mtbr member

Jamis D29 Team = AWESOME!!

I though I would post a few pictures of my new bike. I got to ride this bike at the interbike dirt demo and knew this would be my next bike.

Here I am testing out the bike at the Dirt Demo.

I ended up buying the frame only and moving all my parts over from my Niner EMD.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Nice bike!
    14 S-Works Epic WC
    14 Yeti ARC
    14 S-Works Crux Disc
    15 Echo Big Deal

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    MORE PICS OF THAT CARBON LAYUP PLEASE! Looks awesome!
    09 Jamis XCT2 Marzocchi RC3 ti forks, XT/XTR drivetrain, Mavic Crossrides/ Kenda Nevegal DTC=29lbs

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    cooper58,

You wrote that you purcahsed the frame by itself and then built up the bike to your own specs. Did you happen to weigh the frame by itself? If so, what is the weight and what size is your frame?

I ask because I have a 2011 Dakota D29 and I would like to know approximately what my frame weighs without having to removing all the components.

Thanks.
    Last edited by coldryder; 01-09-2012 at 11:36 AM.

mtbr member
    I checked the frame out of the box (size 15") with the headset cups and seatpost collar attached and in came in at 3.2 pounds.

My complete build with not so light wheels comes in at 23 pounds as it sits.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Cooper58,

Thanks for the information.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Cooper58, we couldn't agree with you more!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Cooper58,

Based on your feedback and that from another forum, I've determined that my 19" 2011 Dakota D29 frame weighs about 1500gm to 1550gm. This explains why I haven't been able to get the darn thing nder 9kg. The frame is really heavy for a carbon frame! It's a pity really. Jamis saves money by spec'ing boat anchor carbon on its 29er carbon frames.

mtbr member
    Once I get a lighter wheelset I'll be in the 21 to 22 pound range. I think that's fine for a hardtail with a suspension fork. You don't see many hard tail bikes with a suspension fork under 21 pounds unless you paying major $$$ for something like an Specialized S-Works

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    You're missing my point. Given the same parts on two different bikes, the Jamis D29 carbon frame will still run heavier, in some cases by over 500 grams (1 pound = 430 grams). The Scott Scale RC frame is around 950 grams. Even the Niner Air 9 Carbon, which is no weight weenie, comes in at 1200 grams, over half a pound less than the Jamis. The Jamis weigh penalty would be more acceptable if you received something in return. For example, if Jamis' geometry made for a more balanced or more manuerverable bike. Instead, compared to other carbon 29er cross country bikes I have ridden, the geometry is a bit sluggish.

The only thing the Jamis has going for it is price point. The frame alone retails for $1500. However, it's still within $400 to $500 of frames that are lighter and have better geometry, e.g. The Niner Air 9 Carbon @ $1900.

So, I still like my Jamis D29 carbon framed bike, but it's nothing special as far as frames go.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

XT Cranks

Awesome bike! (regardless of the weight)
    I have a frame on the way and want to use XT cranks I already have.
    What BB/adapter did you use for your XTR cranks?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ncmtb View Post
    Awesome bike! (regardless of the weight)
    I have a frame on the way and want to use XT cranks I already have.
    What BB/adapter did you use for your XTR cranks?
    SRAM makes a PF30 adapter for standard bottom brackets.

mtbr member
    Consider Niner's new Air 9 carbon frame at 1190 grams, Scott Scale at 950 grams, the list goes on. Jamis needs to up its game and get a lighter frame for its top of the line hardtail, 1500 grams is WAAAAY overweight for modern carbon hardtail frames. Sure you can build it light if you spend a fortune on other super light parts, but at 1500 grams for the frame you are starting yourself off in a deep hole.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper58 View Post
    I though I would post a few pictures of my new bike. I got to ride this bike at the interbike dirt demo and knew this would be my next bike.

Here I am testing out the bike at the Dirt Demo.

The Jamis d29 frame may be a little heavier than the ultra-flyweights out there, but you can do this with it and not have to worry about the landing. I have been riding one for the last year set up in a more AM configuration and have done things on it you probably shouldn't do to a "race" bike and in every instance I am impressed at how stout this frame is even though my complete bike weight is only 24.7 lbs....basically stock 19", except with much bigger tires.
    Looking for/WTB : Grove Innovations Assault Fork, Grove Innovation Hammerhead Stem or Hothead Bar Stem

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    That's all well and good if you want an AM bike. But the d29 is marketed as a cross country and I am a cross country racer. I don't need to jump the damn thing.
    Last edited by coldryder; 02-27-2012 at 10:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Here is the weight of my bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I like that cooper58, let the scale do the talking

I'm posting this here since both bikes I'm interesting in are mentioned here. I have a $5,000 budget and I'm debating between the Jamis Dakota D29 Team and the Niner Air 9 Carbon X0 package; I can't jump into XX or XTR right now.

I've looked at other bikes/packages and I can't put anything together for under 5k, I'm open to suggestions.

I've been riding at Markham Park, South Florida for over 4 years, currently have a 2010 Trek Fuel EX 8.
    Damian