mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Jamis Dakota Sport 09

This is my first quality bike. I paid 750$ shipped for this bike from Jensen's USA. How good are these frames? I know this bike is light and came fully assembled at 28lbs. I like most of the stock components and do not plan to upgrade any parts except the rims. I've heard that the rims that came on this bike are crappy (alex 17) what rims would you recommend as a upgrade for less than 100$ a rim? They have to be disk ready. Most would consider a bike like this a solid mid level hardtail right? And if so am I justified in upgrading this bike slowly over time or should I just enjoy it now and buy another more expensive bike in a couple/3 years? I would love to hear some input from more knowledgeable riders. Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I would just upgrade it slowly over time. As you find things you aren't satisfied with just change them. For instance if you find after a few years you don't like the fork and see a deal on one, swap them. Same with brakes, wheels etc...

I wouldn't worry too much about the wheel-set too much at this point, just use them up. If you find they can't be trued (wobble) squeek and can't be fixed then I'd get a new set. But if I were to recommend a set like you're describing, jenson had a set of deore disc hubs on a rhyno wheel set which are adequate around $100 for the pair. Its what I put on my Dakar and are fine.

Yes there are some who are of the opinion you have to spend hundreds to get the top of the line best and everything else is junk. Then again I'm not hardcore jumping off boulders or anything crazy, ask yourself where you're at and go from there.
    Rule # 59. "Free advice is seldom cheap."