mtbr member
    May 2008

Jamis Dakar XLT 3.0 build up

I was just looking at getting a 2006 Jamis Dakar XLT 3.0 frame for $450, I was just wonder how much you guys spent on building up similar dakar's? This frame comes with the Fox Talas rear shock. So do you think I could build up the rest of the bike for under a grand with decent components? I know i'm not going to get a super light bike I just want some thing solid .I will be mostly using the bike for XC. Any recommendations on components?

Thanks Dan

mtbr member

I think you could.

You won't get anything too fancy, but you'll get a really solid 32 pound capable bike.

It's what I did with my XLT.

Wheels and fork are going to eat up $500-600 of that $1000 budget.

Check Greenfish and PricePoint.. they always seem toi have last year's top of the line stuff for pennies on the dollar.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Fasttrack2fredom
    I was just looking at getting a 2006 Jamis Dakar XLT 3.0 frame for $450, I was just wonder how much you guys spent on building up similar dakar's? This frame comes with the Fox Talas rear shock. So do you think I could build up the rest of the bike for under a grand with decent components? I know i'm not going to get a super light bike I just want some thing solid .I will be mostly using the bike for XC. Any recommendations on components?

Thanks Dan
    $450 is too much for the frame. You can get brand new XAM frames on ebay for $399.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I spent $500 for my XLT frame last year and I don't regret it. I have the Manitou 4-Way, which I love. I put about $1600 in the build figuring I can always replace the frame later. The first build came out around 32lbs, but I have just bought new wheels that should put me in around high 30 to low 31. Is it the best frame, probably not, is it a pretty good frame, yup. I have punished this bike with good results and I weigh in around 210 on light day. The best part is spec'n your own parts out. I have looked for XAMs but I have not had any luck finding one.

I'm SUCH a square....
    I have the 2005 XLT 1.0 frame, paid $450 (three months later, it was $400), and put about $1450 into the build -- but then, I got exactly what i wanted on the bike, too. Lotsa RaceFace, X.9 drivetrain, Avid 203/185 discs, etc.

Smart shopping can put you on it and rolling for a grand, maybe a touch more. And you WILL ROLL!!!
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member

Suggestion

If you have the budget, I would STRONGLY suggest the XLT frame with a FOX ProPedal shock such as the RP3 or RP23. The XLT does not come with either of these FOX shocks, but I just upgraded from the OEM Manitou Swinger 3-way that my XLT 1.0 came with to a FOX RP3.

Let me tell you, this is a COMPLETELY different bike. Night and Day. It is better beyond words than it was with the SPV shock. You can get a RP3 (used like I did) for around $150-200. So get the XLT 1.0 and upgrade the shock with the money you would save by NOT buying the XLT 2.0 or 3.0.