mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Which Jamis hardtail to buy?

Looking at 2 used bikes in similiar, very lightly used condition. Both are very clean, well-maintained.

05' Dakota XC - $475 (maybe a little wiggle room?)

09' Dragon Comp - $600 firm

Components are pretty close. Just wondering if anything jumps out otherwise. Reviews of the Dakota seem really good.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Specs for reference:

2005 Jamis Dakota XC - BikePedia

2009 Jamis Dragon Comp - BikePedia

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I say Dragon, hands down. It's much newer and has better specs. Plus, steel rides SO much better than aluminum. I wouldn't ever go back to an aluminum frame. Might would try a carbon frame, mainly out of curiosity and to reduce weight. But the ride on the Dragon is amazing. I have a 2011 and love it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks for the feedback, Mayberry. I was thinking they were both steel though, no?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Actually, I'm an idiot, it seems. I thought the Dragon was the only steel frame by Jamis. You're correct. I'd still go with the Dragon, though. It's 4 yrs newer, has an air shock instead of a coil shock and has hydraulic brakes instead of mechanical disc brakes. The Dragon looks like a better buy to me. I would try to get it for less, though. Bicycle Blue book says it's worth $450-$500. Where are you located?

2009 Jamis Dragon Comp - New and Used Bike Value

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    It's basically like new, and the guy has turned down lesser offers, he's firm on the price. It's $1200-1500 for something new/similiar, and new will be in this condition a month or two from now after a few good trail rides, so... Only downside is that these are 26ers. I was kinda hoping for a 29er, but...
    2013 Scott Scale 960 for $1250 and Cannondale SL1 Trail for $1400 are some LBS leftovers I had considered. I just have a real hard time justifying 2x the price for the 29" wheels.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Honestly, I'd either go with the Scott Scale or find a local Jamis dealer. Maybe they have a Dragon 29er leftover to sell you. That's how I got mine a few years ago. Last year's model and I got it for 35% off msrp, brand new with a warranty. If you want 29" wheels, you won't be satisfied if you get 26". The rollover ability and the rolling speed alone make it a completely different ride. I'll personally never go back to a 26" bike. Scotts are nice and are known to be very light and to have good component specs for the money. Having a local bike shop set up the bike for you and provide service and warranty repairs(if needed) is worth the extra money, in my opinion. Plus, no matter how good the contition is on the Dragon.....it's still a 5 yr old bike. Dust in a garage does as much, or more, damage than riding the bike. Just my two cents.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Here you go, for comparison. Here is a 3 yr newer bike, brand new in the box, with warranty, and a better spec list, better fork and lighter frame, and it's selling for 52% lower than msrp in 2012. There's no way a used bike with no warranty should sell at a higher price. Plus, this is a MUCH nicer bike. It's actually a hell of a buy. I'd consider this one. The brushed aluminum color looks sweet.

Jamis Dakota D29 Race Mountain Bike 2012 > Complete Bikes > Mountain Bikes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    LOL, I'm on the Jenson site almost daily. Had my eye on that one at one point myself. Thanks for all the feedback and putting some good thoughts into my head

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I ended up buying the 09' Dragon Comp. The shop where it was bought new was on my way home so I dropped it off for a tuneup. The guy was really cool and offered to extend their lifetime free tuneup deal to me, as the bike was barely used by the original owner. The bike also came with a set of $100 platform pedals. I've got no use for them but can get $50 back selling them on here or Craigslist.
    I've ridden it twice now and am very happy with it. The SLX/XT drivetrain is super-smooth, the Shimano brakes and RockShox fork are really nice, too.
    I'm going to try my first race this coming weekend.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Good choice. The Dragons are great. I have a Dragon pro team 2009. Great bike