mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Jamis Dakar XLT quirks?

Hi all, just wondering if anybody using Dakar XLT to experience loose suspension linkage bolts?

Yesterday while riding round the neighborhood, the bike seems to develop an unusual amount of squeaking noises when I pedaled (standingup) and some small jumps.

I thought the bearings has given up but upon close inspection, all the bolts is loosen! Especially the big bolts near the BB area. Tighten it up and all is quiet now.

This is my first FS, so I'm not sure if regular tightening of the linkage bolts is part of the maintainence or it's only applicable for Dakar XLT or maybe it's only happened on my bike.

I got the frame used for around 1 month now. It started to get squeaky round last week.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Bump!

mtbr member
    I have several Jamis FS bikes over the years and one oddity, the seatposts seem to squeak. A little light grease helps. As you've notice, an FS bike is going to require more maintenance than a hardtail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Yesterday did a through checks to find the squeak that has turned into a clunk. More or less found that the the seatstay bearing's shot.

Would it still be rideable? Like XC trails and etc?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaizer
    Yesterday did a through checks to find the squeak that has turned into a clunk. More or less found that the the seatstay bearing's shot.

Would it still be rideable? Like XC trails and etc?

Yea it is still rideable but you should replace it first chance you get. It will eventually fall apart. the bolt running through it will hold it all together so you will not have a major accident but it will be scary because it will give you alot of slop. Once this happens stop riding immediately to keep from damaging your frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks for the headsup. I've since replaced all the bearings. Rides like new now. Appreciated it.

I'm SUCH a square....
    My XLT needed some attention at the main pivot, just above the BB, but I haven't had to do that for over a year now (pulled it all apart, cleaned and re-torqued). There was a tiny bit of play here and there, but mostly, mine's been solid under my 235-240!

I'm estimating 14,000 miles on this bike, and it still rides like new.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Hi bigpedaler, thanks for the info. Yeah, the main pivot needs regular tightening on mine. Checked with a few XLT owners and seems like they're also having the same experience.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

replace

Anyone know where to order a replacement bolt for the main pivot, came down hard and a bit sideways and sheared it, thankfully it failed before wrecking the frame

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Jamis XLT Parts and bearing puller

Check out this for part numbers and spec details on each part for the frame.

http://jamisbikes.com/usa/tech/index.html

Go to the bottom of the page and select your frame under the sections called "JAMIS SUSPENSION FRAME INFORMATION" I have been able to find some part like screws and bearings at some of my local hardware stores. I bet you could google just about any of these parts with spec details and someone would have them if not contacting Jamis directly.

As for the parts coming lose I had this issue about a year ago this caused one of my bearings to fail. It was a pain to remove it. So I started using lots of blue loc tight on all my frame bolts and screws. Have not had a problem since.

I am currently building a bearing puller to help replace the bearings before they fully fail. I will keep you updated on how it goes and how I built it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Bearing Puller for Jamis XLT

Here are some photos of my custom made bearing pulling working on my Jamis Dakar XLT.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jamis Dakar XLT quirks?-photo-1.jpg  

Jamis Dakar XLT quirks?-photo-2.jpg  

Jamis Dakar XLT quirks?-photo-3.jpg  

Jamis Dakar XLT quirks?-photo-4.jpg  

Jamis Dakar XLT quirks?-photo-6.jpg  

Jamis Dakar XLT quirks?-photo-7.jpg  

Jamis Dakar XLT quirks?-photo-8.jpg  

Jamis Dakar XLT quirks?-photo-9.jpg  

Jamis Dakar XLT quirks?-photo-10.jpg  

Jamis Dakar XLT quirks?-photo-11.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Jamis XLT Parts and bearing puller

More images of the bearing puller in work. And an image of why the bearing failed. The ring that holds the balls in place split.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jamis Dakar XLT quirks?-photo-12.jpg  

Jamis Dakar XLT quirks?-photo-13.jpg  

Jamis Dakar XLT quirks?-photo-14.jpg