mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Jamis Dakar XLT 07'

Hi all, wondering if anybody know the Fox FLOAT R (200 x 50mm) that comes with it is a high volume or low volume canister?

Or is there any other additional info regarding that particular year FLOAT R I can chew on?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I'm 99% sure it's a standard Fox Float R w/ non-adjustable propedal and standard air can. It works pretty good. I have an 05 XLT 1.0 and 2.0 and put one on that. I am running a Monarch 2.0 on the other. That has no platform and I'm liking it. It's an OEM shock that can be found on ebay if you have any interest.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    How does it ride without the platform dampening? Was thinking of sending it for mod to take out the PP, as current I can't get it to ride plush without bottoming out.

mtbr member
    I like it without platform. If you want a recommendation, pick up the Monarch 2.1 from eBay fot less than $80, 200mmX50mm, and try it rather than send yours in. A rebuild will cost more than that. It takes the same shock mounting hardware. The Tune is "D" which works good with the Dakars rising rate ad 2.5:1 ratio. I'm approx 240lbs...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Hi RS, thanks forth recommendations. Appreciated it.

I'm looking for a slightly longer travel, approximately 2.25", would it fit without any clearance problem?. Also the FloatR is quite stiff, Im looking for a plusher shock, maybe I need a high volume air can?

mtbr member
    I find the rs pretty plush. I doubt you can put a shock with more travel, it barely clears the brace now. I hv can may help, but being heavy, it won't work for me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I see. You're referring to the brace where on full contraction there might have clearance issue right? Mine's a 07, I believe Jamis have moved the position of the brace to the front of the seat tube, instead of the earlier gens where the brace is after the seat tube. There for it might not have the clearance for a longer eye to eye shock on full extension, but should be able to accommodate a longer travel shock as long as the eye to eye remains at 200mm I think?

I saw this pix on the net, it says it's a 9" Eye to eye customized.

mtbr member
    Hmmm, I don't think I can offer anything else. I have not seen an 07 frame so you may be right. So you model has no brace in front of the wheel? I personally would not put a different shock on, it handles great as it is. But it looks as though other people have.I see 5" of travel perfect for the bike.

I'm SUCH a square....
    I don't like air shocks, and I run a Manitou Metel R coil on my '05 XLT. It's 7.875x2.25, and I've bottomed the shock with no frame clash.

I think it's sweet, and mates up well with the Nixon Comp on the front (5.7" travel).

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpedaler
    I don't like air shocks, and I run a Manitou Metel R coil on my '05 XLT. It's 7.875x2.25, and I've bottomed the shock with no frame clash.

I think it's sweet, and mates up well with the Nixon Comp on the front (5.7" travel).

I also have the Nixon Comp coil on the front of my 2005 XLT. The frame came with a Fox Talas on the rear. I can reduce the eye to eye measurement by .5" with the flick of a lever. It slacks the bike out nicely but makes climbing difficult.