mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Jamis Dakar XAM 1.0 or not....?

I can pick up a 2007 Jamis Dakar XAM 1.0 for $1800 out the door at my LBS. Considering that this bike's MSRP is $1900 + tax, is that a good deal?

About the bike...

I have heard that the DHX Air 3.0 has a few problems.
    http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Rear_Sho...t_128270.shtml

The wheelset is pretty low end for the bike.
    dakar XAM 1.0

The derailer hanger seems to bend (loktight may fix this issue)
    dakar XAM 1.0

Considering these issues, are there any other downsides to this bike? The rear shock would be a big issue if it would need to be replaced every month or so. The derailer hanger issue as well. When spending $1800 on a bike, I would like to think that the wheelset would be good enough for a while. It seems as if its heavy and lacks performance. What would a good replacement wheelset be that would be light, durable as well as affordable?

I doubt that I'll ever get this bike. If it was $1600 i'd have a easier time considering it. But I do like the design of the frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    id tell you to shop online and see if you can beat that deal. i would also tell you that there is a mob of people on here that have them and love them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Why post

"I can pick up a 2007 Jamis Dakar XAM 1.0 for $1800 out the door at my LBS. Considering that this bike's MSRP is $1900 + tax, is that a good deal?"

and
    "I doubt that I'll ever get this bike."

in the same thread?

It's not really that great of a deal. Closeout '07's should be less than that and it's getting late in the year.

Muhuhahaha
    My friend got a 1.0 and paid about 1600 for it. He likes it but I think he wants another bike more high end just because his brother -in-law has a Heckler. I think the 1.0 is a great bike for the money and something that you can replace parts on as needed. But if you are not to hard on it, it should last you awhile.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonsmasher
    He likes it but I think he wants another bike more high end just because his brother -in-law has a Heckler.
    1. While the Heckler is a nice bike...I don't consider it more high end than an XAM. The only thing that would make it "more high end" would be the build.

2. Why does he need a Heckler b/c his brother-in-law has one?

But if you are not to hard on it, it should last you awhile.
    The Heckler isn't a tougher bike than the XAM. You can flog it just fine. Just don't ride outside of it's intended purpose of All Mountain.

Muhuhahaha
    [QUOTE=chelboed

2. Why does he need a Heckler b/c his brother-in-law has one?

The Heckler isn't a tougher bike than the XAM. You can flog it just fine. Just don't ride outside of it's intended purpose of All Mountain.[/QUOTE]

I think just cause his brother-in-law has one he thinks he needs one. Now the heckler that he has is nice and built up for his type of riding. Taking some big drops and ruff trails I think that type of riding is what he wants to grow to. But I keep telling him be happy with the XAM. He keeps up with his brother-in-law when they ride. So I think that show how well of a bike the XAM is. I'm looking at getting a FS next year some time. Thinking of a Yeti if I can afford it but looking at the XAM 1.0 or 2.0 for the money saveing that I would be doing in getting the XAM line. I like what I see in the Jamis line of XAM and it would do everything that I would want to do.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I think just cause his brother-in-law has one he thinks he needs one. Now the heckler that he has is nice and built up for his type of riding. Taking some big drops and ruff trails I think that type of riding is what he wants to grow to. But I keep telling him be happy with the XAM. He keeps up with his brother-in-law when they ride. So I think that show how well of a bike the XAM is. I'm looking at getting a FS next year some time. Thinking of a Yeti if I can afford it but looking at the XAM 1.0 or 2.0 for the money saveing that I would be doing in getting the XAM line. I like what I see in the Jamis line of XAM and it would do everything that I would want to do.
    Ahhh...Yeti. Now we're talkin' high end!

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a Heckler just for the weight savings...but with as good of luck that I've had with my XLT...I figure an XAM is going to be my next move if they're even around when I'm ready to buy a new one.

Muhuhahaha
    I'm looking at the yeti as one of the dream bikes that I would only have one that I could talk my wife in to LOL... I do lke to save money thats why I have been looking at the XAM. The lbs where I live will give me a good deal on one. Like I said I think the XAM seems to be a grat bike I would not mind haveing one and then upgrade things on it down the road.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I just had the option to get an 07' XAM 1.0 for around $1550. But after looking at the 08' XAMs i went that route.Jamis seems to have fixed most of the problems from last year with the R.D.s and wheelset is a little better.Plus they added 1" more of travel now too.

My 08' wont be here until mid november,but its cool,i'm coming off a hand injury and wont beable to ride till about dec. any way.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I have a XAM 1.0, and I can tell you that I flog the hell out of that bike! No really- I beat the piss out of it. It is not abuse- per se- it is just hard riding- tons of torque and it has held up just fine.
    MY LBS that sold me the bike, is very satisfied that this bike is well made, as the owner and I ride together and he can attest to my enjoyment level!
    Upgrade as the parts fail, but I am telling you- good preventative maint, a good shop to keep you in the pink and you'll be saving $ for a while on the first failure!
    Keep the rubber side down!

Muhuhahaha
    The XAM 1.0 just made moutain big mag top 12 bikes of 2007, right along with the heckeler and the moto light.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have a XAM 1.0, and I can tell you that I flog the hell out of that bike! No really- I beat the piss out of it. It is not abuse- per se- it is just hard riding- tons of torque and it has held up just fine.
    MY LBS that sold me the bike, is very satisfied that this bike is well made, as the owner and I ride together and he can attest to my enjoyment level!
    Upgrade as the parts fail, but I am telling you- good preventative maint, a good shop to keep you in the pink and you'll be saving $ for a while on the first failure!
    I'll second that

I haven't had any problems with my bike and i ride it really hard. I've done plently of jumps and drops. Fast downhills. Long XC rides. I rode On the Uwharrie OHV saturday, which is basically a huge rock garden, and it held up fine.

Me and Clyde S. Dale both go to IRIDE which is an awesome bike shop.