mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Jamis Dragon wheel size shoot-out 26 vs. 27.5 vs. 29

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    2013 will be the TWENTIETH model year for the Jamis Dragon! 100% steel since 1993. 2012 is the Year of the Dragon in the ancient Chinese calendar...we couldn't agree more....The Dragon is a creature of myth and legend. A symbol of good fortune and sign of intense power, the Oriental Dragon is regarded as a divine beast. In Eastern philosophy, the Dragon is said to be a deliverer of good fortune and a master of authority. Therefore, those born in Dragon years are to be honored and respected. Dragon 650. Born in the Year of the Dragon.

dwt
    mtbr member
    I love my B2.

Which, according to MBA, makes me an "early adopter of a design [but] betting on a dark horse.."

Well, I hope not. My gut (and my bet) tells me that 650b has a big future in trail, AM, and enduro bikes. As the travel goes up, the middle size wheel makes more sense than 29".

26" looks like it will be reserved only to the gnarliest FR and DH uses.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Eagerly waiting for my 650B Dragon to arrive. Ordered a couple of weeks ago and was told late Feb, early March!?!?! Ugh. That's what I get for supporting the LBS instead of ordering online. Asked him to back order it so maybe one pops up before that. Fingers crossed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I'm getting sick of all of these 29'er and 650b XC bikes. I want someone to come out with a really good All Mountain hardtail 650b. The Kona Honzo is really cool, but for my slow trials'y tech trails...I think it'd just be too cumbersome. I'm thinking the 650b would be really PIMP!
    I get my boards at Lux-RC.com

JRR
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Well I rode a 650 dragon and the dakar the other day and can say both were great in both platforms.Im 6'1 and been on all platforms of 29ers for the past 7 years and the occasional 26er to double check my thoughts and I can ride both , the 650b is in my future if companys will support it.Both bikes rode very nice the dakar was really a surprise,Im used to 5 inch 29ers that roll over stuff good but handle like well a bus.The 5 inch 650b rolled over stuff as well but was nimble and fun to ride and still climbed way better than 5Inch 29er.My race type bike is 29er carbon and the 853 dragon rode sweet fast and fun insteed of fast and serious

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

jamis fan x3

Have a '98 dragon & '05 xc pro + cruiser/sure hope the brande keeps up their innovative ways: no cookie cutters w/Jamis.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Best article I've ever read on the wheel debate.

Two things that I liked the most about the article: 1) They seem to be very unbiased. 2) They admit that rider experience plays a large role in speed of the bike. This has virtually disappeared and overshadowed by wheel size only in all the other articles and reviews I've read. Maybe I'm misinterpretting it but it sure sounds like they are trying to say that each bike has a noticeable advantage over the other depending on terrain and rider skill....not this one is God, that one is Clod for every situation like most other articles seem to conclude to.