mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Just built my first Jamis

I've been riding a built up 1998 Supergo Access for the last 9 years. Well that bike was really wearing out so I decided to build a new bike. I was looking for something to take the edge off the trail so I bought a Jamis Dakota Elite frame because of its carbon seat stays. I also put a Cane Creek Thudbuster on. Let me just say that I love this bike. It performs great and is comfortable also. Here are some pics. I need to get some outdoor shots but it is always dark by the time I get home from work, maybe this weekend I can.

mtbr member
    Congrat's on the build. You should give us a parts rundown that you built it up with.

mtbr member
    very nice. Go out there and get it dirty

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Good job.You running lizard skins on your forks. how they perform?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I haven't had a chance to get out on the trail because they are still extremely wet and muddy (don't wanto to tear up the trail) so I can' t really say how well the lizard skins fork boots work. I have ridden on the road and can tell you that they don't interfere with suspension action at all, I originally though that might be a problem. I'm from the old school, so I don't like the thought of running a fork without boots.

As far as the components they are a mixture of stuff I got deals on and stuff I had laying around. This is my first bike with discs, so I thought I would go mechanical to keep it simple. Might someday upgrade to hydraulic if I feel the extra expense is worth it.

Frame: 2006 Dakota Elite
    Fork: 2005 Skareb Super 100 with remote lockout
    Handlebars: Easton CT2
    Stem: Titec (not sure the model)
    Brakes: Avid speel dial 7 levers and Tektro IO calipers these suprisingly work
    awesome when used with the Avid levers, the Tektro levers I have are junk
    Shifters: Deore XT
    Front Derailleur: XTR 952
    Rear Derailleur: LX
    Cranks: XTR 952 with Race Face Team rings 46, 34, 24
    Pedals: Welgo SPD
    Wheels: WTB Speeddisc XC-these are a lot heavier than advertised, very dissapointing
    Seatpost: Cane Creek Thudbuster ST
    Saddle: WTB Speed V-kind of heavy
    Tires: Trek Big Kahuna (front) Ritchey Z-Max (rear)

The bike is a little heavy at 26.6 lbs. That is mainly because of the seatpost (470g!), saddle and wheels. Also the frame is a little heavy at 4 pounds, this seems like a lot for a triple butted frame with carbon stays. But hopefully it is heavier because it is super strong!

IMBA Supporter
    Apr 2006
    Nice set up. My wife rides a 2007 Dakota Comp. It is a very nice bike.

I ride a Jamis Dakar XCR most of the time. Have a Jamis Dragon Hardtail as a backup bike.