Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

New question here. Jamis XLT 1.0 Frame '05

I'm looking for a XC/all mountain frame for next season. I weigh in at 200lb. I have no experience with Jamis, will the
    Jamis XLT 1.0 Frame '05 do the job for me you think? I see Jenson is having a sale on this and another Jamis frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Oh come on, if noone has any experience with this frame I will not know if 400 dollars is a good price. On the other hand, I haven't read any negative experiences with Jamis in general. If this is true for all of their frames I guess 400 is an ok price....

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006

Be patient...

You didn't even wait a whole day for any replies. Chill out. There are plenty of people on this forum who would be happy to answer any of your questions, but it's not like they all check mtbr on their blackberries.

As far as the XLT goes, I would say that my situation is a pretty good comparison for you. I only have room for one bike (someday I will have many...perhaps an entire room devoted to bikes, but until then...) I am ~200lbs, and I ride an XLT for XC/AM, although I am more on the aggro XC side of the fence. I previously had a Jamis Dakar XC Expert (which besides the carbon stays, kinesium alloy and shock) is identical to the "other" Jamis you referred to on Jenson's website. It was a great bike, but with room for only one bike, I needed something that could handle any trail I was willing to point it down or up for that matter.

The XC has 90mm (a little over 3") of travel in the back, and is optimal with a 100mm (4") travel fork. It is great for XC.

The XLT has 130mm (5") in front and back and a slightly more slack headtube angle, giving it a more "choppered" look.

Initially, I was really worried that because of the travel upgrade in the front and the headtube angle difference when I was making the decision to go with the XLT. More slack headtube angle and more travel (actually more axle to race height) have the combined effect of making it slightly harder to climb steep stuff because the bike has an increased tendency to wheelie. In actuality, it isn't that big of a deal at all, and it is easily overcome by a little technique. The flipside to the headtube/travel issue is that you gain TONS of downhill stability and confidence. Many people argue that it isn't that big of a deal, but having owned and ridden both bikes, I felt like the XC was twitchy on the descents, and that made me a little uneasy. On the XLT, I bomb the hills with no worries.

The XLT does weigh more than the XC, probably about a pound and a half. But for me in the 200lb range, it's not like I am out looking for all titanium hardware if you catch my drift. Shaving 10lbs off of my gut is more of what I need.

I ride my XLT with an rp23, which in my opinion is a far superior shock to the float R, and anything else for my riding style. Chelboed loves his Vanilla, and others don't have a problem with the float R. It is a matter of personal opinion.

As far as the price goes...Jenson is a pretty good deal, but you could find better. If you can hang out for a month or two, prices will probably drop. I bought my frame on ebay with out a shock for $170, but I paid up. You can find them on ebay pretty often these days, for less than what you found on Jenson, as well as the XAM and XCR. Were I you, I would wait it out and check ebay often.

Pick up a Jamis and you won't be disappointed. I LOVE my XLT. My pops rides a specialized stumpy expert and I would ride my bike ANY DAY OF THE WEEK over his.

mtbr member

XLT is a solid bike...

I ride an '04 19" XLT 1.0 with a swinger 3 way rear shock. I'm about 185lbs dressed and about 6'1". I have come to realize that this shock is the weak link in the whole system. I am looking at upgrading just as the previous poster did....

Climbing is not this bikes best trait. But I live in the Front Range of Colorado and every ride starts with a 1500 foot climb right out of the car. To be fair, I do not have an adjustable travel front fork, which would be great for this bike.

It steers a little slow on flat, tight twisty single track, but not so badly that you won't enjoy riding.

But, when the going gets rough... man this bike shines... and downhill, it rocks!

With the exception of the the rear shock, I like the bike a lot.

My frame/shock/HS/Frt derail was ~$330 in August of '06 from ebay. So I have no idea what a "good" deal on these things means. For me, this was a fantastically cost effective way to get my first FS bike (built up with parts stolen form my hardtail).

The things that make this bike shine is a good, stiff 130mm front fork (i have a '06 minute 3) and tubeless wheels with fat (2.35 fr/2.2 rear) rubber. Mine is built with XT/XTR and lighter XC-oriented parts, 6" hayes hydro brakes (7-8" front rotor is next).

Just be mindful of the the rear shock. It might be well worth it for you to get the next level up so you can have a better rear shock.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanx for the input guys. This was really helpfull. I won't be needing the frame before next spring or summer so I have plenty of time to do some nice.price searching on ebay and other online stores. Besides ebay and Jenson, are there any other online stores that sell Jamis frames?

Paste eater
    I have a used 05 20th aniv. XLT for sale 4 1/2 that. Used one season.

mtbr member

One more consideration....

Quote Originally Posted by yogidave
    I ride an '04 19" XLT 1.0 with a swinger 3 way rear shock. I'm about 185lbs dressed and about 6'1". I have come to realize that this shock is the weak link in the whole system. I am looking at upgrading just as the previous poster did....

Climbing is not this bikes best trait. But I live in the Front Range of Colorado and every ride starts with a 1500 foot climb right out of the car. To be fair, I do not have an adjustable travel front fork, which would be great for this bike.

It steers a little slow on flat, tight twisty single track, but not so badly that you won't enjoy riding.

But, when the going gets rough... man this bike shines... and downhill, it rocks!

With the exception of the the rear shock, I like the bike a lot.

My frame/shock/HS/Frt derail was ~$330 in August of '06 from ebay. So I have no idea what a "good" deal on these things means. For me, this was a fantastically cost effective way to get my first FS bike (built up with parts stolen form my hardtail).

The things that make this bike shine is a good, stiff 130mm front fork (i have a '06 minute 3) and tubeless wheels with fat (2.35 fr/2.2 rear) rubber. Mine is built with XT/XTR and lighter XC-oriented parts, 6" hayes hydro brakes (7-8" front rotor is next).

Just be mindful of the the rear shock. It might be well worth it for you to get the next level up so you can have a better rear shock.
    One thing that this bike is prone to is brake jacking. In other words, when you use the rear brake, the design of the suspension causes the rear end to stiffen up under load. This becomes a problem when it's bumpy and you need to slow down and over technical, rocky sections where you may be in need of rear brakes. The bike becomes rather harsh in this situation.

There is no way around this on this frame, no matter what shock you use. It is a flaw inherent in the Faux-Bar design. Apparently, when you move the rear pivot above the chainstay to avoid paying Specialized $$ for Horst-link patent infringement (as Jamis does), you get this nasty little side effect. It's not going to crash you, but you will notice it and it is a downside. But, if it is not worth $1000 more for a 5" true 4-bar/Horst link bike like a Titus Motolite or Chumba XCL, then get the XLT.

I didn't know this at the time, but understand the short comings in this area. So, if it wasn't for the low end Swinger 3 way shock and the brake jack, I'd be totally fine with it.

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006
    Rbikes.com and blueskycycling.com occasionally have them. Like I said before, I would stick to ebay.

mtbr member

i've got an XLT to sell

tnk666,

I just "traded up" from a 19" 2004 XLT to an '07 Titus Motolite a month ago, and still have my XLT frame, Cane Creek headset, and '04 Fox Talas RLC fork to sell (need to recoup some money to offset the dough I shelled out for the Titus). I upgraded the shock from the stock Fox TALAS to RP3, and big improvement, as far as being able to dial in the level of propedal for climbs, etc. For a 5" frame, you can't go better than the Jamis for the price. Been a great frame for the past 3 years, just always wanted to jump to that next level for a high-end frame. Haven't gotten around to posting it on craigslist or ebay yet, so if interested, PM me and I can get you some more info.
    Hey, I didn't see that rock there."

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind
    I have a used 05 20th aniv. XLT for sale 4 1/2 that. Used one season.
    Your PM inbox is full. 17,5" is a bit small as I'm 180cm tall I think i need 19"
    But thanx for the offer mate. Cheers

Former Bike Wrench
    I have a 2005 XLT and here is my input
    -The frame is solid and actually not excessively heavy. The heft of the complete bike is way more in the components. My XLT is 30lbs even with some wise but not excessive $$$ choices of components.
    -The Float R sucks in my opinion, I replaced it after a couple months. I would upgrade to an adjustable platform shock (which like most Faux-Bar frames, this bike really benefits from). I experimented with both a coil (Romic) and a X-Fusion 02PVA and have finally settled on the X-Fusion with its higher volume air canister (more linear spring) and four position platform dampening adjustment.
    -All single pivot and faux bar designs have brake jack unless they use a floating caliper design/add on. Its an inherited in the design...Trek (at least 2007 and earlier), Fisher, Santa Cruz Heckler/Superlight, and many more suffer from this so its not exclusive to Jamis.

For reference, I'm 6' and 225lbs and ride aggressive trail/AM

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I read in the norwegian mtb forums at terrengsykkel.no that 19" is to big for me, I'm 180cm tall. I ride a 19" hardtail and that fits me perfectly for my style of riding. Is that true? Does softtails seem bigger than the exact same size as hardtails? If so, maybe the 17,5" may fit me afterall...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

... and if we just ... Good deal, you think?

I saw this:http://cgi.ebay.com/jamis-dakar-xlt-...QQcmdZViewItem on ebay. I've been in contact with the seller and he says that I can get it shipped to Norway if I caugh up 300 bucks for the frame. That sound like a sweet deal as the frame is as good as new and a 2006 model. What do other jamis owners think? I need the input. Cheers...

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006
    Not a bad deal, but I wouldn't buy it. First of all, a few ebay tips:

1. Never buy from someone who has no feedback or negative feedback, no matter how good the deal is. Some people may disagree w/me here, but if you don't want to get stiffed, it is a good policy to follow.

2. Don't ask a seller to end it early for you. It is very likely that in most cases, you can get a better deal just by waiting until the last few minutes of the auction to bid. The key to this tip is to have a predetermined limit set so that you don't spend more than you want to. If it exceeds your limit, walk away, another will come up soon.

I wouldn't buy from someone who has no feedback. Patience young grasshopper. Your frame will find you when the time is right.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by tnk666
    I read in the norwegian mtb forums at terrengsykkel.no that 19" is to big for me, I'm 180cm tall. I ride a 19" hardtail and that fits me perfectly for my style of riding. Is that true? Does softtails seem bigger than the exact same size as hardtails? If so, maybe the 17,5" may fit me afterall...

If my math is correct, 180cm= ~5'9ft. that's what I am so I would get the 17.5 personally. And I'm not just saying tha b/c I have a 17.5 for sale. I think others will agree with me.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    If you go to kymba.org, under forums and classifieds, you can find a very nice speced Jamis xlt with a fox fork for 1,200 dollars. He said it's over a 2,500 dollar build. It's a 19inch frame. He can probably put it up on ebay for you with a buy it now price or something. He talked like he's parted bikes out on ebay before so I don't see a problem. If he doesn't sell it whole he's going to part the bike out so if you only want the frame or fork that would probably work to. I hope this helped. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    As Matamua said...I love my Vanilla.

I'm 6'1.5" and weigh around 195-200lbs. I have a 34" inseam and ride a 19" frame. I can totally see the benefit of a platform shock as many have stated. In a perfect world, I'd say that the DHX Coil would work out best for me but I have had problems with my riding style and air chambers. When doing larger jumps and drops, the air shocks that I have used have lost air due to impact. The DHX Coil still has a small air chamber for bottom-out resistance and I didn't want to add the extra headache as well as even more weight over the Vanilla therefore I chose the Vanilla in all its simplicity with rebound and preload settings. It has a factory "middle-of-the-road" platform setting that seems to work VERY well for my riding style. The MCU bottom-out bumper is great. The shock itself is very smooth in all types of terrain.

The frame is a good choice for All Mountain riding.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by millsm
    tnk666,

I just "traded up" from a 19" 2004 XLT to an '07 Titus Motolite a month ago, and still have my XLT frame, Cane Creek headset, and '04 Fox Talas RLC fork to sell (need to recoup some money to offset the dough I shelled out for the Titus). I upgraded the shock from the stock Fox TALAS to RP3, and big improvement, as far as being able to dial in the level of propedal for climbs, etc. For a 5" frame, you can't go better than the Jamis for the price. Been a great frame for the past 3 years, just always wanted to jump to that next level for a high-end frame. Haven't gotten around to posting it on craigslist or ebay yet, so if interested, PM me and I can get you some more info.

Funny, that's what i did too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod
    If you go to kymba.org, under forums and classifieds, you can find a very nice speced Jamis xlt with a fox fork for 1,200 dollars. He said it's over a 2,500 dollar build. It's a 19inch frame. He can probably put it up on ebay for you with a buy it now price or something. He talked like he's parted bikes out on ebay before so I don't see a problem. If he doesn't sell it whole he's going to part the bike out so if you only want the frame or fork that would probably work to. I hope this helped. Good luck.
    I got the frame from him. Its with a Manitou Swinger 4-way rear shock. I wont be building the bike until the summer so I have lots of time to look for parts I might need. Do you guys think I should change the rear shock to the RP3?

And another thing, where can I get new bearings for the swingarm, or are these standard so I might find them in the local hardware shop?

Yet another thing; whats the size of the crank on the 05' XLT 2.0? It came without the crank cause I want a new one instead of something used.

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006
    I'd get the Rp23 and the bearings from enduroseals.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by matamua
    I'd get the Rp23 and the bearings from enduroseals.com
    enduroseals site wouldn't come up...

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Axel length

Whats the axel length on the 05 xlt 2.0? I need a new bottom bracket and I don't have the old one...

mtbr member
    I think you're referring to the bottom bracket spindle, not the axle. In that case, any of your standard 68/73mm bottom brackets should fit it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Ok thanks.
    Last edited by tnk666; 01-02-2008 at 09:59 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast