mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Jamis 2005 xlt 2.0 broken chainstay

The ole gal had been creaking somewhere in the suspension pivot's a few weeks ago…and after hearing about all the bearing failures Jamis bikes seem to have I decided to pick up a set of Enduro bearings. Much to my surprise after removing the main chainstay pin I found a rather large crack directly below the bearing on the chainstay. I did not touch the bearings prior to this…nor did I have a need to replace them after. After calling Jamis the following day and describing the damage I was notified that they would indeed warranty it. A quick call to the not so local LBS (only Jamis dealer within 100miles) and a few day later the new chainstay arrived…and the not so local…not so friendly LBS started giving me the run around. I myself had an issue with being forced to have the LBS install the chainstay when I can without certain guarantee I am a more competent mechanic than a great deal of the LBS's I've dealt with. Being charged $65/hr labor was not going to happen…especially not when I would have to remove the chainstay after they install it to replace the stock bearings with Enduro's. Not only did they not seem to have any of the part terminology down, but they were rude and I (as was my friend that tagged along) was largely ignored. Even when we were trying to find out information on re-facing the disc brake tabs were we ignored (and it was really not that busy mind you).

Anyway, a big thumbs up for the Jamis warranty department for their great response time and a big thumbs down for the Jamis dealer who I will never get any buisness from myself nor any friends/family.

Oh…and for those who are interested, I'm attaching the pic of the crack.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    bummer about the crank and lousy service from the LBS... thumbs up to Jamis for stepping up and getting you back on the trail

mtbr member
    i know it's a little late,i just register today,i have one my self same year.when i ride alot of times i hear a craking noice,but i have no idea were it's coming from.maybe i should have my local bike shop do an inspection on it.
    live the ride
    ride the dream

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Kudos to Jamis for giving you the warranty, I just bought a brand new Jamis frame now too long ago, hopefully it will never break, but it's good to know that Jamis will come to the rescue if it does

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdirt1
    i know it's a little late,i just register today,i have one my self same year.when i ride alot of times i hear a craking noice,but i have no idea were it's coming from.maybe i should have my local bike shop do an inspection on it.
    I would defiantly get it checked out…if anything else just peace of mind. Before you do though make sure it's not something you can pinpoint yourself. Seat rails and bottom brackets are notorious for making creaking noises as well.

mtbr member
    It sounds like Jamis is pretty good about warranty support, but being forced to deal with a bike shop seems to be a mixed bag. I have seen so many bike shops which deal with lower-end stuff act like jerks, but I have seen some of the same thing with highend boutique shops as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I have a 2005 Dakar XLT that I've been riding for about a month. I know that a broken chainstay is in my future. I just wonder when. I'm afraid that by the time I break it, Jamis will be out of warrenty chainstays or they will say "too late, that frame is too old, we no longer warrenty it."

What do you guys think? I wonder if I can call Jamis up and ask for mine now...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kellyc
    I have a 2005 Dakar XLT that I've been riding for about a month. I know that a broken chainstay is in my future. I just wonder when. I'm afraid that by the time I break it, Jamis will be out of warrenty chainstays or they will say "too late, that frame is too old, we no longer warrenty it."

What do you guys think? I wonder if I can call Jamis up and ask for mine now...
    The way mine broke was caused from a manufacturing defect. From my understanding those instances are few and far between…and the chainstays themselves (if defect free) seem to be quite strong.

mtbr member
    Yeah, your bearings will go but I wouldn't be too concerned about the stays.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by millhouse
    The way mine broke was caused from a manufacturing defect. From my understanding those instances are few and far between…and the chainstays themselves (if defect free) seem to be quite strong.

So are you guys saying that if I had a defective chainstay it would have broke right away...on one of my first rides?

Do the bikes with the defective stays break right away?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kellyc
    So are you guys saying that if I had a defective chainstay it would have broke right away...on one of my first rides?

Do the bikes with the defective stays break right away?
    It's possible. Mine was broke without even knowing it.