mtbr member
    Oct 2007

i really need help

i am trying to get a bearing out of my seatstay since jamis is out out new ones and i can't just order a new one. i've been going at this thing with a screwdriver trying to pry it out for about 5 hours now and i'm really getting tired of it. does anyone know a trick to this. i already posted once a while back but all i got was the screwdriver approach, which isn't working for me. if anyone is near asheville i'd be willing to drive to meet you and even pay you to have you help me.

thanks for everything
    Neal

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006
    If you get really desperate, and know a good mechanic, I'd go to him. I had my mechanic help me get a stripped bolt out of my seat stay a while back. Have you tried some mild heat or penetrating lubricant? Do you have any pictures? Those things might stimulate more responses, so people know exactly what you are dealing with.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    nabecket,
    What year/model Dakar is the bike. Do you have access to a bearing puller and a propane torch?
    A bearing puller is designed to extract cartridge bearings. By apply light heat to the outer area of the casting the bearing is seated in will slightly expand the seat and aid in extracting the bearing.