mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Kenda Nevegal... 2.1 or 2.35?

I've got the 05 Dakar XLT 2.0.

It came stock with Hutchenson Spyders in 2.30.

I can't stand these tires. I ride in the Inland Empire of SoCal. So there's a lot of sand, hardpack, etc. Most rides are in the San Berdo mountains, although I do use the bike to commute to work as well as ride in San Tim canyon out of my house.

I'm set on getting a set of Kenda Nevegals but I'm torn on the 2.1 or the 2.35s.

Is the 2.1 Nevegal still in the "all mountain" category of mtb tires or is it more of a skinny cross country tire?

Has anyone run both widths? Given the information above, which would you reccomend?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I have never run Nevegals, but on my XAM, I used to run 2.35 front and 2.1 rear (Ignitors). Plenty of grip up front for good steering and a nice lighter weight, faster rolling tyre in the rear. Worked a treat for me.

!
    I had both. I've used a 2.1 DTC on the rear and 2.35 Stick-E up front on DT Swiss 5.1 rims and thought I had plenty o grip. Recently I switched to both 2.35 front/rear but sticky versions this time. Totally feel the rolling resistance now. I'm kinda regretting the fatter stickier tire now on most rides, but it sure did rock in Pisgah when it was damp and rocky. I would stick to the lighter and faster rolling 2.1 in the rear.
    I AM WE TODD DID

I AM SOFA KING WE TODD DID

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Ok. I'll try running a combo of 2.1 in the rear and 2.35 up front. Thanks to both of you for the advice

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I run Kenda Nevegal 2.1s on both the front and back. I love them, and haven't been in a situation yet where I thought more tire would have helped me...

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I've been running 2.35 Neve's for quite a while now. I like the performance gain of the Stick-E's, but they wear fast. I'm on some DTC's now. They're still great on traction, but they last so much longer.

Your XLT begs for 2.35's. They will give you a bit more floatation in sand as well. You can run lower pressures b/c of the larger casing so it will give your plush ride and even smoother feel. Traction will be much better too.

I'd say if you're not afraid to replace them often...go with some 2.35" Stick-E's. If you need them to last a while...I'd go DTC's. 2.35" is what the XLT deeply desires. Don't make it angry...you won't like her when she's angry!!

As far as rolling resistance...hmm...I don't ride trails that are flat/hard packed enough to even notice rolling resistance. You don't notice it on the loose/rocky/rooty terrain around here. The traction gain, floatation gain, and plushness of the larger casing is what works around here.

mtbr member
    I run 2.35 front and rear, DTC, love um. If your not tubeless yet make the jump!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jtbrill632
    I run 2.35 front and rear, DTC, love um. If your not tubeless yet make the jump!
    I can see the benefits of tubeless for XC/trail riding, but I just don't think it would stay sealed for aggressive trail / freeride stuff.

With tubes, I only run 38psi unless I go do stair gaps and drops, then I pump it up to 50 psi so I don't bottom out and ruin a rim. If I were tubeless, I think the tire would roll off the rim in a "high-G" turn and would definately "burp" air on vertical drops/landings.

Heck man...I've dropped my psi down to 25 before and my bike felt squirrelly...especially on off-camber sections. I hated it...I didn't feel glued to the singletrack. Even if I did have Stans, I'd keep it at 30psi or above...I can do that with tubes.

Lighter riders don't quite understand how it is for someone that's 195lbs.

My riding buddy has a Stans setup and I've seen my share of burped air.

I just don't think it's for me.

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006
    Agreed. I rode my bro in law's stumpy with crossmax SL's and I hated the tubeless feel. It felt super sloppy - like the rear end had play in it when it doesn't. I totally agree with Chelboed's sentiments about getting enough performance from a tube setup.

mtbr member
    I weigh about 205 on a good day, never had any problems and absolutly love the feel. How ever I do fall into the catagory you mentioned, XC light drops and small jumps. That set up would probably not work to good for free ride.