banned
    Nov 2011

Jamis Komodo II.....???

Is this bike any good for the DJ's/street. aggressive trail riding?

I am looking at a '10 Jamis Komodo II for the DJ's/street and still be able to aggressively pedal the trails. Thus the reason sticking with a geared HT, not SS.

Does anyone have some riding experience with one of these steeds? Looking forward to getting rider feedback on this bike.

I am always hearing about the '09 Dakar's and Bam's chainstays & drop outs breaking, but never heard of any of these Komodo's breaking.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Perfect description for it, Bonsai. The Komodo is versatile. I've had my '05 Komodo frame since '06 and abused it plenty. The Komodo is one of my favorite hardtails on the market. The geo fits me well, and it's burly and tough.

All companies will have frame breakage. I've had an XLT (dual suspension ) break on me. I have a '10 Parker and it's held up to some pretty impressive abuse from my big ol' butt.

But...you won't hear of broken Komodo's. They're just overbuilt in a good way. I even have a 1998 Komodo that I still ride.

Take the plunge, man. You'll like it.
    I get my boards at Lux-RC.com

banned
    Nov 2011
    Thanks chelboed for your solid feedback. I was actually going to get a '07 Komodo (yellow & black frame) a couple years ago, and ended up just spending the money on building up my sons FR bike so he could go big, and getting a Totem for my big rig. I am still kickin my rear-end for not getting it, though by not doing so, I did expand my sons freeriding shredding, so I am not being too hard...LOL.

I have never heard anything negative about the Komodos, and definitely have not heard anything about breakage, but like ya said, breakage does happen. But I see & hear of breakage of those Jamis bikes mentioned above when they are throwing them off ledge drops or big jumps that these bikes were not designed or disciplined for...LOL.

When I saw the 1.5b headtube, I was stoked already, 'cause all my steeds have 1.5 headtube's and built burly.

Thanks again for your solid feedback! Ride on bro!

On-On!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    2005 Jamis Komodo - Pedal Room

The 2007 was the same as my 2005 except for a larger diameter ST. It's a really capable platform to build from. I've had mine set up anywhere from a 26# trail bike to a 34# freeride hardtail. The new style frame is really similar except for the ISCG, bigger HT and rifled TT. I'd like to snag a new style frame and build it up a s a FRHT. My '05 is settled in as an AMHT at the moment.

You can't go wrong fo sho!
    Last edited by chelboed; 01-27-2012 at 01:10 PM.
    I get my boards at Lux-RC.com