'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006

Jamis Dakar XC Expert / XLT 3.0 Headset ?

I have been doing alot of research about FS XC/AM bikes lately and it seems that Jamis takes the cake for the value/quality ratio. I am debating between an 05 XC Expert or an 04 XLT 3.0, and I am upgrading from an 06 Ironhorse Warrior Expert hardtail. I am going to be transferring most of my current stuff over to the new frame, but as I have been looking, I have noticed that the Jamis requires a different "internal cup headset". I currently have a cane creek zero stack hs. This is going to sound stupid, but what is the difference? Any recommendations for a good reasonably priced HS? Also, do you think I will have any problems with my fork tube length? (both the IH and the Jamis take a 1/18 steerer tube, and both frames are 19", would that be a problem?) Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by matamua
    I have noticed that the Jamis requires a different "internal cup headset". I currently have a cane creek zero stack hs. This is going to sound stupid, but what is the difference? Any recommendations for a good reasonably priced HS? Also, do you think I will have any problems with my fork tube length? (both the IH and the Jamis take a 1/18 steerer tube, and both frames are 19", would that be a problem?) Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Actually Jamis also uses zero stack headsets on the models you've mentioned, so your old headset should be transferable over also. As far as fork tube length goes, it really depends on the particular frame... even though its a 19" frame the headtube length can vary with model and brand. I know a 2005 Dakar XC Expert has a 140mm long headtube if that helps. Best to measure the head tube on your existing bike and compare to the one you want to move to. Also take into account any spacers between the top of the headset and the stem... you can remove or add some if need be to compensate.

Karl

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006
    Thanks Karl.

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006

BB Question

Karl,

I bought the '05 Dakar expert and it should be here in the next few days. I have been trying to find out what size the BB shell is. On the Jamis site, you can see the spec sheet for 2006 and 2007 bikes. For the Expert, they only say that the BB is a Truvativ GigaX external bearing, and don't list the size. The plain XC says that it takes a 68x113 BB. I have a 73 MegaExo currently. What are you running?

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by matamua
    Karl,

I bought the '05 Dakar expert and it should be here in the next few days. I have been trying to find out what size the BB shell is. On the Jamis site, you can see the spec sheet for 2006 and 2007 bikes. For the Expert, they only say that the BB is a Truvativ GigaX external bearing, and don't list the size. The plain XC says that it takes a 68x113 BB. I have a 73 MegaExo currently. What are you running?
    Well I'm not running anything yet, as I'm still waiting for a replacement chain stay to replace cracked one. You would do well to closely inspect your frame when it arrives for signs the problem mine had... see Cracked Dakar XC Expert pivot if you haven't already.

As for the bottom bracket, I measured mine and can confirm the shell is 68 mm in width. I'm planning on going old school and installing a Shimano UN-72 68x110 mm square taper bottom bracket.

Karl