mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Jamis XC comp Rear shock question?

I bought a closeout Jamis 2004 xc Comp in June and love it, however, tonight was a sad ride as my fox float R got stuck down. Has anyone had any luck fixing this themselves. I have read stories of people waiting months for there shock to get fixed. By that time the rest of the mtb season for me will be over! So, my next question is if it will take that long, does anyone know or recommend a descent cheep replacement shock I could pick up on ebay or something that could fill in for the rest of the next month or so until the other one gets fixed (fox vanilla coil over or something possibly). I am relativally new to mtbing so the whole shock sizing issue is confusing as of now. What size shock would I need to get? and how do I know what shocks are compatible (other brands etc).? Sorry for all of the questions, but if someone would be kind enough to help me out I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006
    If I remember correctly, the manual for the Float R discusses this problem. If you plan on doing anything yourself, read up well before you touch it, and LET OUT ALL OF THE AIR.

I think I recall seeing the procedure as follows - ( I am not positive, so if you are uncomfortable with this, or can't find your manual, take it to a shop)

Let all of the air out
    Try and cycle it gently
    If no luck, pump it up to 300 psi (but do not exceed)
    Cycle the shock
    Reset desired pressure

Being stuck down is a pretty common problem, and your LBS should be familiar with it. Before I'd buy a new shock, I would see if they can fix it for you. It will likely be cheaper.

If you do decide to go with a different shock, you need something that has a 6.5in eye to eye (measurement from the middle of the mounting holes on the ends of the shock) and a 1.5in stroke.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Thanks much, one more quick question?

Thanks for the reply, I took it down to my LBS and they said they could most likely fix it so hopefully I will have it by this next week. I am still somewhat interested in picking up a cheap vanilla coil shock or something on ebay just to have on trips in case this would happen again and that way I could just switch out the shocks so at least I could keep riding until I could get the shock to the bike shop back home. You take a trip out riding for a weekend and the shock gets stuck down on the first ride and you pretty much just wasted a trip. So I need a 6.5 eye to eye with a 1.5 inch stroke. Will all fox shocks or other shocks for that matter be compatible with my hardware or does fox or other companies make the eyes of their shocks different sizes that fit different bushings or hardware?

mtbr member
    The only difference you may see in a 6.5x1.5 shock of different companies is a different eyelet hole size. I bought a Rock Shox rear shock for my Dakar and had to buy all new mounting hardware.

I think if you stick with a fox shock however then you should be fine with re-using your mounting hardware.

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006
    The only thing that will be different is the reducers (spacers), and possibly the diameter inside the spacers which would potentially cause problems with your hardware. If you are looking to buy a cheap shock off of eBay, you probably will have to go to a dealer to order reducers to fit your bike because they will more than likely not come with your shock.