mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Jamis Dragon 650B

My LBS has a new 2012 Dragon 650B for $1350. MSRP is $2700. I'm kinda new to mtbing, and don't have my own bike. This would be first MTB. Hesitant to spend $1300 on my first mtb but the deal appears too good to pass up even if I am a little hesitant to spend $1350on my first MTB. What do you all think? Am I better off getting better on the bike I am borrowing, an older Trek 4300, or just bite the bullet and drop some money on this thing? Or just buy something less expensive, new or used? I just don't want to be kicking myself come the time when I want to upgrade and I can't find as good of a deal.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    that's a really nice bike, leaps and bounds better than an entry level trek. The fork, wheel set, frame, and components are very good. If I found one for that price, I'd buy it up now! If that bike fits your body, get it. Hardtails are great to learn on as well. Where is this bike shop at?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Jamis Dragon 650B

Quote Originally Posted by ptkevin View Post
    that's a really nice bike, leaps and bounds better than an entry level trek. The fork, wheel set, frame, and components are very good. If I found one for that price, I'd buy it up now! If that bike fits your body, get it. Hardtails are great to learn on as well. Where is this bike shop at?
    Thanks for the input. The more I think about it, the more I should just suck it up and do it. It's a little more than I was hoping to spend, but, will hopefully cure the upgrade urge come the time I want to upgrade another bike of lower spec.

As far as where is the shop, I'll tell ya'll when I have the bike in my possession, or decide fully not to buy it.

Geaux ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by bikethenbeer View Post
    I just don't want to be kicking myself come the time when I want to upgrade and I can't find as good of a deal.
    THIS. That's a good price on a great bike, pull the trigger already!
    -'08 Jamis Dragon Comp
    "Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary…that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Buy it! It's a great bike and will do you right for years. That's a killer deal.

- from a very satisfied owner of a 650b Dragon -

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Jamis Dragon 650B

Quote Originally Posted by Torpor View Post
    Buy it! It's a great bike and will do you right for years. That's a killer deal.

- from a very satisfied owner of a 650b Dragon -
    What size are you running? And what height/inseam/body type are you?
    The bike is a 19", now I'm thinking it is too big. I have short legs, long Torso. 5'11". Stand over is 32.5 and very tight for me. My inseam is about 31. I wear 32 dress pants, 30 jeans. Now I know stand over isn't end all be all, but, in tight single track I tend I want a little breathing room for the boys. Yeah yeah fall to the side, but sometimes you don't get to choose how you fall. If I end up not liking the 19" I gotta go back to the drawing board. The 1350 price is for only that 19".

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bikethenbeer View Post
    What size are you running? And what height/inseam/body type are you?
    The bike is a 19", now I'm thinking it is too big. I have short legs, long Torso. 5'11". Stand over is 32.5 and very tight for me. My inseam is about 31. I wear 32 dress pants, 30 jeans. Now I know stand over isn't end all be all, but, in tight single track I tend I want a little breathing room for the boys. Yeah yeah fall to the side, but sometimes you don't get to choose how you fall. If I end up not liking the 19" I gotta go back to the drawing board. The 1350 price is for only that 19".
    I'm 5'9" and ride a 17" frame. My inseam seems pretty similar to yours based on pant size description.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Jamis Dragon 650B

Well, I decided to pass on the bike. It's too big. It is at wheel and sprocket in delafield wisconsin if anyone wants to grab a great deal.

mtbr member
    If it doesn't fit it doesn't matter how good a deal it is. You did the smart thing.
    He who dares....wins!