mtbr member
    Apr 2007

jamis dakar XC comp question? Please help

I am thinking about purchasing a 2004 jamis dakar XC comp for $900 new, is this a good deal? Secondly I am 5'11 and a half with a standover of like 32.5-33, will this bike be to big, and lastly I would probably like to ride the bike on some paved roads also, if you pump up the rear shock enough can you pretty much cancel out pedal bob with this bike (a little concerned about the no lock out feature). Thanks much to anyone who replies.

Former Bike Wrench
    1. $900 seems like a relatively good price for a XC Comp...not a smoking deal, but not bad.

2. You didn't provide a size...so I have no idea if it will fit or not. I will say a 19.5" would be the right size though

3. Personally, I think lock-outs are dumb on FS bikes...but the Fox Float can be pumped up to about 300psi safely so if you feel the need...you can stiffen the shock quite a bit.

KRISDALA BAKA!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have an 04 Comp. I bought it new in the summer of 04, I love the bike and I have pretty much upgraded everything on the bike since new. It was a decently spec'd bike new but as I started getting serious about racing, I was able to easily put money into for a great race bike. Though that is not your intention, this is merely to illustrate the quality of the bike.

You can definately pump the shock up for a stiffer ride. I did that for a stiffer suspension for racing. But I have since PUSH'd the shock and now keep the pressure set lower for a plusher feel and the pro pedal works better now than when new.

As far as paved riding, it's doable, but I would not like to do it on that bike unless I had some smooth tires to put on and go. And even then the thought would not appeal to me. But that's just me, you may like it just fine. My preference, if I was in you shoes, is to go out and throw a few hundred bucks into a hard tail or roadie.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

thanks for the replies

Sorry I didn't include the bikes size, that makes it a little tough to know if it would fit. It is a 19 inch, so from your message it should fit. I have a hardtail, but have only road a few full suspensions. I plan on using the bike mostly for trail use obviously, but am going on a trip with my father in a few weeks and will do some trail (he is borrowing my hardtail) and probably some paved riding as he likes to do paved. He doesn't go to fast, just a leisurely ride so it sounds like the jamis will do fine if I pump up the shock a little tight. So the 2004 jamis has the propedal? I wasn't sure if it did? What exactly does "pushed" mean, like broke it in sorda? I am pretty knew to full susp bikes and XC riding. Thanks again for both replies.

mtbr member

to things to tell you

check out jenson mail order right now they are having some smoking deals on jenson bikes right now.
    http://www.jensonusa.com/

pushed is a company which will tune your shock and make adjustments which in many peoples opinion makes the shocks ride better but most likily voids your warrenty.

KRISDALA BAKA!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yes the 04 Comp has a Fox Float R shock, which is a pro pedal platform. Daisy is correct in the description of a Push'ed shock. It makes a tremendous leap in ride quality from stock. And I had mine pushed after 2 and a half years of riding it well past it's warranty.