mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Jamis Dakar sport?

I bought a used 2003 Jamis Dakar Sport a few months ago ($350). Basically knew nothing about Mt. Bikes. Since then I have learned that several components were worn out. Since then I've done a complete pivot overhaul, replaced the worn rear derailleur, upgraded the wheels, cables, added clipless pedals, etc.

Now I see that the left crank (square shaft) is worn and keeps coming loose.
    I would just as soon upgrade the whole crankset. The bike shop guy says that to upgrade it would be about $250?
    Isn't there somethiing that is less expensive, but would still be a good step-up from the stock part?

Lastly, does anyone know about the 2003 Dakar Spo (the framert --is it worth upgrading or did I just make a mistake?

I like the bike and would like to keep it for a while though it's sorta heavy (32 lbs.).

I really appreciate any advice and thanks in advance for your patience.

John

Former Bike Wrench

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! $250 for a square taper crankset?????

Your bike shop is trying to screw you...you should be able to pick up a Shimano square taper crankset for under $70 from a bike shop. It may be a 9 speed one which means you'll need a new chain (if your bike is currently 8 speed). That might run $20-25 and as long as your cassette is OK your still under $100 parts plus say $20-30 labor. If a new cassette is needed, $30 will cover a new 8 speed cassette. That is still way under $250

$250 will buy you a whole new highend Crankset/BB. I have to assume this is what the bike shop is talking about. But the Jamis Dakar Sport is a $850 bike NEW so I wouldn't invest too much more into it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Hey I REALLY appreciate the advice--
    Thanks!

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Just remember that $250 probably included a new BB, cranks, AND labor. That still seems a tad high. However, if you are riding and old chain and cassette you should replace them along with the new cranks. I'd like to assume most bike shops aren't trying to "screw" anyone, but there may be a lot of parts and time included in that $250.

Whenever I quote a repair that seems high and gets questioned once I explain all the parts and time involved it all adds up to a fair price.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

if you are at all mechanically inclined...

...find someone to show you how to do it yourself or get a hold of a decent book & learn it that way. With the exception of having a BB shell faced or other similar frame prep work, I haven't had to use the services of LBS mechanic in many, many years. I agree that most LBS's aren't out to cheat people, however, like anything, there are lousy shops out there too. Knowing even a minimal amount can help you from getting taken to the cleaners and probably save you a few $$$ along the way. Welcome to the world of mountain biking - glad you're here & I'm sure you'll enjoy it!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Hey thanks for the "welcome to the world of mountain biking!"

Actually, I got two moutain bike repair books after I went out and crashed and screwed up the rear derailluer on my first trip out (not to mention hyperextending my fingers on my right hand, the result of which took me to a hand surgeon).
    Since then I bought some tools and have replaced the two crummy wheels with a couple of Mavic crossrides and replaced all my cables and brake pads. I also did a complete pivot overhaul--so I've been sorta brave about repairs alreaady. The crankset replacement sounds the most difficult operation yet, but like you said, I should just do it myself.
    If you don't mind my asking, what tools will I need besides a crank puller...?

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Basically you just need the correct tool to remove the bottom bracket.

The Park Tool site has some good info here -http://www.parktool.com/repair/byregion.asp?catid=61&imageField2.x=26&imageField2.y=10

Frankly replacing the the BB and cranks is pretty easy. You should be able to handle it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    ...or take the bike to the shop and have them pull the bottom bracket for you, which should cost less than $20. One of the newer cranksets with external bearings (like LX or XT) is super easy to install if you have the special bottom bracket tool. I have seen an LX for around $100, and the tool costs $20. So that's about $140 dollars for the upgrade, plus you get to keep the tools.

Former Bike Wrench
    Bottom bracket replacement is super easy...easier than replacing pivot bearings/bushings. With the correct tool, its a piece of cake. One thing to remember when removing/installing a BB is that the driveside is reverse threads (both sides tighten to the rear of the bike)

The exception is Italian threads...but you don't have that so don't worry about it.

Good luck and be brave...it really is very easy and pretty hard to screw up

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Like this one?

Shimano LX FC-M580 Crankset

Jenson-$161

Saw one on ebay for $109 + shpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Right. Jenson was selling those for around $100 ($89 I think) a few months ago. I've also seen them for $125 when I was shopping for a new crankset.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Hey thanks again--!