Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Jamis Renegade

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    435

    Jamis Renegade

    Is the Renegade released yet ? I stopped by the dealer in my town and he didn't see any delivery date. I would like to take a look at it. If you have seen it, what are your thoughts?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stemag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    37
    Lifting this thread, anyone riding the renegade expert and want to give a brief review?

    I am thinking of buying one and am curious about how you like it?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Stemag View Post
    Lifting this thread, anyone riding the renegade expert and want to give a brief review?

    I am thinking of buying one and am curious about how you like it?
    I have had a Renegade Expert for about 6 months and I really love it. I got a Kona Rove for gravel riding, but it ended up being too slow for just standard road rides with friends riding straight up road bikes. I decided to get something that leaned a little more toward road on the road-gravel spectrum and the Renegade has been a good choice. I put some 28mm tires on it for all around general use and I can do gravel and standard road rides on it and I switch back to the 35mm tires for the rough stuff and mud. It is comfortable and handles great and absorbs bumps really well. Its a bit heavy, especially the wheels, but I look to upgrade those at some point.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stemag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by ajohnsky View Post
    I have had a Renegade Expert for about 6 months and I really love it. I got a Kona Rove for gravel riding, but it ended up being too slow for just standard road rides with friends riding straight up road bikes. I decided to get something that leaned a little more toward road on the road-gravel spectrum and the Renegade has been a good choice. I put some 28mm tires on it for all around general use and I can do gravel and standard road rides on it and I switch back to the 35mm tires for the rough stuff and mud. It is comfortable and handles great and absorbs bumps really well. Its a bit heavy, especially the wheels, but I look to upgrade those at some point.
    Thanks for the info ajohnsky, seems like a bike for me.
    I want a bike that handles gravelroads and singletrack, but i don´t want it to be heavy and sluggish.

    Is it more a cx or a roadbike? I hope it feels like a real CX?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    27
    I also have an expert (with nicer wheels). It can ride anything. The geometry is not very racy though, though certainly moreso than a straight up touring bike. I guess most like an endurance road bike with clearance for 40mm tires.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stemag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by zmjones View Post
    I also have an expert (with nicer wheels). It can ride anything. The geometry is not very racy though, though certainly moreso than a straight up touring bike. I guess most like an endurance road bike with clearance for 40mm tires.
    Thanks zmjones, that would be my choise to, an expert with wheel upgrade.

    What do you think, is 40mm max in the rear?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Stemag View Post
    Thanks zmjones, that would be my choise to, an expert with wheel upgrade.

    What do you think, is 40mm max in the rear?
    42mm I know will fit. 40 fits with room to spare. you could go larger but would sacrifice mud clearance

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    27

    renegade expert w/ pacenti wheels

    here is mine with schwalbe g-one. ostensibly they are 38mm but they look about the same size as my wtb nanos.


  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    27
    looks like some nice upgrades for the 2017 version

    2017 Jamis Renegade Adventure Bike | Bicycling

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stemag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    37
    the 2017 looks nice

    but now they have a sale on 2016 expert at Evans cycles for 1400 British pound.
    that seems like a to god price to miss.
    But i am a bit unserten what size i should go for: 56 or 58?

    i am 182 cm tall (5,11?) and 90cm inseam (35 7/16 inch?)

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Stemag View Post
    the 2017 looks nice

    but now they have a sale on 2016 expert at Evans cycles for 1400 British pound.
    that seems like a to god price to miss.
    But i am a bit unserten what size i should go for: 56 or 58?

    i am 182 cm tall (5,11?) and 90cm inseam (35 7/16 inch?)
    you've got long legs! i'd go with the 58. i am the same height roughly but have a 32in inseam and ride a 56.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stemag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by zmjones View Post
    you've got long legs! i'd go with the 58. i am the same height roughly but have a 32in inseam and ride a 56.
    Yes i know, too long legs, always have a huge drop.
    i will prob. go with a 58 and maybe a shorter stem and a seatpost with no setback.
    the reach on a 58 is 396 mm and it seems a little too long for me, i have 380 today but that on the other hand feels a little to short.



    thanks for the input.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nubster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5,205
    I'm on the Elite. Great bike. I wish I had the newer version with rear thru axle but I got a great deal on a 2015 demo version so I can't complain. At least the front where it really matters for me is 15mm TA.

    Jamis Renegade-13507160_10154277498064291_6969735445329823587_n.jpg
    Cannondale F29 carbon converted single speed
    Jamis Renegade Elite
    Kona Big Unit SS/full rigid

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    80
    Nice Picture Nubster!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    2
    Does anyone have tubeless 40mm's on the 17mm Alex470 ATD's that fit with a bit of room to spare (mud considered)? Having a tough time finding people who have done it successfully. Mostly concerned with clearance at rear of bottom bracket. Thanks!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    80
    Hi VaGuy,

    Which model Renegade?

    -Jamis Bikes

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    2
    2015 Renegade Expert. Just looking to see if people had tubeless tires nearing or at 40mm that would clear the rear of the bottom bracket without rubbing/very tight tolerances. Thanks!

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    80
    VaGuy,

    Shouldn't be an issue, we run 40's on them all the time. Plenty of clearance on the stays with an MSO 40 on the stock rims.

    -Jamis Bikes

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    27
    has anyone run ~2.1 knobbies on a 27.5" rim?

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1
    Here's my 2016 Renegade Exploit, the 631 Reynolds steel. Built it for commuting and gravel grinding, a great bike. Campa Chorus shifters and rear derailleur & CX11 cranks, Shimano CX70 fd (only top pull road fd I could find...) and WTB i19 rims laced to DT Swiss 350 hubs.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stemag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    37
    I am this close to ordering an Elite, but i am still a little uncertain about what size i should order.
    Like zmjones says i would probably go with an 58 but i am a little worried that it maybe will be to long reach?

    182 cm long and 90 cm in-seam, so i got quite long legs.

    I would really appreciate some advice.
    Last edited by Stemag; 1 Week Ago at 01:08 AM.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nubster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5,205
    I can tell you that the stem on the 58 is stupid long and the 15 degree setback post makes it even worse. I'm 6'2" with a 32" inseam and I got a 58. I had to shorten the stem and get a 0 degree seat post to be able to ride the bike. After that...it was good. But expect to have to change out one or the other or both. You might be ok with the seat post since you have long legs but being that you have a shorter torso you'll almost definitely need to swap the stem.
    Cannondale F29 carbon converted single speed
    Jamis Renegade Elite
    Kona Big Unit SS/full rigid

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stemag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    37

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    I can tell you that the stem on the 58 is stupid long and the 15 degree setback post makes it even worse. I'm 6'2" with a 32" inseam and I got a 58. I had to shorten the stem and get a 0 degree seat post to be able to ride the bike. After that...it was good. But expect to have to change out one or the other or both. You might be ok with the seat post since you have long legs but being that you have a shorter torso you'll almost definitely need to swap the stem.
    Thank you Nubster.
    Yes my plan is to order an 58 and a 90mm stem. Hope thats enough? Dont really want to swap the seatpost since it is so integrated with the saddle. (On the Elite)

Similar Threads

  1. Renegade 2.3 anyone?
    By rakerdeal in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-04-2013, 12:27 PM
  2. Racing Ralph vs Renegade
    By m3bas in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-30-2012, 02:04 PM
  3. Renegade 1.9 vs SB8 CX
    By Alexgonzalezmi in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-22-2012, 07:28 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-04-2011, 06:33 AM
  5. Specialized Renegade
    By crossintopos in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-27-2011, 12:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •