mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Komoto frame sizing

new here and to mtbs in general. Wanting a good bike to ride some local trails. Lots of steep hills and roots and rocks but no jumps. Looks like I could get a halfway decent bike at Walmart (Mongoose) but I'd rather spend a little more and get a quality bike. . I know the Komoto is classified as a jump bike but I weigh 245 so I need a solid frame. I'm 5'11" with a 31" inseam. JensonUSA has an 08 Komoto1 in the 16.5 in size. I read here DJ, Dirt Jumping Mountain Biking, Bikes, Bike, Frame and it says dirt jump bike usually run about 2 inches smaller than regular mtbs. Just dont want to order the bike and then find out it is too small. I ride a road bike and a recumbent but wanted to mix it up a little. I also have a Rans Dynamik but I think it is better suited for lesser terrain. TIA for any suggestions.

mtbr member
    Hey man, i was in the same dilemma when i was looking for a bike, so ima help as much as i can. im 5'11" 31" inseam and this is me sitting on my 08 komodo.

this is with 1" cut off seattube and seat slammed.
    get the komodo, perfect size great price, $hits all over mongoose. u wont be dissapointed. feel free to ask any questions. i just posted some pics in the "lets see some komodos" thread

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks, I just looked your ride up. Love those rims. I'll probably ride mine stock for awhile, Just found out I have to replace some sheetrock and carpet where an AC drain stopped up and it was leaking into the room.

mtbr member
    sucks when real life stuff ruins fun life stuff. i remember losing my mind trying to decide on a bike to get so i try to help as much as i can.

mine was basically stock for the last 6 mos ive had it. None of the parts had to be replaced bc they broke or anything, so i can highly recommend this bike and i dont think u will be disappointed. especially for the price jensons running right now, u cant lose. hit me up with any other questions

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    just ordered the 16.5" bike. Cant wait for it to get here, put together, and on the road...er I mean trails. Wish I could have taken advantage of the free assembly offer. Oh well, still looks like a great bike.
    Last edited by coyboy; 09-06-2011 at 08:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    bike came yesterday. I was busy with some remodeling but got it put together this morning. Have not had a chance to ride it much except across the pasture but my immediate impression is that it feels more like a 29r than a 26. I think it is because the bottom bracket is higher on this bike than any Ive ever ridden so I feel like I'm way up in the air. But the ride feels good. I'll try to get some pics of it tomorrow on the trail if the carpet guys get here and gone in time.