mtbr member

Jamis Cross Country 1.0

I have a Jamis Cross Country 1.0 and am considering upgrading the bike. I was wondering what the best thing to upgrade would be and what to upgrade it with. Any help would be great, thanks a lot.

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    I'm a firm believer that the best upgrade for most bikes is the wheels. You'll notice a big improvement by decreasing rotating mass. You might be able to accomplish this by going to a lighter tire, too. Unfortunately, new wheelsets can cost over $300. You'll get a lot out of the expense, though. A new shifterset, while cost effective, really won't give you the same result.

You could also upgrade the fork. That's a good place to upgrade. Maybe put an air-sprung fork on with rebound and compression options so you can dial in how you want the bike to handle.

New wheels will make it feel like a whole new bike. Faster acceleration and handling. That's my vote.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser

mtbr member
    I've been thinking about a wheelset because I would also like to go to disc brakes before long.

thanks man

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Hell just upgrading the tires makes a difference on low end bikes. But particular noteworthy cheap upgrades on that model include the handlebar (its steel and weighs a lot), tires, fork, crankset/bottom bracket in that order of value (in terms of dollars spent to grams saved).

The bar is, double checking the one I pulled off a CC 2.0 a couple months ago... 460 grams so fractionally over a pound, the crankset alone is a good two pounds, the bottom bracket about 3/4 of a pound, the tires are a couple pounds each, and the fork is about 5 pounds.

This handlebar is $20 and 240grams lighter for example.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Tyres, wheels then fork. But seriously just replacing those with something decent would cost more than the bike cost. I would just put some good tyres on and then ride it until it dies and buy a better complete bike, cost less in the long run.