Thread: Jamis XLT?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Jamis XLT?

I am in the market for a full suspension mountain bike. I have been looking into getting a Jamis Dakar XLT my friend has one and loves it. Looking for a bike for all purpose use. trails, climbing, downhill descents, small jumps ext. This will be my first real mountain bike other then the Wally World Special I ride at the moment. I am 5'8" with a 30" inseam and my weight is about 190. What frame size should I get in the XLT. I was thinking 17" would that be the best size for me? Let me know. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    You've done your homework. That's the right bike for your description and the right size for your inseam.

See if you can test ride one in your size to make certain.

I'm 6'1.5" and ~34" inseam.

I ride a 19".

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Awesome I am going to rent a 17" XLT this labor day weekend hopefully from cactus bikes in Phoenix. I am going with my friend and I think he has a 19" 2005 XLT. Should be fun.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    This is what another mtbr.com member had to say.

member: fach

I have the XLT w/ a 17'' frame. I'm 5'11 and I feel it is slightly too large for me. My suggestion would be to try both the 15'' and 17'' if you have the chance.

Now I am somewhat confused

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hey, I ride an 15" XLT and I am 5'7" and weigh 150lbs and it feels very comfortable for me. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I am 5"9" or so and have around 30" inseam and the 17 fits well!! good choice too!!

Singletrack Addict!!!
    I'm 6' and have a 19'' with a 100mm stem, still feels kinda tight....

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006
    I'm 6'1" with a 33" inseam and I ride a 19" frame. I would definitely try them both out, but chances are you will like the 17" more.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I ride an XLT 3.0 size 17 and I'm 5' 7"...suits just fine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Geometry on the XLT is slightly different from my 05 XC - but i'm about 5'9", 180, with 30" inseam... and i ride a 19", with 120mm stem. It's a little big, technically, but feels great to me. I rode a friend's 17" Dakar for a few miles and it felt tiny, like I was squeezed into it. Try out both if you can, but you've just gotta go with what feels right...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azrockndirt
    I am in the market for a full suspension mountain bike. I have been looking into getting a Jamis Dakar XLT my friend has one and loves it. Looking for a bike for all purpose use. trails, climbing, downhill descents, small jumps ext. This will be my first real mountain bike other then the Wally World Special I ride at the moment. I am 5'8" with a 30" inseam and my weight is about 190. What frame size should I get in the XLT. I was thinking 17" would that be the best size for me? Let me know. Thanks
    I have a 2004 XLT 1.0 that I bought new a year ago. It too was my first FS bike and I do like it. I am 6'1" with a 33" inseem and I ride a 19" (w/ 100mm stem)... I sized myself strictly by top tube size. BTW: I emailed jamis and they told me to get 21"... That would have been WAY to big....

The GOOD: tough bike, cheap, capable, responds beautifully when you really push it.Can easily afford to upgrade as needed due to the price (i paid about $350 for the frame/shock).

The BAD: it is a little heavy, the stock rear shock on teh XLT 1 is a swinger 3way, which I am beginning to dislike because it is a little to simple and lacks the sir volume to make the bike really go.... Climbing steep trail is impacted by slack head tube angle, but the DH rips! A little slow on tight twisty rolling/flat single track.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    After reading all the replies I think the 17" will be the right size frame. If I went with a new 2008 XAM would the 17" frame still be the right one? I was at the local bike shop and they told me I would be just right on the 17" XLT but I could also ride a XAM in 19" what would be the be the difference other than stand over height between the XLT and the XAM? What are the benefits of a larger frame size compared to a slightly smaller one?

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Duuno what kind of price you're getting on it, but looks like you can get a pretty good deal on the frame, and I imagine, the whole bike as well.

Looks like a nice piece of kit...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkley
    Duuno what kind of price you're getting on it, but looks like you can get a pretty good deal on the frame, and I imagine, the whole bike as well.

Looks like a nice piece of kit...

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Looks like a good deal price-wise, and it looks like a nice bike. Considered buying one myself (actually I was gonna buy just the frame)

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    After reading all the replies I think the 17" will be the right size frame. If I went with a new 2008 XAM would the 17" frame still be the right one? I was at the local bike shop and they told me I would be just right on the 17" XLT but I could also ride a XAM in 19" what would be the be the difference other than stand over height between the XLT and the XAM? What are the benefits of a larger frame size compared to a slightly smaller one?
    'Sounds like your LBS is inhabited by a bunch of nUmB nUtZ. You need to be on the right size bike no matter what the jewell clearance. The BB to saddle angle and distance is important as is the top tube length.

I'm almost 6'2" and I ride a 19". You should be on a 17" or smaller. If you're gonna ride XC, then you "may" feel more comfy on a 19" XLT, but if you were intending to XC then you wouldn't be looking at the XLT to begin with, and a 17" Dakar XC or XCR would have the more "stretched out" geo in the 17" size that you would still require.

Hopefully your LBS is better at wrenching on bikes than they are at trying to slip you the wrong size '07 XAM to get rid of it so they can bring in the new '08 6" travel bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'm 5'9, 30" inseam, 190lbs. '07 17" XLT is what I just bought today. Fits like a glove. I rode everything from a 15" to a 19" on roads, off curbs, down trails, up hills, over logs/drops and the 17 is perfect. You can fine tune your fit with stem/bar changes, but IMO the 17 should be your size.