Thread: Jamis Trail X2

mtbr member

Jamis Trail X2

Getting back into this after more than ten years and wanting some advice.

I've been shopping around for a starter hard tail and so far it seems to be between a 2013 Scott Aspect 950 and a 2013 Jamis Trail X2.

I was wondering what the general consensus is on the X2? Good bike for a beginner?

I've read that it's geometry isn't the greatest... How would this effect riding?

Any other thoughts or opinions ions?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Save more money and get a 29er. Gt has the karakoram or timberline and Raleigh has the talus 29. As somebody who is just starting you will really appreciate how much nicer the big wheel holds speed and trucks over rocks. $450-$600 would get you a much better bike even disc brakes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    bought my son an x3 this past summer. Overall a nice beginner bike, but pretty heavy as you might expect. A good portion of the weight is in the rims and tires, very heavy tires. The fork is also weak for anyone over 130 pounds or so, but a solid trail bike for the money.

zaiceoperator
    Dec 2011
    I ride Trail X2'08 since May 2008 (about 3000 km avg per year), everything ok, but the fork corroded to death and is rigid now (oh, those Russian mud and winters). As bike's in 21" size, it seems a bit heavy.
    The geo of '13 model is in my opinion much better than it was in '11 and '12 models, it returned to somewhat 'classic' (like before '11); and the geo of '08 model is close to perfect as for me.
    So, yes, Trail X2 is supposed to be a good bike for beginner.
    Last edited by hirviko?; 01-16-2013 at 02:40 AM.

DBI
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I bought one as a beginner bike a little over a year ago. The fork is the weak point, I lost trust in the fork after about two months of riding. Since then, I bought another bike and the Trail x2 is going to get a surly rigid fork for riding around the neighborhood