Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Is Jamis Any Good?

I'm thinking about buying a Jamis bike. Is the product/brand/company on a par with the other big makers in terms of quality, support, responsiveness? Issues? Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    From everything I've heard and read 'yes' they are as good or better than most any other company. A benefit of Jamis is typically you can get a better spec'd bike than the compitition for a cheaper price.

Cheers and best of luck.

mtbr member
    thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Asking if Jamis is any good in the Jamis forum is not going to get you a very non-biased opinion! I love my Jamis. One thing to keep in mind (I tell this to anyone who will listen) is that most bike companies outsource their frame manufacturing to overseas companies. Giant and Kinesis are two of the biggest manufacturers of frames, then the American company just slaps their stickers on the frames. What this means is that the brand name on a bike is much less important than people think. Jamis' high end frames are made by Kinesis, who have a great reputation for building quality frames. Add on top of that that Jamis specs its bikes better than most of the competition and you have a great bike. I like Kinesis frames so much that I bought a Motobecane with a frame also made by Kinesis.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

NormalNorm
    +1 for Jamis bikes.....

I have a 2003 Jamis steel HT and love it. Great bike. You cant beat the prices too.

I have a friend that cracked his FS Jamis and was covered under warranty...no problem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Happy Jamis Owner

I rode Cannondales from 1997 through 2005, and I thought I never thought I would buy a bike manufactured by another company. Then, I found a nice deal on a Jamis Dakar and I figured I would take a chance. I've been riding a Jamis bike for the last few seasons now, and I can honestly say that I am extremely impressed with the Jamis. The company has a very good reputation, very friendly sales and customer service people, and from what I understand, the warranty department is very good, although I have no personal experience with them. The Jamis has held up very well and has actually surpassed my expectations. I actually bought a second Jamis (frame only) at the end of last season with the intention of building another bike. I would certainly recommend Jamis to any rider, but with that being said, they offer a lot of bikes. Make sure you pick one for your style of riding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Another nod for Jamis. Check jensonusa.com for Jamis deals. They have been giving great Jamis deals for years.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rhino biker
    Is Jamis Any Good?
    Yes

banned
    I've had my Dakar XC Expert for a year and 1000 miles. Had one warranty issue the first month, solved in less than a week. Customer service and Dru the warranty guy rapidly responded to all emails and sent parts FAST.

I like my ride and can honestly say it's a nice piece of equipment, nicely spec'd, and pretty damn good looking too. Kinda like myself.

I'm SUCH a square....
    15 months on my Dakar XLT, and the frickin' Manitou shock is the only problem I've had with it. If you can get a FS Jamis w/ a Fox shock, go for it. I'm a clyde, and this frame just keeps on truckin'.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

May 2008
    Hi all,

I have to say that Jamis is indeed a good brand. Testament to this is my friend, who has both MTB and race bikes, including hardtail and full-suspension. That is how I got into biking for exercise due to my busted knee from squash and badminton (can't run or jump anymore ).

I used my friends' Jamis Dakar hardtail to try out biking. His bike is around 8 years old, has lots of kms on it and is still going strong. He even bought a Jamis bike for his young daughter, and when I was canvassing the local bike shops as well as the internet for a suitable bike for my needs, the Jamis brand stood out.

I bought last month a red 2008 Jamis X Trail 3.0 24s, and am very pleased with it
    Cheers,

XC hardtail RP
    2008 Jamis Trail X 3.0 24S disc

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith
    Asking if Jamis is any good in the Jamis forum is not going to get you a very non-biased opinion! I love my Jamis. One thing to keep in mind (I tell this to anyone who will listen) is that most bike companies outsource their frame manufacturing to overseas companies. Giant and Kinesis are two of the biggest manufacturers of frames, then the American company just slaps their stickers on the frames. What this means is that the brand name on a bike is much less important than people think. Jamis' high end frames are made by Kinesis, who have a great reputation for building quality frames. Add on top of that that Jamis specs its bikes better than most of the competition and you have a great bike. I like Kinesis frames so much that I bought a Motobecane with a frame also made by Kinesis.
    Hey Guys,
    Thanks for all the kind words....and yes I will be very biased as a Jamis fan. And ljsmith, you are correct on a few things, Giant and Kinesis are to of the largest and best frame manufactures out there. However, it is not true that companies go to Asia and slap stickers on frames and call it a day. There maybe some companies that do that, but I can assure you Jamis does not do that. We design our frames / bikes from the ground up. We design everything from the suspension hardware, to tube shapes and everything in between. Now I am not here saying that we are the only company that does this and I a not saying that there are companies that dont do what you say.. But I want to let everyone know that we take pride in designing our bikes.

Thanks again for the kind words..... I am gad to hear that you like your bikes and I have to let you all know that you are going to LOVE the bikes to come!

Have a great weekend and ENJOY the RIDE!

skip
    ]
    Craig "Skippy" Hoyt

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip
    Hey Guys,
    However, it is not true that companies go to Asia and slap stickers on frames and call it a day. There maybe some companies that do that, but I can assure you Jamis does not do that. We design our frames / bikes from the ground up.
    skip
    First let me say I absolutely love my Jamis. Second let me say that obviously you know more about how the frames are made than I do. But I can tell you that a Kinesis Maxlight XCPro2 looks amazingly similar to a Dakota Elite frame with a different paint job and decals. And the geometries are almost identical.

2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Dakota Elite

Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith
    First let me say I absolutely love my Jamis. Second let me say that obviously you know more about how the frames are made than I do. But I can tell you that a Kinesis Maxlight XCPro2 looks amazingly similar to a Dakota Elite frame with a different paint job and decals. And the geometries are almost identical.

Key words, Geo "almost identical" and the tube wall profiles are different.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    When I get paid, I intend on buying my first MTB which will be a Jamis. It was recommended to me up in Tahoe and ever since I have heard nothing but good about it. I'm looking forward to finally starting!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I have ridden a lot of bikes in my life. When I graduated I decided to buy a new bike for myself. After trying out a lot of different brands (there's like 6 different bike shops in my town) I went with a Jamis Dakar XC Pro. So far I am really liking it, one of my favorite bikes I've owned.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Does anyone have a contact number for Jamis? thanks!

Adam

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Adam, I am sending you a PM
    ]
    Craig "Skippy" Hoyt

mtbr member
    im interested in buying a jamis like a dakota sport or the durango 3. my local shop owner said they have the best components for the price out of any brand. i am also considering the specialized rockhopper disc and the gary fischer marling disc how does the dakota and durango stack up against those big name brands?

NormalNorm
    Quote Originally Posted by zbmoss
    im interested in buying a jamis like a dakota sport or the durango 3. my local shop owner said they have the best components for the price out of any brand. i am also considering the specialized rockhopper disc and the gary fischer marling disc how does the dakota and durango stack up against those big name brands?
    IMO, get the Jamis Dakota.

Better specs and warranty second to none.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by zbmoss
    Check with jensonusa.com to see how your prices line up.They also have Jamis bikes in the closeout section.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    what is the warrenty on jamis' bikes?
    i just bought a used 2005 durango sport SX: http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...20SX&Type=bike
    mine is silver though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I just purchased a new 08 Durango, and was told by my LBS that the frame has a lifetime warranty, but the components each have their own warranties.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Hey, PerfOrmance, I have that same bike! Silver frame and everything. I loved it, and rode it hard for three seasons. I recently moved up to a KHS Alite 2000, but still love my old Durango. One of these days I'll replace the fork and make it my guest/backup bike...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    LOL...I have a few Jamis bikes (Ventura Comp,a Quest, and recently Stolen Jamis Dakar XLT), and they have all been great! I recently had a Jamis Dakar XLT stolen, so the thieves must like Jamis bikes as well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast