zen
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Just joined the club - new '05 Dakar XC Expert

What a beautiful bike she is! I've only been on one ride so far but I'm pretty happy so far...

There are only a couple of things I want to change at the moment:

1) Ditch the Hutchinson Bulldogs -- these these are downright scary on fast turns! There is absolutely no side tread and they almost slipped out from under me a couple of times. I'm thinking of running some Panaracer Fire XC Pros.

2) Switch to a short flat bar. I've never been a fan of risers and my test ride confirms my dislike.

Otherwise, I think this is going to be a good ride once I get it dialed in...I'm stoked!

Pictures coming soon...

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    For a long time the only poor spec on Jamis was the Hutchinson's....glad they switched to dealing with Maxxis. Love my Ignitors!!
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Me too!

Or rather, I should say I picked up a used 05 XC expert on ebay for around 1K. Turned out to be in super conditon. They were selling for $1385 new. I also just ordered FSA flatbars, a Ritchey WCS 4-axis stem, Thomson Masterpiece seatpost, and will be using a velo road sead to shave off approx 350 grams. The frame on the 05 weighs 6.5 lbs, as apposed to the 07, which weighs 5.5. Of course the wheels are Mavic 317 laced to XT hubs. Anyone have any input into lighter wheelset options?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Well...since you're on a Dakar XC and not an XLT, there's a ton of lightweight choices. (I say that b/c XLT's should have a little heavier duty set)

So...what I'd do is get some Hope Pro II hubs laced to some DT XR 4.1d rims with Super Comp spokes and alloy nipples. Would be about $500. (cheaper than crossmax) Those would be killer. I got a set of wheels built at Universalcycles.com, and I love them.

Or...just pick up some DT XR1540 wheels.

You can't go wrong with Crossmax wheels on lighter bikes, but the DT's would be a bit lighter.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Rim advice

I intend to follow your advice. Just two more questions, since the xc expert has LX hydraulic brakes, do I need something called a conversion adapter. Something having to do with centerlock hubs? Also, what are the benefits and how do I go about setting up UST tubeless, perhaps I should also ask about tires, because everyone seems to think the bulldog are nogo.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    You could just get some 6 bolt rotors to use with the LX hydro's. They'll work fine.

I don't particularly like Hutch tires. I love Kenda Nevegal's. I'm on my second set of 2.35's.

You can also get Crossmax wheels in centerlock, me thinks.