mtbr member

Jamis Warranty/Communication Issue

Has anyone else had trouble with Jamis regarding warranty issues? I bought a new 2004 Dakar in early 2005, and it proved to be a good XC bike- I even posted a good review here on MTBR. I liked everything but the pedals and the paint. In 2006 I bought a new road bike and the Dakar has only seen a couple of hundred miles since then. I read all about the cracking problems on the ’03 to ’05 Dakars here on the board, but thought I’d gotten lucky. A couple of weeks ago I decided to clean it and tried to wipe a streak off the head tube 3 times before I realized it was a crack.

Unfortunately, I don’t live anywhere near a Jamis dealer. There’s one 45 minutes in one direction by car, and 45 minutes in the other. I have one LBS 3 minutes from here, and two other less than 10 minutes away. Since I’m also having car problems I went to the Jamis web site and filled in one their ‘help’ email forms asking if they would consider letting one of my nearby shops do the work. (I’m assuming it’ll be covered by warranty as this is a known problem.) That was more than two weeks ago and so far, despite the form saying they’d reply within 5 days, they’ve ignored me (and yes, I’ve checked my junk mail folder).

I wouldn’t mind so much borrowing a car and trekking it one of their dealers if that’s the only way, but I find it irritating that they have a rider with one of their bikes that’s broken in a way that just shouldn’t happen, and have chosen to ignore a request for help.

I’m posting a picture of the damage. The crack starts at what appears to be a tool mark and travels down vertically. It’s obviously a factory defect as I’ve never had the headset off, and the tool mark is under the factory coat- which has a tendency to flake off if you look at it wrong.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    To the troll mobile, away...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Sorry to hear about the crack,that sucks.I've never had to deal with Jamis personnally,but one of the biggest reasons my LBS went with them was because of their great C.S. Hopefully its just a minor over look on their part and they take care of you asap.Good luck and keep us updated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Hey California L33...

Dave from Jamis here. Sorry to hear about your frame...and the lack of response from your web inquiry. The guys that normally answer the emails are backed up due to the fact they've been overseas for a few weeks.

Please contact Dru in our warranty department and he'll be able to help you get it taken care of. I've already given him a heads-up to keep an eye out.

warranty@jamisbikes.com

Normally you need to go through your local dealer, but talk to Dru and see what he can come up with for you.

Sorry for the delay.

Best,
    Dave

One Gear
    Give them some time to get it right. The Jamis warranty department f'n ROCKS!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Best company I have seen when it comes to warranty...

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Warranty Help

Hello California,

This is Craig (Skipp) I get all of the emails tht come to the website that are MTB based. I have not gotten any emails form you. I check them a few times a day and respond, something must have gone wrong. I am sorry to hear that you thought we ignored you, but I can promise you that was NOT the case.

You have the warranty email address and I am sure they will take care of you. Like I said I am out of the country right now but I am checking emails.

As I said warranty will help you out.

sk!p

Quote Originally Posted by batts65
    Best company I have seen when it comes to warranty...
    ]
    Craig "Skippy" Hoyt

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip
    Hello California,

This is Craig (Skipp) I get all of the emails tht come to the website that are MTB based. I have not gotten any emails form you. I check them a few times a day and respond, something must have gone wrong. I am sorry to hear that you thought we ignored you, but I can promise you that was NOT the case.

You have the warranty email address and I am sure they will take care of you. Like I said I am out of the country right now but I am checking emails.

As I said warranty will help you out.

sk!p
    Skip & Dave;

Thanks for the info and help. I've been plowed at work so haven't had a chance to do much of anything, but will soon. Thanks again.
    To the troll mobile, away...

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

No problem

Califonria,

No problem, please feel free to contact me if you need anything.

You can email me here at MTBR or at Choyt@jamisbikes.com

Thanks
    ]
    Craig "Skippy" Hoyt