Austin, Texas

Jamis Metamorphosis

Just for kicks, I thought I would post how my bike has changed drastically through the last 5 years. Maybe others have had the same happen with their bikes.

Just about the first day of 2006, my dad and I bought matching 2006 Jamis Dakar Sports'. I had gotten into mountain biking a little over a year before riding a Walmart Mongoose Blackcomb. I thought I had really spent some money on a bike when I dropped that $350 or so. My dad became interested after I talked him into mountain biking around Creede Colorado, and we bought the bikes a few months later. I now have my dad's bike as he won't really mbike unless he is with me, and we traded out a road oriented bike for the Dakar. My wife will ride it. This is my dad's 19" bike. Mine was the same except a 21". It felt amazing coming from the Mongoose.

Unfortunately, there was trouble with mine, which eventually led to Jamis replacing my frame and chainstay with a 2007 XCR Pro at a decent cost. The Fox Float was swapped out for the Fox RP23. Changed the seat to a Terry Fly. Went with Panaracer XC Fire Pro's. Changed the components to mostly Shimano XT. That is "The Tank", the Mongoose that I still have in the background in the old neighborhood.

Unfortunately, I continued to have some problems, and changes continued. Again Jamis has stepped up when needed. At the time of this picture, I had changed the front Manitou Splice to a Rock Shox Recon Gold. Hayes hydraulic brakes have been added, as well as an XT Cassette. I have gone with Racing Ralph tires, and have Neuvation's Mtn Aero Max 20 spoke wheels on, and have been quite impressed.

Just put on a new Easton Carbon Haven. Really looks good and I can't wait to ride it. Just want to say that although there have been problems with the bike through the years, Jamis has always stepped up and worked to remedy the situation. Love this bike, and it keeps getting better.

Anybody have a similar morphing story?
    Last edited by smokehouse4444; 06-24-2011 at 03:23 PM.

Australia = phun
    Sep 2010
    WIsh i had!
    Great story, great wheels.

Do you like the suspension of the xc or the xcr?

Austin, Texas
    The Dakar Sport suspension is decent and somewhat plush. It works well, but for me, at my size, there is no comparison to what I have on now. The RP23 is still considered one of the best shocks out there, and can be set up in a lot of ways. I keep it in the middle "2" position for a firm ride, but still taking those bumps out. The Recon has been great and really soaks up the hits. When I want, I can remote lock-out the Recon, and flip the RP23 to its prorider "lockout", and it is almost like riding a rigid. Almost. Nice options.

Blunt Blazer
    Oct 2010
    I got one for a 09 dakar XAM I. between first and last photo time passed is about 7 months.

The Cassette, brakes, rearshock, FD are stock. everything else is aftermarket.

Austin, Texas
    That is a wicked looking bike! Very nice additions.

usually cranky
    jamis definitely steps up to the plate and makes things right. just wish they wernt going with a maxel now.

Blunt Blazer
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by smokehouse4444 View Post
    That is a wicked looking bike! Very nice additions.
    thanks mane never thought in my whole life that i would own a bike like this lol

Blunt Blazer
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    jamis definitely steps up to the plate and makes things right. just wish they wernt going with a maxel now.
    what for the rear? it could only bring benefits.