mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Leaky shock on Dakar XC comp, is this normal?

I purchased a 2006 Dakar XC Comp and it arrived this week, I noticed when I opened the box the rear Fox Float R had some fluid or lube around the area where the rebound knob is. I wiped it off and continued to admire my new frame. The next day I checked the frame and there was more lube fluid in the same area. I called the shop that sold me the frame and they stated they needed me to send a picture. I sent the pic to them and they said they called fox and they said sometimes the shock may come from the factory with too much fluid and I need to ride it for 10-15 rides and see if it levels out. I need to know if a new Fox Float R 2006 model could act like this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Interesting to note. I pick up my bike today and will check it out and report back.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I have minor oil film aroud that area of the shock, however not as much as your picture shows. Man I love this bike, a major step up from my old reliable GT RTS-2. A lot of bang for the buck, sure glad I did not spend the $800 on a hardtail.