mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Jamis Sport-brakes upgrade

I've got an '04 Dakar sport. I want to upgrade the V brakes to disk type. I don't know zilch about them (disk brakes).
    I've performed a lot of upgrades--XT crankeset, new wheels (disk-ready Mavic crossfires), tires, complete suspension pivot overhaul, upgrade derailleurs, 9 speed cog, etc.

But, considering that the bike is (new) a $900-1000 bike, I want something within reason.

What would you suggest?
    Also--What would you suggest in terms of hydraulic or manual?

mtbr member
    I prefer manual for ease of maintenance/adjustment, modulation and cost. Avid BB7s have always supplied me with ample stopping ability, so if your wheels have 6 bolt rotor mounts and your fork and frame have a compatible I.S. mount, you're ready to go.
    Scars are like tattoos - only with better memories...

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Yup...make sure you have hubs that will accept a disc rotor. Make sure you have disc tabs on your frame and fork.

I LOVE my Avid Juicy 5's. They are a little pricey though. The benefits of Juicy's over BB's is their power, smooth feel at the lever, auto adjust for wear.

All of that is just icing, though.

I installed a set of BB5's on my friend's bike the other day. I was very impressed with their power and modulation. You can find closeout Avid BB5's for 39.99 per wheel now. They will work with your existing V-Brake levers. Just snag some new cables and you're good to go.

You'll like 'em.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Hey thanks you guys. Great info.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    By the way- i've got a budget Marin Insync fork. Amy suggetions for a decent upgrade?

ay Diablo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnles1
    By the way- i've got a budget Marin Insync fork. Amy suggetions for a decent upgrade?
    What priceing are you looking at, and travel? It seems that budget minded people have liked marzocchi mx comp or pro, and rock shox toras. (they cost around $250)
    "You know me, I'm too lazy to carry a grudge". Sid the Sloth

Carnaval Dominicano
    http://carnaval.com.do/

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    "...they cost around $250-...."

$250. That sounds about right.

Wish I could come out cheaper though.
    The fork I have is ok for my normal XC but Im afraid Im going to blow it up some day. Havent heard particualrly good things about the Insync Marin 323.

Ill check out your suggestions thanks!

ay Diablo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnles1
    "...they cost around $250-...."

$250. That sounds about right.

Wish I could come out cheaper though.
    The fork I have is ok for my normal XC but Im afraid Im going to blow it up some day. Havent heard particualrly good things about the Insync Marin 323.

Ill check out your suggestions thanks!
    If you want cheaper, you could always look to buy one of those two forks used (from ebay, or this site classifieds), but you will have to be willing to service the fork, or pay someone to service it. I've bought a couple of the Marzocchi mx comps from ebay for $100, and are awesome for the price. Just new oil and they are ready to rock.
    "You know me, I'm too lazy to carry a grudge". Sid the Sloth

Carnaval Dominicano
    http://carnaval.com.do/

Ride lots...
    Just my opinion, but go with hydros over mechs. I never understood the "ease of adjustability" argument in favor of mechs. You have to constantly adjust them as the pads wear. Hydros adjust themselves and are easy to install. They are more powerful and not that much more expensive. Cambria bikes has Hayes HFX-9's for $85 each http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=27055

Also, search sites like Cambria, Greenfish Sports, Jenson USA, Wheelworld and Pricepoint for good deals on forks--you can usually find a deal on one of those sites.
    I hope you have a big trunk... 'cuz I'm puttin' my bike in it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Great--thanks!

mtbr member
    You'll see mixed reviews on the Hayes 9's but I think they are a good brake for the price. The only complaint I have about them is that they don't modulate as well as more expensive hydros. To me that is only a real issue on long descents.

That price at Cambria is tough to beat. Keep in mind if you order any disc brakes you'll have to also order the mounting adapters. So factor in an additional $20 for that.