take either one of my 160mm forks.

I will be doing more DH and some hucking as well, but no real climbing. Heck, I live in flat FL....LOL. Though i do go out of state. Mainly it just going to be a FR bike anyways for around here or elswhere.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Is the Lyrik or Domain a U-Turn? My vote would be one of those two. If you don't like it, "all travel" it down to 140.

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast