mtbr member

Jamis Dakar XCT 3 Bike '11 - opinions?

Thoughts on this compared to a Trek Fuel EX8 or similar? I've research it as much as I could, but info is so limited on this model and company.

The XCT 3 is designed to be a light, nimble trail/AM bike that can adapt to a variety of terrains and riding styles. A full carbon frame mated with a Shimano drive train make the XCT 3 a race ready trail shredder.
    Full high modulus carbon main frame, stays and bell crank, Dyad XC Ultra lay-up, 130mm travel mp4 linkage design, SST size-specific tube diameters, tapered head tube, asymmetrical chainstays, stainless steel chainstay protector, cartridge bearing pivots, Rock Shox Monarch RT with 10mm hardware, replaceable derailleur hanger
    Rock Shox Sektor RL fork with Motion Control damping, external rebound damping, 32mm stanchions, 15mm thru-axle, tapered alloy steerer, 140mm travel
    FSA Orbit 1.5 Zero-Stack internal cup headset, for tapered head tube, 30mm shim stack
    WTB Laser Disc Trail wheeleset with Laser Disc Lite sealed cartridge 15mm thru axle front and 12 x 135mm thru axle rear disc hubs, Maxle Lite rear axle, WTB butted spokes
    Geax Gato 2.3 front and AKA 2.2 rear, folding tires
    Shimano SLX M663 Shadow rear and SLX M661 34.9mm top pull front derailleurs
    Shimano SLX M660 Rapidfire Plus SL shifters, 10-speed
    KMC X10SL chain
    Shimano HG81 cassette, 11-34, 10-speed
    Shimano SLX M660 Hollowtech II crankset, 42/32/24, 170mm (15), 175mm (17-21)
    Shimano SLX integrated bottom bracket
    Avid Elixir 3 hydraulic disc brakes with 185mm front & 160mm rear rotors
    Ritchey Comp Rizer handlebars, 31.8 x 20mm rise x 670mm
    Ritchey Comp 4-Axis stem, 6 x 90mm (15), 100mm (17-19), 120mm (21)
    Jamis Lock-On, dual density grips
    Ritchey Comp 2B OS seatpost, 31.6 x 400mm, with alloy clamp & cromo seatpin
    WTB Vigo Race saddle, chromoly rails

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I just finished building my 2011 XCT 4. It an incredible bike. I can't really compare it to the trek as I came off a giant. What I can say is that the giant was the most efficient pedaling bike I owned and while the Jamis is just a hair more bobby I can still easily top difficult climbs here in the northeast. I would say that the jamis would be a much better rig the the trek especially when you factor in costs. I would go for it and not look back.

mtbr member
    nice!

i wish there was more posters on Jamis

mtbr member
    Someone got that email from JensonUSA. Those are some pretty good deals.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    i like the XCT3, but when comparing components like front and rear suspensions/brakes etc - it seems like the EX8 is better. i guess jamis had to meet a price point since it's a carbon frame?